THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Winchester extreme weather vs Sako 75 Finnlight

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester extreme weather vs Sako 75 Finnlight
 Login/Join

posted
Title says it all.
Which one would you pick and why?

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Sako, because I am a Sako kind of guy; however, I'd like to see an EW in 375 H&H.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also would lean to the Sako. I own several brands of guns and have four Sako's. The Sako's have all had good workmanship and accurate.

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Never owned a Sako but I recently bought a new 70 Featherweight in 7mm-08. The workmanship is great and it's very accurate. First time out it shot .5" 3 shot groups with both 120 NBTs and 160 Deepcurls.

I don't like the looks of the Finnlight stock but that's just me.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 5 Sako 75 Finnlights so you know which one gets my vote. I like the Sako rifles because I know they will shoot and have a very nice adjustable trigger. I'm one of the rare people that like a detachable magazine so that also leads me that direction. My favorite is a Sako 75 Finnlite 6.5x55 for deer.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go Sako if you want an accurate rifle.

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sactoller
posted Hide Post
Extreme Weather!

Jason Z Alberts

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you." – Samuel Adams

Posts: 347 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every modern rifle manufacturer will turn out at least a few shooters and at least a few dogs. When you buy a rifle without being able to shoot it first, you're making a bet that it'll be a shooter and not a dog. An expensive bet.

The question is, which one will give you the best odds?

IMO, a Sako is your best bet for an out of the box shooter (no trips back to the factory, no trips to a gunsmith, etc.)

I've owned several that have all been shooters. I've never heard a bad word from anyone who's ever owned one except that they're expensive. You get what you pay for.

-nosualc

Beware the fury of an aroused democracy. -Ike

Posts: 124 | Location: land of sky blue waters | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
I have 5 Sako 75 Finnlights so you know which one gets my vote. I like the Sako rifles because I know they will shoot and have a very nice adjustable trigger. I'm one of the rare people that like a detachable magazine so that also leads me that direction. My favorite is a Sako 75 Finnlite 6.5x55 for deer.

That is exactly the same rifle/caliber I use for hogs, it's the most light weight and accurate rifle I have ever had.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Firstly, I've never owned a Sako so perhaps shouldn't comment. However, my vote goes for the Extreme Weather but then, again, I'm a Win. kinda guy and I have an Extreme Weather in .270 WSM.
It easily puts 3 Partitions into an inch. I just started working with 150 NorthForks and it's at least as accurate with those.
Not saying a Sako isn't accurate but for me at least, I don't care for the looks and I believe the magazine is detachable. To me, it's just another item that can get lost or perhaps malfunction at just the wrong time.
I'm sure you would get an accuratre rifle regardless of which way you go however. Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. The vote went the way I thought it would, with Sako getting most of the votes. The only negative thing I have with the Sako is the detachable magazine, so it was interesting when Bear also mentioned it. It doesn't make sense to spend almost a thousand dollars on something that is not exactly like you want it, so the Winchester is looking pretty good.
Thanks all

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot both the Sako (.338 Lapua) and Winchesters in several chamberings. Both are super accurate for me. Given everything considered I would go with the Winchester. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
The detachable magazine of the Finnlight is as sturdy as a fixed one, it's impossible to loose it and you don't need to take it away for reloading. I never ever take it away, not even to unload the rounds after the hunt is over.
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keith, I have both as well. I have always loved my Winchesters but I give the nod to Sako. I was apprehensive about the magazine as well but I have never taken it out. I load through the action just like on my Model 70's and when it is time to unload I pick up the cartridge with the extractor and short stroke the bolt just like any CRF. I ahve 3 Sako 85s and 3 Model 70's and feel that I can give an honest opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with the others, the Sako Mag box is a plus, an asset, an advantage above and beyond a standard fixed mag box with a drop floorplate. It is extremely well designed. The Sako would be less of a rifle without.

Best Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the Sako also. Bought my first in 1997 and never looked back. I love my Sako m75 rifles....have a couple Tikka T3 LS..good shooters too.

I never had an issue with the detach mag as now for the m85 they redesigned the release so you "dont loose the clip"

I also prefer the safety of the Sako over the Winchester. To each their own opinion.

I do not own a Finnlight but have several of the SS models and a fewe Greywolf's.

I alsp prefer the fluting by my gunsmith over the factory stuff by Sako.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Either will be just fine. I'd pick the one that fits best. The Finnlite is not light by any means, but they are very accurate.

I have a love/hate relationship with my 75FL. Damn thing has jammed twice on me after I shot a buck. 1st time I thought it was just a fluke, the second time it pissed me off. Have too many other rigs that perform the way they are supposed to....

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote