New
Find
Notify
Tools

semi-automatic restrictions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i was wondering what restrictions various country's had on hunting with semi-automatic guns?

i can start off with my own country, Norway:

shotguns:
1+1

rifles:
moose, red deer and roe deer: 3+1
everything else: 2+1

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in the US there is no simple answer...

The hunting laws vary state by state

Many states don't allow rifles at all and restrict hunting to shotguns, though not the shotguns you are likely to be familiar with, Rifled bores are pretty much the norm and they typically fire saboted subcaliber projectiles (typically around 50cal) from a 12ga shotgun.

NewJersey for instance is a shotgun/Muzzleloader state.

Neighboring Pennsylvania is mostly a rifle state (though there are areas where only shotguns are allowed)
Pennsylvania only allows semi-automatic shotguns for waterfoul hunting and under FEDERAL law waterfowl hunting is restricted to 1+2
Semi automatic rifles aren't allowed at all for hunting, but there are no regulations on owning them.

NewYork State is shotgun in the southern tier and rifle in the northern tier. But NY allows semi-auto rifles for deer and bear hunting, maximum of five rounds loaded (1+4)

Most of the "midwest" states, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, have for a long time been shotgun only states states, but Indiana recently changed their rules to allow what are essentially pistol caliber carbines.
(357Mag 44Mag, 454Casull, 500S&W etc)
by specifying a minimum caliber of .357 and a MINIMUM case length of 1.16" and a maximum case length of 1.625", in practice this means the Ruger (semi-auto) 44carbine is legal.
but for example a Marlin camp carbine in 45ACP isn't.

It's really confusing to anyone not specifically concerned with the few states they actually hunt in.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of the "midwest" states, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, have for a long time been shotgun only states states

Ohio has not been a shotgun only state for some time. One is allowed to use muzzle loading rifles and also handguns (even semiautomatics) shooting straight walled cartridges .357 caliber or greater with a barrel at least 5 inches long during the deer gun season (no magazine limitations). Semiautomatic & pump shotguns are allowed as long as the magazine is plugged to accept no more than 2 cartridges.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
In Belgium, all semi-autos , smooth or rifled bores, are to be permanently modified for hunting.

The law imposes a max capacity of 2+1 and a box magazine or tube must be afixed to the gun in a non removable way.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Sweden shotguns (pump, semiauto) might have 2 +1 shots
In semi automatic rifles it varies a little for some unknown and not always logical or sane reasons.
For Capercallie, Beaver and Brown bear (!!!!) you can have maximum 2+1, while for moose or roe, boar, deer etc you are allowed to have 5+1 that also applies for .22lr but it is also legal to have a longer magazine for plinking but not for hunting...
I have stopped beeing amazed by these "laws" and "rules" by now.

Sincerely

Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
quote:
Most of the "midwest" states, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, have for a long time been shotgun only states states

Ohio has not been a shotgun only state for some time. One is allowed to use muzzle loading rifles and also handguns (even semiautomatics) shooting straight walled cartridges .357 caliber or greater with a barrel at least 5 inches long during the deer gun season (no magazine limitations). Semiautomatic & pump shotguns are allowed as long as the magazine is plugged to accept no more than 2 cartridges.

Muzzle loaders are primitive weapons
NJ is "shotgun only" yet alows muzzle loaders.

I was unaware of the Ohio changes (sounds similar to Indiana), thanks,

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zzWop
posted Hide Post
In Australia since 1996
Semi-auto rifles - prohibited for sporting use
Semi-auto and pump action shotguns – prohibited for sporting use (limited exceptions exist)
Pump action rifles are ok.
Magazine capacity limitations are complicated suffice to say that a five shot detachable magazine is acceptable for all uses in all states.

I'd rather be hunting!!

Posts: 26 | Location: Australia | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To set the record right Wisconsin is mostly a rifle state there are some areas That require the use of shotguns/handgun/and Muzzleloaders only. One can use a encore or bolt action pistol in rilfe calibers but the same rifle cal would not be legal in those areas. So a 14 in 35 rem contender would be ok but a 16 inch 35 rem rifle would not be. I stuip law that needs to be changed.

The only mag cap limits are on shots guns for waterfowel and some other birds doves. wood cock rails ect.

One can use a 30 rd mag if one wants for hunting deer small game ect. I use one a lot on my 10-22 for rabbits. No full autos but semi's are just fine.

Posts: 19371 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the UK, under legislation passed by Mrs Thatcher's government in 1988 ALL self-loading rifles other than .22" Rimfire are prohibited from civilian ownership. Whether for hunting, collecting or target shooting is irrelevant. ALL are banned.

As are, and were at the same time, ALL pump action rifles except .22" Rimfire.

Some of our USA friends mught not realise that many of us "Limeys" actually don't hero worship Mrs Thatcher!

