Find
Notify
Tools

New Calibre Chaos
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Farflung
posted
Is there going to be a "settling out" in a few years after all these new calibres have been introduced? Availability of components was always a concern. Now there are so many different cartidges being produced that the volumes of production would have to be pretty small, unless everyone is shooting a LOT more. (which they aren't!)
Of course, some or many of the new rounds will "die". Will others like the 7X57 become more popular with a resurgence of good-ol'-days "classics" or will they be further buried?
I see lots of redundancies. I see a lot of factors being considered which are not real factors at all. Do you really want a much lighter 300 mag? How 'bout a lighter rifle and a hammer to hit yourself in the forehead? I'm afraid a lot of newer recruits or those just not as experienced will get lost in all the options and information. They have even more opportunities to make bad choices and get rooked on fancy new guns. And you have manufacturers making so many different chamberings that are, again, redundant. Do you see a major shaking-out in the offing?

If you exercised your freedom and aren't in jail, thank a liberal.

Posts: 40 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Farflung:
Is there going to be a "settling out" in a few years after all these new calibres have been introduced? Availability of components was always a concern. Now there are so many different cartidges being produced that the volumes of production would have to be pretty small, unless everyone is shooting a LOT more. (which they aren't!)
Of course, some or many of the new rounds will "die". Will others like the 7X57 become more popular with a resurgence of good-ol'-days "classics" or will they be further buried?
I see lots of redundancies. I see a lot of factors being considered which are not real factors at all. Do you really want a much lighter 300 mag? How 'bout a lighter rifle and a hammer to hit yourself in the forehead? I'm afraid a lot of newer recruits or those just not as experienced will get lost in all the options and information. They have even more opportunities to make bad choices and get rooked on fancy new guns. And you have manufacturers making so many different chamberings that are, again, redundant. Do you see a major shaking-out in the offing?

Nothing wrong with your post, pretty much states the facts. However, all the new offerings are about marketing and more importantly market share. Nothing more sinister than that. It also gives everybody something new to play with, not a bad thing for any hobby. As far as newbies making more mistakes, we were all newbies at one time and it is important for the more experienced guys to pass on their knowledge to the new people to our sport/hobby. New blood (read new offering) is what keeps the sport alive and interesting not only to us older guys but for the new guys as well.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Besides, eventually the newbies wise up, come to realize that nothing new has been invented in the last 75 years and take to shooting old calibers in old rifles. This gives newerbies newer second hand guns to play with . . . at least until hand held lasers become fashionable!

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am always reminded of the .300 Win mag when it was introduced in the early 60's. Everything in the magazines said, why do we need another .300 when we have the Weatherby, Savage and the old tried and true 30-06. Well we know the rest of that story, the .300 Winny went on to capture a huge market and become the most accurate of all. ----- Hey, let them come on with the new stuff, as someone else said, it just gives us more to play with and cast off if it does not measure up. There will be the good, bad and ugly. ----- I do not agree that it is a shrinking market in my area. I see more junior hunters, (mostly deer hunters) every year, and the population certainly is not getting smaller. I am contributing five grandsons to the new generation of hunters myself, as well as a grandaughter. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking at the second hand rifles at Gander Mountain I see mostly 300 Weatherby's. Or some other big boomer. I guess the guys got tired of the expensive ammo or the recoil.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The same question has been asked for years. Way back when Weatherby started making magnums. What would anyone need anything more than an 06 or .270?
Thanks god we live & shoot in the USA where we have those choices. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I wanted a new varmint rifle in the mid 1950's a writer and Winchester hanger oner named Bob Wallach was bad mouthing the 220 Swift so I took a chance and jumped on the 243 Winchester bandwagon in 1957 and have been shooting one at varmints ever since.

That was 48 years ago and not even close to the 75 year cut off date mentioned above!

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a new caliber?!?
Big Grin
Everyone knows .308" is the best all-around, and .257"/.358"/.458" are the best combo.
The only problem I see with all the new "calibers" [sic] is when folks start touting one as better than the others. It's silly. There's SD, BC, muzzle speed and recoil, and the trade-offs therein. Each chambering is perfect within its peak parameters; just a matter of what you're looking for.
E.g., and hence, there's no better 358 Winchester than a 358 Winchester; nor a better 325 WSM than the 325 WSM.
Shoot em all!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I pretty much agree that all the carrying on about which of the new rounds is better is pretty silly but I am glad to see them in any case. The market will settle out - that is for sure. I do most of my serious killing with a 30-06 or .375 H&H but one of my favorite relatively new calibers is a 7mm Ultra Mag which is not slated to become an all time classic. There is always room for new stuff and the market will ultimately separate the winners from the losers. Of course, I was a guy who said, "Nobody will ever pay good money for bottled water!"

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
And don't forget all those wildcats out there for guys like me who just want something different.roflmao
.338-06
7mmDakota
.404jeffery
.260ai
.338x74keith
Yeah, I think cartrdige selection is too small. nut

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Yes, there will be a settling out of calibers over the next 5-10 years. Yes, I do want a lighter compact 30, in fact, what the 300 wsm offers is a 30-06 +100 fps, in a rifle with a 2" shorter barrel, that weighs a pound or so less. So long as you can handle the setpack, that is a pretty good deal.

I think the 325 WSM is silly and will fail in the marketplace. It falls short of the 338 win mag (i.e. if a 30 cal of any flavor isn't enough, the answer is the 338, not the 325), and there simply aren't the component bullets available to make it take off.

I don't think the 7X57 will become more popular, the 7-08 in the short action or the 7 rem mag in the full length action cover the 7mil field quote nicely.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I kinda like the "cartridge of the week" fling we're going through...for selfish reasons.

To me it means that in a very few years there will be all kinds of interesting-to-play-with rifles for sale, used, CHEAP.

When the guys who are looking for the magic rifle/cartridge, and who hope to buy hunting/shooting success with cash rather than pay their dues in the field and at the range developing real skills learn there ISN'T any magic involved, a lot of them will evolve to the point of using more all-around useful rigs.

Then those of us who made the same mistakes years ago, and now have more generally useful rigs as our basic equipment, can try out the specialty wham-bangers at a lower cost on a less-expensive ride.

Hold on tight. This rip is gonna be FUN!!

Alberta Canuck

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I like opening up the safe and going through the decision process of what caliber do I want to play with today. BUT, if a buddy says lets go deer or elk hunting I always grab my old M70 in 30-06. I don't do this because the 30-06 is any better than any of the new cartridges, I do it because I know where it shoots and how to kill an animal with it. This eliminates one variable in the hunting game. If my old M70 was in 270 Win or some other caliber the same decision making would occur. The new guys are going to later say the same thing about their 300 WSM or 325 WSM or whatever.

I like to tinker and wildcat things so I always like new cartridges - another source of parent brass for some toy I want to build later.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I went shopping for some late model Winchester 70's to take apart for the actions for some rifle projects I found a cheap used 300 Ultramag for my 404 Jeffrey project and a cheap used 7mm STW for my 416 Rem Mag project. God bless fads!
lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote