New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waiting for my new" rifle
 Login/Join

<Jim Lawrence>
posted
Hello Folks: I'll try not to bore you and get to the point. About a month ago I took a pre-WWII M70 30/06 to the gunsmith to get a facelift. When I get it back it will be a .338/06AI. It's the first rifle I have ever had modified and I am quite excited about it. I hope to bring home an elk or two before I get too old to hunt for them. I'm not exactly old but at 53 the mountains are getting steeperSmiler My plan is to give the rifle to one of my sons when the right time comes. A question follows. Are there some of you out there that use this caliber for elk and what do you think of it? Also, have you ever waited months for a rifle to be worked on while you sat around dreaming of it? Good luck to you in what ever endeavor you pursue. Jim

<allen day>
posted
Jim, I know several guys who use the regular .338-06 for elk and assorted other animals, and they all swear by the cartridge. The .338-06 AI seems to be capable of about 100 fps. more velocity than the original, unimproved version.

I've used the factory .338 Winchester off and on for over 20 years, and on a fair number of elk plus other stuff. I have a custom .338 Winchester in the works right now, in fact. This cartridge has always provided extremely decisive kills for me on everything I've shot with it, and it's one of my favorites. If I had the time, the inclination, and the patience to work with a wildcat .338, your .338-06 AI would likely be my cartidge of choice.

I've had custom projects that have taken a couple of years to get completed, and several months of waiting is par for the course. It just makes everything that much sweeter when you finally take delivery!

AD