Find
Notify
Tools

.333jeffrey!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi!
Is there anybody out rhere who has experience with the .333jeffrey, powders and such?.

Thanks!

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a rare one indeed. Good luck finding info on it. You may or may not know the Dakota is basically an improved version of this, for .338" bullets. It's also loaded to much higher pressures, I'm sure.
Cartridges of the World quotes it as pushing a 250 to 2500 fps. The Dakota goes another 250 fps, but hard to say what the original would do with modern pressures in a modern rifle.
Might be tough to find the 1/3" bullets, also.
Cheers!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana-be:
That's a rare one indeed. Good luck finding info on it. You may or may not know the Dakota is basically an improved version of this, for .338" bullets. It's also loaded to much higher pressures, I'm sure.
Cartridges of the World quotes it as pushing a 250 to 2500 fps. The Dakota goes another 250 fps, but hard to say what the original would do with modern pressures in a modern rifle.
Might be tough to find the 1/3" bullets, also.
Cheers!

Woodleigh makes bullets for this caliber. Best SD in an over 30 cal. I've ever seen. Don't have any load data though Frowner

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great early version of the 338 Win. If I ever find one at an affordable price I will buy it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41837 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Jens,
I just bought a .333 Jeffery Flanged double!
Will pick it up on Thursday.

/Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by husky:
Jens,
I just bought a .333 Jeffery Flanged double!
Will pick it up on Thursday.

/Husky

I must confess that I envy you Big Grin.
On the other hand in case you don`t like what your getten` give me a PM thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
I seriously looked into getting a 333 Jeffery magazine rifle a few years ago, but decided not to go with it. Here is what I found in my research...

1. brass - no one makes it (rimless) so you have to make it out of 404 Jeffery brass. The price of the case forming dies and reloading dies from RCBS frightened me (around $500 total).

2. reloading info - could not find any. Figured I'd go with top end 338-06 loads and work up. Was also going to look into getting a chronograph to see where the loads I would be trying would get me.

3. bullets - Woodleigh and Hawk are the only choices I found. But since the rifles were regulated for either the 250 or 300 grain bullets, you pretty much had one choice. The rifle I was thinking about buying was iron sighted only, regulated for 300 grain bullets, and had 4 folding leaves. And I wasn't going to butcher it to add some type of scope mount.

I think it would be fun to fool around with, but I have no experience with reloading cartridges that I would have to reform brass for and no established reloading data to reference. The price of the forming and loading dies pretty much covered the price of a CZ550 American in 9.3x62, so I went that route for a medium bore rifle. Not nearly as nostalgic, but a helluva lot more practical. Had I more time to spend working on the loads for a 333 Jeffery, I would have bought the rifle, but unfortunately I didn't at the time, and still don't. Hope this helps...

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Johnny!

I have done all the considerations myself but I couldn`t ignore all the problems(I want that dern thing), but I am prepared to spend quit a few money on this little project, which have haunted my brain for many years now!. I have found an original Oberndorf commercial action, my barrel of 28" will be Metfordrifled in 1:8 twistratio. The expresssights WILL be regulated for the the 300grain bullet. I have thought of when starting working up some loads using the lowend for the .338Win mag. I believe the .333jeffery should duplicate the 338win ballistics If wanted to, but I`ll keep my loads
so close to the original ballistics as possible!. As far as bullets goes it shouldn`t be a problem swaging .338cal bullets down so I`ll have some cheap plinkingloads, but my intention are however to start swaging the 300 grain bullets myself! Brass can be obtained from Bertram, but I`ll probaply reform .404 or 300rum which are cheaper!.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Bertram brass is garbage, save your money!

If Hornbear makes brass, that is the route to go, otherwise, form it from 404 brass. I wouldn't want to deal with the rebated rim of rum brass, and also rum brass is larger in dia than true 404 brass.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Paul H!

Thank you...I have heard from many places that Bertram Brass isn`t good!. I think I`ll stick with you advise! I have 100 pcs of brand new .404 Jeffery (RWS) on my hand from my gunmaker so`ll give him a call tomorrow for sure!. I must imphasize I really appreciate these advises they are gold to me!.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Jens,

I'd heard the reports of Bertram being low quality, but had to find out for myself. I had a 350 Rigby built, and planned to just make brass by taking 375 H&H, turning off the belt, cutting down the rim and fl sizing. I have done that, but it is a PITA, and the 45 degree shoulder is difficult to set back far enough. The US importer of Bertram was clearing out the 350 cases, so I picked up 5 boxes. I'd worked up to 250 gr @ 2700 fps in the H&H brass, which isn't a hot load, and in teh bertram brass, the same loads had the brass flowing into the bolt, and were still sticky if I backed off a few grains. For mild cast loads the bertram works fine, but it is too soft for high pressure loads.

What part of Denmark are you from? I've been through Copenhagen a few times, and wished I'd had time to see your country.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote