New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vaver rear sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anybody know how to remove a vaver rear sight from a pre-64 model 70? has a G&H side mount and a scope is not going to clear the peep. well it might if i remove the insert but i'd kinda rather it not be there in the first place.

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
That problems been around for a decade or two. I carry the ladder in my pocket for lack of a decent option that suits me.

I also opted for barrel mounted shallow V as the best option for those with good eyesight. I like this as I use a bit deeper V and take a flush sight picture with the post flush with the top of the V as one would do with a target pistol, it as fast as a peep and as accurate..just a suggestion or two..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah, on something with a lyman 48 that's quick removable and if there's a trapdoor buttplate, it works great. this sight, i'm afraid to just start taking it apart and there's nothing obvious.
Roger

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Vavavoom! Why have I never heard of that sight before? Is it a brand name?

On the matter of open sights, Atkinson is right, and that wide V needs to have the horizontal shoulders to line up with. Otherwise it becomes an 'express sight', which might make sense if you have a hinged moon sight to go with it. If not, it will make you shoot high when you're in a hurry, possibly at risk of your life.

Roger is also wise to store the cross-arm from his Lyman 48 in the rifle. I took the one from a PH peep when installing a scope and put it away somewhere safe - but haven't seen it for years.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
The Vaver rear sight is a really nice sight. You don't see many and if you want to part with it the antique smallbore crowd would love the chance to buy it. I have no personal experience with one so I am of no help to you. The smallbore guys would be the ones to talk to.

Posts: 748 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i pulled the slide out and can see down in the slots the holes for the screw heads. the sight is obvbiously made in 2 pieces but i can't figure out how to separate the pieces so i can get to the screws.

I take it these are not common at all. i'm surprised nobody on this forum has ever installed or removed one from a model 70.

Roger