In fact some of us think that she was rather unpleasant and find some consolation for all the hurt she did to others that her advancing age has not been kind to her.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of our USA friends mught not realise that many of us "Limeys" actually don't hero worship Mrs Thatcher!

That old bitch was rotten to the core. The corrupt son is the apple that fell not far from the tree. Blair was a clever but shallow fellow who combined the worst traits of both the Tories and the Laborites. Hope Brown turns out better, but so far I'm little impressed.

I hope you're not offended by my Yankee critique of your politicians. However, I envy your Parlaimentary system which allows the public to place credit or blame squarely on the majority party, which has 100% control. In the U.S., the public is continually confused as to who is actually in power and who should be held responsible.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hope Brown turns out better, but so far I'm little impressed.

He is a charmless slug.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe :- No fully automatic firearms are legal for hunting, but you can use a semi-Auto. No restriction on magazine capacity.

Civilians can own "vintage" fully auto firearms but it is a hand stand of note to get the license.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Portugal : Semi auto rifles and shotguns for hunting must not accept more than 2+1 rounds.
Pumps (shotgun or rifle) have no restrictions on magazine capacity.
Rimfires are allowed for target shooting only.
Fully auto firearms are forbidden.

Cheer´s

Posts: 152 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
About Italian situation, semi-auto, rifle and shotguns, are loyal,
On shotguns limitation to 2+1 cartridge.
On rifle the rule is a little bit more complex.
All the guns, shotgun and short guns included, have two level of registration, the first level is governative and can be asked by anyone. The requester must send a presentation fiche with all the characteristics of the gun like action type, barrell lenght, total lenght, weight, special accessories (es:muzzle break) caliber, round number in the mag, etc etc.

This last data is the one that determine the round limitation. In the past was easier register a rifle with a 10 rounds mag. So in this case (Browning bar has been approved with this magazine) anyone can notify if the hunter has a 10+1 rifle while hunting boars.

Instead the Remington 7400 has been registered with a 4 rounds magazine and for this reason the limitation is a 4+1 rounds.

It is very difficult or better near impossible to register a more than 5 round semiauto rifle.

If a hunter is controlled during the hunt having a 10 round magazine in a Rem 7400, he can be hevvily, very hevvily notified.

Fully auto firearms are forbidden.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My pump holds 2 plus 1 in the chamber My auto loader holds 2 plus 1 in the chamber now these are shotguns. My DG rifle holds 6 rounds with 1 in the chamber. Most of my rifles hold about 3 or 4 with 1 in the chamber.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas: No fully automatic firearms are legal for hunting, but you can use a semi. No restriction on magazine capacity except on some game birds.

This is one of my new hunters, no handgun restrictions either:

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, I envy your Parlaimentary system which allows the public to place credit or blame squarely on the majority party, which has 100% control. In the U.S., the public is continually confused as to who is actually in power and who should be held responsible.

I don't! Under their "superior" system, the Brits have watched as their rights as Englishmen have been snatched away one at a time by this supposedly more responsive system! How did this happen?? Did the Brits forget that eternal vigilance is the price of freedom??

We may have problems, confusion, and downright governmental inaction (maybe a good thing??). But the separation of powers has worked to make it possible for us to preserve a little of our
original liberties, despite what often appears to be insurmountable assaults upon them. For example, I once read a piece by Ned Roberts that was written in the 1920's, in which he predicted that in a couple of years, even .22 rifles would no longer be permitted. This has pretty much happened to the subjects of the Queen (and to the Queen herself as well, who can no longer mount her horse and chase foxes in England, but must go tho FRANCE to do so!!); but in this country, we can still discuss in which states we can still use semi-auto rifles for hunting.....

Yes, there's a reason why the Founding Fathers set up our system the way they did rather than choose the Parliamentary setup - they knew all about the Parliamentary system - they had BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!! Our system makes the imposition of tyranny a little more difficult!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In DE you can own any thing but the hunting laws require Shotgun for deer and all other game that is in this state. Deer can also be hunted with a hand gun.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Tom',
this is my semiauto.
;

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stefano

beer

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Under their "superior" system, the Brits have watched as their rights as Englishmen have been snatched away one at a time by this supposedly more responsive system! How did this happen??

Because we have the NRA which is useless. Worse than useless. Ready to sell out any other form of shooting as long as single shot target rifle shooting is "left alone". You have the NRA of America a vastly superior organisation that shooters are happy to subscribe to and that then effectively sues that money to lobby.

British gun owners have the laws that they deserve. They were politically lazy and naive and would not spend a penny (cent) to protect their rights. They also were have been severely handicapped by the craven attitude of the (British) National Rifle Association. The whole attitude of "I'm alright, Jack".

The same NRA that now wants to change its name to the "National Target Shooting Association".