New
Find
Notify
Tools

How about the Vanguards?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The local shop has a Vanguard in 7mmRM. It has the "really" nice stock that you would see on the bonifide Weatherby's. I've never had or shot one. The trigger sucks as is, is it adjustable. Are they typically shooters?

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason-yeah they are shooters, I worked in retail for the last 3 years and each and every shooter or a Wby or Howa (basically the same). Would come in and rave about them.

I would go there with zero reservations.

Good luck

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad Starcevich
posted Hide Post
What Mark D said. The Vanguards are a great value.
Best, Starcharvski.

Posts: 135 | Location: St. Charles, IL USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
And the triggers are fully adjustable, even the bit Weatherby say's not to adjust.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I'll rave at length about my Wal-Mart Weatherby in .300 Weatherby Magnum with the ugly black plastic stock. It's a real shooter! And that ugly black plastic stock really works, it's a very comfortable design.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i recently picked up a really early one in 300winmag to rebarrel to 270wby. made when wby put really nice wood on them. ditto what everyone said abt quality, accuracy, etc. if is older, do check weatherby's site because they had a recall on the bolts to replace the shrouds. curiously, de haas in reviewing the vanguards, howa's, etc loved them but criticized the shround design on the weatherby. they've changed the design as of abt 5 yrs or so ago and redo old bolts to the new configuration at no cost. i think round trip on mine was well under 2 weeks. i love the thing tho. wouldn't bother me to have a rack full of them.

roger

One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
Browingguy, I was wondering about the part they say not to adjust on the trigger. I lightned the pull as low as it would go, crisp but still too heavy for me.
What has your experience been with adjusting the creep? I would probably have tried it any way the next day I got snowed it. John

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I'vw had mine 4 years and the only thing i can say bad about it is the trigger.

It truly sucks.

But it is a shooter!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm planning to replace it with a timney.

I worked up a sweet load with the 168gr barnes triple shocks.

I wished it had 26" barrel until I lug it up and down after coues deer.

It's heavy enough now

I tossed the black plastic stock after the first hunt and restocked it in maple burl.

Like the man said: life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun!!

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the only weatherby worth buying is a vanguard, they'd be doing everyone a favor if thats the only gun they offered! i have a vanguard in 270 wsm my dad has one in 30-06 and they will both outshoot any other factory rifle i own except for my T-3 in 25-06. i think they're the best value for hunting rifle going.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Vanguard in 300 WBY at Wal-Mart for $299

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote