Find
Notify
Tools

S&L Model '65 DL
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Anyone ever see one of these rifles in a factory 7 m/m Remington Mag instead of 7x61 Sharpe & Hart? If so, what can you tell us about it?

Alberta Canuck

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AC,

Yes, I've had one that I sold and currently have another that started life as a 7x61 and I had a S&L factory 7mm Rem barrel screwed on to it.

What type of info are you looking for?

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B. Doerr:
AC,

Yes, I've had one that I sold and currently have another that started life as a 7x61 and I had a S&L factory 7mm Rem barrel screwed on to it.

What type of info are you looking for?

What your experience using yours was, how many they may have made in that particular chambering, how it performed with full loads, whether yours is also 1-in-10" twist, whether good loading data is the same as for front-lugged actions, etc.

Stuart Otteson says in his book they sold less than 3,000 total rifles when all the models ('54, '60, '62, '65, and '68) and all configurations and chamberings are included.

Seems to me they only offered the 7 m/m Rem Mag about the last year or so that they produced the '65 DL if my memory is correct. As I recall, the relatively new 7mm Rem Mag was eating up the popularity of the 7x61 S&H cartridge like nachos and S&L finally offered the Remington chambering to try to retain at least a little market-share. Is that your recollection too?

I've owned 10 or 12 S&Ls over the years including 4 "free-rifles", and this is the first factory-barreled 7 Rem Mag I've ever laid eyes on, let alone owned. Just thought I'd see if anyone else had seen/owned one and what info they might be able to provide.

Alberta Canuck

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AC,

I'm certainly no expert on Schultz & Larsen history and I'm only 40 so I don't have any first hand recollection of what they were doing back in the sixties wrt chambering the 7mm Rem Mag.

But I have owned nearly 20 of them over the years and have a fair amount of experience shooting them. So I can comment on that aspect. My loads for the 7mm Rem, as well as the 308 Norma and 358 Norma are all full power loads and I have never experienced any problems with the locking lugs being in the rear. No apparent problems with case stretch (I only try to partial full length resize my cases) and case life has never been a problem. With the 7mm and 308 Norma, I generally use old surplus 4831 at charges that are right at maximum. Generally in the 7mm, I've used bullet weights in the 154 - 160gr range. The elk and 3 deer I've shot with it seemed to attest to its effectiveness.

As for Mr. Otteson's assertion that only 3000 rifles wer made, I find that pretty hard to believe. First, that seems to me that with that few rifles produced, they would be quite scarce. But as I said, I've owned many and could have bought many more. They are not too hard to come by. Second, I've owned them from a Model 54 in 6.5x55 with s/n 31xx to a model 68 in 458 Win with s/n 123xx. There would have to be lots of gaps in their numbering system to only account for 3000 rifles. Heck, even in the 65DL which seems to be the most prolific, I've owned them from s/n 75xx to 112xx which would seem to indicate nearly 4000 rifles in the 65DL series alone.

If you'd really like to know some of the history, I believe the company is still in business. You might try to write them and see if they'll answer some of your inquiries.

Brian

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote