New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 Reloads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I purchased a Montana Rifle Extreme X2 270 last year after falling in love with the 270 Winchester from hunting with my “Wife’s Supergrade.”

My favorite load is the Winchester Black Box 140 Grain Accubond. The problem in three states I might find a box a year. So, a pound of Reloader 19,100 Nosler Accubond component bullets, a box of Nosler brass, box of once fried Federal brass, and a set of Hornady dies.

I loaded the once fired Federal Brass with 55 grains of Reloader 19 in 45 degree whether today and nailed up a target.

The first 5 rounds off the BOG Pod where 3 in the same whole with the last two landing just outside that one whole group. The second five where in a straight line right above that. Third five gave me an evil thought. I shot one eye in the man silhouette target then a four round smile. With the last five all I needed to do was put on the right eye and nose.

Well, close but no ciger. I shot a little three shot triangle trying to drop the eye. With no eye I put one on the left hand side under the previous eye, and one into the three shot group.

The brass was full length resized and loaded to an overall length of 3.244 inches. Why 3.244 because that was the mean average of three boxes of Winchester 270 140 grain Accubonds I measured that did so well for me last year.

This is the very first time I have reloaded for a boltaction bottle neck rifle. Up to now I have only reloaded my 500 Nitro and pistols.

I have to thank Snowolfe. He had me out to his home after I bought my 500 Nitro and should me the ropes of reloading.

I have to admit for me it is more of a fight to get everything going. I hate that little Hornady scale. But the juice is with the squeeze.

I have 50 rounds in the new Nosler Brass same load, same overall length left that I am going to take hunting next week. I guess I won’t run out of the factory ammo I have horded.

If anyone wants pictures pm an email or iPhone number for text. These groups need to be seen.

I know Montana Rifle Company has its detractors. I am not a fan of their wood stocks, but my Extreme X2 is with the price of admission. I am not into the light rifle group and hate to see they X2 has been morphed into a light X3.

Posts: 11042 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you got a winner there. Not unusual with the 270...

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sagebrush Burns is 100% on target: the .270 Win is extremely accurate. 59 grains of RL-19 will print ragged one-holers all day long.

I use 60 grains of H-4831 & 130 grain GameKings outta a 45+ year old Remington Model 700 & Sako AV. This load gives me very, very tiny groups. Both of my .270 Win rifles will print .25" at a hundred. If velocity is what you're after, RL-22 will get you over 3200 FPS with 130 grainers. I get ~3030 FPS outta 22" barrels. I'm an accuracy first dude.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys. My goal was/is to duplicate the Winchester Supreme 140 Accubond load. I think I have done it.

I wonder why folks say the 270 is not accurate .25 from EMP and a four shot clover leaf for me seems top notch.

I do not have a Chrono the book says it should be about 2950.

Posts: 11042 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Hell, I get dime-sized groups from my cheap Rem 710 with my loads. Anything that misses anything is on me.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .270 Win. has been proving itself for decades..It has no flaws and with a proper placement of a good bullet it will kill about any animal on earth if push comes to shove..Ive used it on deer and elk and on just about all the African Plainsgame including Eland, Zebra, and tough old Wildebeest...

I,m stillusing the old surplus 4831, the stuff and the load of 62 grs. with 130 and 150 gr bullets, its sure packed in there and some guns won't handle 62 so I use 61 or 60 depends on the case, mostly WW will take 62, no pressure with any of these loads, test out a 48,000 to 50,000 PSI at most..Jack O'Connors load..Don't try this with todays IMR or H 4831, were max max is 60 grs. for 3000 or so..my load is 3266 and 3084 consecutivly in a 22 inch barrel mod. 70..according to me chronograph and that's very close to O,Conners velocity

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41902 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My current hunting load for 270 win is
58gr of RL23 gives 3050fps with Trophy Bonded
Tipped. Also most accurate load. Norma MRP
was most accurate powder with 150gr Nosler
Partitions.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Agree Norma MRP is an awesome powder with the 150g Partitions. I use Remington fireformed cases, CCI 250 primers and get just over 3000 fps from a 22" barrel shooting 150g partitions with both Norma MRP and H4831SC

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4733 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MRP with 150gr Partitions makes the most powerful load I can come up with for the 270 Winchester. RL23 is not far behind with 140gr bullets. Going to load some 150gr Partitions with RL23 this winter and see what I get.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Barnes vortex 130 TTSX shoots as well as my handloads. About 1/2”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I switched to these.....

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 61.5 Gr of RL 22 behind a 130 Nosler partition, Winchester brass for as long as I can remember. 3-4 different bolt guns. All shot lights out. Even 22" pipes produced over 3200 FPS.
In modern loading data it notes above max. listing however when I worked this load decades ago it was listed as a max or a little less.
I have never had a pressure issue and have never seen a reason to switch gears to another loading alternative.
I have two 270's that will likely be buried with me. A pre 64 model 70 featherweight with a 6X42 leupold and a model 70 stainless classic with a 4X12X50 Swar AV3.
The later has a nick name among my hunting friends "killer". So many people want that rifle.

Outstanding deer rifles with the load noted above.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been many years since I've reloaded for .270 but what I do remember is the case tended to stretch and I needed to check case length and trim frequently.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Controlling headspace is key. New brass is loosey goosey. Don't want to overdo resizing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The two things wherein I've seen a hunter screw up a good opertunity at a trophy animal, are neck sized reloads and seating out bullets too long.

Dontcha love it when you eject a loaded round to get into the truck and you fill the acton and magazine with powder and a bullets stuck in the chamber!! It happens a lot to all of us I suspect or has at one time. Then there is the case of hand me a hammer to open this action!! or you have to fire the gun to get the stuck bullet out..Lots of things happen at the reloading bench that shouldn't I might add..

No excuses for this. and you have options to make it not happen, one as simple as running all your hunting cases thru the action prior to hunt..

I size my cases enough to be sure they "slop" thru the action and feed, that's pretty close to full length resizeing on my part. and in many cases I just full length rezize..I seat my bullets to have a little more seating depth than required...feed and function is first and foremost. The difference in accuracy is minimal especially for hunting..

I always trim when needed and I usually use only new brass to hunt with..I FL resize new brass if nothing else to round out the necks, trim if needed, I chamfer needed or not..

Its a bummer to lose a real trophy or to have to walk another 5 miles for winter meat becases of feed and function failure on a sure shot near the pickup! tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41902 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Hi Ray, I've been neck sizing only my hunting loads forever. I do cycle each one through the action before I hunt with them. Never had an issue, period in almost 50 years of hunting.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4733 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A comparator will take away all the guess work.