Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 - Value?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted
I've seen a 9.3x62 for sale on Guns America, and I was wondering what might be a decent price for such a rifle? Seems to me this one is a tad pricey; however, I wish it could talk.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't pay half that for that beater.

You can buy a CZ 550 in the same cliber for $500. Spend another $250 in tuning up the action and end up with a rifle just as well made for half the price.

Or you could just use the 550 as it comes, and save a bundle.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
It's a little pricey but one fine rifle. That is a European market commercial FN sporter with integral rear sight base and barrel band. Also an early C-ring action with military style clip guides, may also have military style thumb cut. Scarce configuration, particularly in 9.3x62.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would buy that rifle in a heartbeat, if it were here in Canada; I consider this particular rifle to be, along with the ZG-47 and 21H Brnos, the finest production bolt sporter ever made. The chambering is also really useful here in B.C. and with a stock change to a good synthetic/lightened laminate and a 4x Leupy aboard, this would be just ideal for my hunting.

The one, single thing that I am jealous of Americans about is the huge number of highly desireable guns for sale in the USA, this is certainly one of them.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
A bit on the high side as fla3006 has already said. To me this is exactly the type of deal you want to TRADE into.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kutenay:
The one, single thing that I am jealous of Americans about is the huge number of highly desireable guns for sale in the USA, this is certainly one of them.

Just one thing? clap

Just funnin
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
kutenay: I consider this particular rifle to be, along with the ZG-47 and 21H Brnos, the finest production bolt sporter ever made.

DITTO!!!
This particular rifle, and other FN or Brno factory sporters, epitomize fine gunmaking and incorporate most of the features and craftsmanship shooters seek today when they spend several thousand dollars on a custom. Relative bargains actually.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
If you look at the far left side of the photo you can see the thumb cut.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IHMO: nice rifle but I think the price, at $1450, is too high. If you just want a good 9.3x62 to shoot and hunt with, then get a CZ 550.

My two cents....
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOuld love to have this 9.3mm Mauser, but I think the price is somewhat high.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks equal to Mauser-actioned Sako, Husquavarna, Carl Gustaf, and FN Sporter. The price should be 700+/-50USD.
It says "sale pending", so I guess some folks don't mind overpaying for a good shooter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The configuration of that rifle is about as close to perfect as you can get. Too bad FN never did figure out how to properly shape a bolt handle. Big Grin

The rifle is certainly worth $1K because of its rarity. If only it was in a little better shape, it would be worth the asking price.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I have an almost identical one being sent to me from New Zealand at the moment ,the gunsmith is just fine tunning it first,adding Recknagle low swig off mounts, side safty,bedding and new bolt handle so as to open wih steel 4x36 Shmidt&Bender scope.
All up a cost of around US$1500 ex scope.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would prefer "non-salty" FN-Browning 'Safari Grade' in .375 Holland. Last year I almost brought .300 Holland home. There are nice rifles! Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that it is worth the price, I paid 350 for an action just like this one and felt like I stole it (soon to be 458 win) Full C thumb cut, mag bolt face marked with a 1948 FN commercial stamp. Slicker than snot and even nicer than my 1951 FN commercial without the thumb cut in 9.3 x 62

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW the CZ (and I have handled them) cant hold a candle to the FN as issued. One feels like glass and the other feels like what you make glass out of Smiler

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote