New
Find
Notify
Tools

.350 Remington Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What experiences/thoughts do you all have regarding the .350 Rem. Mag. as a medium range/velocity/recoil solution for any NA game?

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tmoore4627:
What experiences/thoughts do you all have regarding the .350 Rem. Mag. as a medium range/velocity/recoil solution for any NA game?

A friend of mine bought the Remington 673 a while back and after much experimentation has settled on 225 gr. A-frames at 2600 fps as the load he'll use for everything. Accuracy has been between 1" - 1.25". I don't think I'd be afraid to tackle any game in North America with that load. Recoil is subjective so I won't get into that except to say that both of us found it acceptable.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Cartridge - I had a 700 Classic (which my dad owns now) and currently shoot a mannlicher-stocked Model 7 from the remington custom shop. I shot two black bears in Quebec with one many years ago, and my dad has taken several deer and a wild boar with his as well. It really seems to anchor animals at close range.

Dad has mostly used the old 200gr Remington factory load. I shot the bears with the 225 Sierra Gamekings behind a max charge of IMR-4320. I think the 225s are the right bullet - better SD than the 200's, and I don't plan on getting or taking many long shots with the rifle. The conventional wisdom is that the 250's take up too much powder space, but I haven't tried them yet.

I'm from Western New York, and it appears that we will be able to hunt deer with rifles this year - Shotgun slugs until now ( the bill is awaiting the governor's signature), so I am planning on loading up some 225 partitions for the fall.

Matt Romagnuolo

Posts: 100 | Location: All over, US Army | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I've had various .350 Rem Mags for 20 or more years. I must have taken 40 animals with them and can remember not a one that needed more than one shot, including African game.

Right now I have a Remington Custom Shop Model Seven with the kevlar stock. It is very accuracte, doesn't have what I consider excessive recoil... a lot of that is due to the well designed stock... and with Barnes X's of 225 grains is flat shooting enough to hit anything out to 250 yards or so without much holdover. I have a Leupold 1.5x5 scope on it and find it to be delightful to tote.

It is about the smallest package that I can imagine that is truly adequate for all game in North America and any game in Africa, up to and including Eland.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tmoore4627

I just bought one in a Ruger M77 Mark II stainless haven’t shot it yet didn’t really need it just kind of an odd caliber so I bought it. If anybody has any pet loads for the 350 Rem please let me know.

Posts: 182 | Location: Bandon Oregon | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
TM

I would echo what the above posters have said about this caliber. I consider the .350RMag as a short action 35Whelen. Mine is a M700 Classic. It is my most accurate 35 caliber rifle.

The 225 Nosler Partition is my first choice with IMR4895. Second is the 250 Speer over IMR4064.

Bang-flops are common.

WN

Fill your boots, man!

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, it's something I've been thinking about for a future purchase. JoeCool--I don't really need this rifle either, but when has that ever stopped me before??? I'd like to have a handy rifle that I could use in the future for anything on the continent, but that won't rattle my teeth loose, as I don't really need an elephant gun. Since I reload, ammunition availability was not terribly important to me, so the 350 RM seems like a good compromise. Thanks again for your advise, fellows.

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote