New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 88
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What would a like new Win 88 in .308 bring in your area? It's pre 64.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
never seen one... or I'd own one.
but the later xlr's are about 900.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lamar--I gave my grandson one just like this one several years ago and he loves it. This one is overpriced but they are hard to find.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Probably right around $1,100 if in tip top shape.

Seems like .243s bring a couple of hundred more and .358s bring about twice as much.

Prices on all used, but high condition, classic firearms are rising.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Boffins here thought they were quite good in their time, better than the Savage 99.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
In my area (Pennsylvania) they go for around $700-$1,000 depending on caliber and condition. 243'and 308's are the most common and therefore the least expensive. .284 and .358 Win chambered rifles bring quite a bit more $$. Carbine models also command a premium.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Better than a 99 Savage, I think not, Ive owned a few 88s and that damn squishy trigger and its ability to feed in many cases turned me off, its a lever on a bolt gun, naw!! not for me, but just prejudice on my part, I cut my teeth on a 99.. sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
What Tom Z said. The rare, highly coveted ones are 284 and 358. The pre-64 thing doesnt seem to affect the 88's price. Mine is a pre-64 308 as well. There are currently a couple of 243 88's on gunbroker. One has 11 bids up to $780.00 (basket weave post 64). The other has zero bids listed @ $850. FWIW. The one listed for $850 is less than like new though. I would think yours should bring at least $800.00, maybe even $900.

Vs the 99 is apples and oranges IMO. Both unique designs. They both have their pros and cons.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Boffins here thought they were quite good in their time, better than the Savage 99.

That's not my opinion and I've never owner either. I like the funky looks of the 99, though, and wanted to buy one in 358W 45 years ago. (When I couldn't find one I settled for a Sako .338 and loaded it back until someone gave me some factory ammo. Since that didn't seem to kick any more than my subloads, I gave them up and have loaded full-house since.)

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had 99's and an 88 and I much prefer the 88. Probably a Ford Chevy deal. I did buy the 88 mentioned and paid too much ($1150) but I wanted it and have high doubts I'd find another in the condition this is in. It does have Talley base and rings and he threw in A Bushnell scope. I have had poor luck with Bushnell scopes and if this one is like the rest, it will get the real deal---a Leupold.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
If it is in pristine condition then it may well be worth what you paid for it. Those rifles havent been made in years and will not likely ever be made again. Collectors love such things in excellent condition. Less than pristine, not so much. Mine would fall under the "not so much" category. But I still like it.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhuntr--I know what you mean. Not going to find another one like it and if you want it, bite the bullet. I'm sure a son in law most likely will be glad I bought it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 88 has the original sling swivels that are not detachable, so I ordered a special sling for it. I also got a spare magazine and will make a pouch that goes on the sling. Having recoil pad installed and it should be ready any day--all set. Got ammo loaded up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
carpet,
I have a couple of Winchesters that I just cut the sling loops off and drilled the holes bigger in the studs and used detachables--worked great!

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hipshot--I cut the loops off the 88 I gave my grandson and use detachables. This 88 is so original I didn't want to alter it. Then again I guess the recoil pad is an alteration and I could remove the original ones and replace the posts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have friend that has saddle shop. Went out there today and he made a pouch for the spare magazine--it slides onto the sling. Should get it from having recoil pad installed any day now.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
I have friend that has saddle shop. Went out there today and he made a pouch for the spare magazine--it slides onto the sling. Should get it from having recoil pad installed any day now.

Nice touch!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My love for the 99 goes back to 1950 and back to the 1920s, A rifle that in the day was milled not stamped or poured in a sand mold, made by a worker skilled in his trade, and they no longer exist and Im told it would be a financial tragedry today, thats the reason we no longer have the old 99s, the Remington pump and auto of yesteryear, the great old winchesters, all of the past, its not always about shooting or hunting, its about art and tradition.., today its at the fate of the bean counters, have ya,ll noticed all liberals are college educated !! rotflmo and they gave us black guns to take away and justify their existence..

OK off my soap box now! pissers

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
My love for the 99 goes back to 1950 and back to the 1920s, A rifle that in the day was milled not stamped or poured in a sand mold, made by a worker skilled in his trade, and they no longer exist and Im told it would be a financial tragedry today, thats the reason we no longer have the old 99s, the Remington pump and auto of yesteryear, the great old winchesters, all of the past, its not always about shooting or hunting, its about art and tradition.., today its at the fate of the bean counters, have ya,ll noticed all liberals are college educated !! rotflmo and they gave us black guns to take away and justify their existence..

OK off my soap box now! pissers

So what gun is made in a sand mold? Confused

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what gun is made in a sand mold?

I think a shotgun for sandhill cranes