THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Please, lenght barrel for 30-06?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please, lenght barrel for 30-06?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Hi everyone,
About a month ago I bought a used custom rifle in 30-06.
I don't shoot it yet, but I think the barrel is too short, it's a 19 1/2 inch barrel (Douglas).
I'm giving too much handicap for shooting deers/pigs in distances under 200 metres if I used it like that?
Thanks
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No te preocupes. With full-power loads in a 18" Scout rifle, I got 2,550-2,600 fps from 180 grain bullets, and 2,750 to 2,800 from 150 grain bullets.

Muzzle blast was spectacular.

Hope this helps, Okie John.

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Okie,
Thanks and congrats for your good spanish [Smile]
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
<RickMD>
posted
Lorenzo:

The 19.5 inch barrel will be fine for deer and pigs at 200 meters. The only disadvantage will be the slight increase in muzzle blast and flash. You'll only loose 100 to 125 fps over a 24" barrel.

Velocity will be equivalent to a .308 Winchester or 7.65x53 in a 24" barrel, both of which are much more than adequate for deer and pigs.

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rick,
Let see if next weekend some piggy give me the chance to see the flash [Smile]
LG