THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    What's my rifle and extra's worth?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's my rifle and extra's worth?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 308 Ruger M-77 Mk II All-Weather (stainless w/ synthetic stock) I am considering selling. It has newer style Ruger synthetic stock. The rifle is two years old or so and has a total of maybe 250 rounds through it. Maybe half of those were reduced 30-30 level loads.

It has been fitted with an after market Timney adjustable trigger. I have a set of RCBS full length dies (the X-Die version) and 200 pieces of Remington brass (100 brass and 100 nickel) that I would include with the rifle.
The Leupold scope on the rifle will be staying with me.

What would a fair asking price for the group be?

Thanks,
Mark in GA

Posts: 552 | Location: Coastal Georgia | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing about $475 to $525.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Other than the trigger, $500 could almost buy a new one.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2578 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I also prefer SS guns with synth. stocks, and not to be frivilous, the gun is worth whatever someone will really give you for it. I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. Most buyers of used guns seem to want Blue steel and wood. A few yr.s ago I sold a Ruger like yours with the stock trigger in .338 that had only shot on the range about 120 times for $425. About the same time I tried to sell a similar A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 30'06, for nine months. The best offer I got for the A-Bolt was $375. The A-Bolt shoots exceptionally well and was worth $400 to me so I kept it. Wink

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
looked at a mk11 almost new in 300 win. for $400 yesterday.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
The problem with resale is that most people will not pay for modifications. I am always leary of any modifications especially to the trigger. Out here your rifle sells for $479 retail. It is best to sell it privately because a dealer has to buy it for quite a bit less than what he can get it for wholesale. I happen to like what you've got but the most I would pay for it is $350 in visually perfect shape. It know its not what you wanted to hear.
The other negative is that caliber popularity is very regional. You'd have a hard time selling a 308 Win out here. The worst caliber to try to sell is 30-06 despite the fact that it is a fine hunting caliber. The reason is that there are plenty of 30-06 rifles for sale and it has no magnum or specialty caliber appeal.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd ask $450 and see what offers I got. Set your own limit as to how low you'll go. If you just don't get any acceptable bites keep it as a "truck gun" and toss it behind the seat for coyotes, etc. A good .308 is a fine all-purpose rifle and will do yoeman's service for nearly anything.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be schocked at 450. I see them selling for new here at this or less lately.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best thing to do is if possible put the factory trigger back in. List the Timney along with the brass and dies in the classifieds here. As was pointed out you probably won't get anything for the extras. Part them out and sell the gun by itself. IMO this is your best route to take.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
your always better off to sell the extras to someone else..the buyer always sez "well through in everything you have in this world and we got a deal" Roll Eyes thumb

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote