THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    300 RUM & 165gn Accubond on Moose
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 RUM & 165gn Accubond on Moose
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Two tone
posted Hide Post
Going again this year.

Taking the 45/70 and the 300 RUM again.

This year it will be a 200 gn Nosler Accubond with a muzzle vel. of 3145fps. I tried US869 with this bullet but just couldn't get a decent shooting load.

87.5gn RL 25
WLRM primer
Rem brass

It's the first load I tried with this powder and it consistantly shoots just sub MOA. More load development with this powder later.

Hopefully I'll have something to report after the end of next week.

Reading the Instructions - a sure sign of weakness and uncertainty.

Posts: 147 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
nice moose and beautiful country!

Posts: 5718 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
I would not hesitate to use your 165's. My wife used a 140NAB in a 7mmWby at just under 3400 on a moose and it looked picture perfect under the hide on the off side. I wouldn't bother with a new load and relearning trajectory. Moose are easy to kill compared to elk.

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This year it will be a 200 gn Nosler Accubond with a muzzle vel. of 3145fps.

With the big .300 magnums IMO there's no advantage in using less bullet. The 200 grain bullet at 3,000 is as flat as anyone can shoot.

Frankly, I see no advantage is less bullet and as a matter of fact I see it as a loss fr the RUM and similar .300 Magnums.

The 165 and 180 might be very realistic options in the .308 Winny and similar rounds.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a moose on the 3rd of september using a load of 168gr TSX @ 3370fps. I had three pass thru all with obvious expansion. First shot was hard quartering away shot at 180 yards thru the pounch and out the far shoulder right at the nuckle. Pushed bits of grass out the exit wound. Second shot was a texas heart shot, in the right ham and out the front of the chest at about 200 yards. Third shot was thru the ribs at about 30 yards. Any of these shots would have been leathal. Moose have a unique ability to soak up lead, or in this case copper. I have been very impressed with this load, extremely accurate and just plain kills anything in front of it. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot anything in north american with this load. There must have been 5+ feet of penetration on the second shot, with a exit wound around 1/2" or so.

I have tried the 180 and 200gr accubonds but don't think they would perform any better and they weren't as accurate as this TSX load. I have witnessed 180gr partitions on a couple of occasions fail to penetrate shoulder and spine bones when shot out of a 300 win mag, in both cases the animal was dropped at the shot but follow up shots were needed. I think that speeds in excess of 3000fps are really taxing the partiton design, adn I doubt the accubond holds up any better than the partition.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Two tone
posted Hide Post
I shot a moose on Thursday, Sept 24, 2009 with the 200 Accubonds in the 300 RUM, MV = 3145 fps.

Range was about 120 yards.

It was shot 3 times while on the run. All three shots were slightly quartering away but close to broadside:

First shot was through the lungs, passed through with an exit wound about 1" in diameter. Hit a rib on each side.

Second shot was through the scapula (shoulder blade) and exited just forward of the opposite shoulder blade. Passed through with an exit wound about 1" diameter. Very little blood shot meat around this bullet path.

Third shot was just over the spine into the hump. It actually broke a vertebra but did not immobilize the moose as it ran another 10 - 15 yards before falling. This one exited as well, same size exit wound.

As usual, the moose was dead on the first shot but kept going for a while, so I kept shooting. The high shot into the hump happened as the moose stepped into a depression.

No sign of overexpansion or bullet breakup. No exessive meat damage and excellent penetration with these 200 grain Accubonds. No real difference in performance on the moose compared to the 165's used last year in terms of how quickly it dropped.

The 200 NAB seems to be a great bullet for the 300 RUM and should help extend barrel life a bit over the 165's at over 3500 fps.

Sorry, no pics this year, I forgot the camera.

Posts: 147 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
What did you have in mind to hunt when you developed that load?

Sounds like a beanfield load.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Two tone
posted Hide Post
If you mean the 200 grain load, I was thinking Moose. I wanted to use a heavier bullet than the 165 and long shots are a possibility where I hunt. Shots as long as you're willing to try...no beanfields in Newfoundland though.

If you mean the 165 grain load, it was just the first load I tried with a premium bullet. 165 Accubonds were all I had on hand at the time.