THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    single shot 30/30 and nosler ballastic tips?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

single shot 30/30 and nosler ballastic tips?
 Login/Join

posted
ok guys need some advice here.
Ive got a side by side (12ga-30/30). Its not a true 30/30, ive fire formed brass for it and the shoulder of the brass is rounded. Ive neck sized the brass and have been using speer 150gr flat points (fed brass, wlr primer, 30grs 3031) with good accuracy, but i really want to shoot 165gr ballastic tips. The rifle has a 28" barrel. ive measure the throat and can seat the bullets to a col 2.99", i figure id make it a col of 2.95", the bullet is fully in the neck of the brass and none the base.
Two questions, first- if i were to use leverevolution powder can i expect a big velocity boost over using 3031, without having higher pressures, and second is it unsafe seating the bullet out that far and having extra space in the brass?

Posts: 76 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If its not a 3030 you should find out wich cartridge it is first.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you whether you would improve your velocity with Leverevolution over 3031, and unless you are using a chronograph neither can you. But seating the bullet out will certainly not create any problem.

Your rifle is probably simply a .30-30 with a somewhat non-standard chamber, but it would be wise to ascertain whether it might be some other cartridge, presumably a European one. Or even something like a .303 Savage. Are there any caliber markings on the gun? Sometimes European guns are marked on the watertable rather than the barrel.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smoke_eater You may want to re-think your plan. Trying to wring out every last fps is not likely going to be of much value. I have a combination rifle/shotgun of European manufacture and it is very fussy what loads you feed it. First off these guns are not designed to handle higher pressures (like a bolt action)and when you get into some higher pressures your groups open up in a hurry. Regarding using 165 gr spritzer bullets. Most of the 30 cal bullets on the market are designed for 308 win or 30-06 velocities. At the much lower velocities you will obtain with the 30-30 you may not have enough velocity to ensure reliable expansion. I played with some spitzer bullets in an old Savage model 99 with a rotary magazine. The 150 gr Hornady spire pts would open but anything heavier was hit and miss. The odd one would open but many did not

Posts: 2435 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course you can seat your bullets out; the powder charge is up to you; break open guns don't like high pressures; usually; don't know what one you have. Stay in the 40K psi range.
But, as stated, stay with the flat and round noses; they are made for 30-30 velocities. You can still seat them out if you want to.

Posts: 17113 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I rechecked the rifle and the only markings i could find regarding the rifled barrel is a 7.5 and a bunch off manufacturer marks (crowns and such). The shoulder is moved forward towards the neck approximately 1/16". I dont believe its a 303 savage but i cant find any information on a 7.5. It would likely be european but i cant read the name because it is worn almost off.
Im not really trying to turn the rifle into anything super charged. I was hoping that with the 28" barrel and lever evolution, i could get enough velocity to expand the ballistic tips reliably but at a safe pressure. In theory according to my hornady book, i should get 2200 fps with a 20" barrel and an increase in velocity with a longer barrel. i have lots of the 165gr ballistic tips and no flat points. My hunting would be done on small deer under 100yds.
The combo is a great walking gun, grouse/deer. But i dont want to destroy it.

Posts: 76 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 165 ballistic tip should perform just fine at standard 30-30 velocities. I've used that bullet on one deer and one antelope from a 308 at 100ish yards and about 2750 fps. Both bullets performed like 50 grain ballistic tips from my 222 on coyotes: small entry hole, exploded bullet with shrapnel shredding heat-lung area. No exit wound. I see that bullet opening up just fine.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a non-30/30 bullet in my 30/30 contender for years. There's no reason to avoid the bullet since they'll perform just fine at lower velocities.

Like others have says, watch the pressure.... you're not loading for a 300 RUM!

By the way, there's almost no reason not to seat the bullets out as far as you can without contacting the lands.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smoke_eater:
I rechecked the rifle and the only markings i could find regarding the rifled barrel is a 7.5 and a bunch off manufacturer marks (crowns and such). The shoulder is moved forward towards the neck approximately 1/16". I dont believe its a 303 savage but i cant find any information on a 7.5. It would likely be european but i cant read the name because it is worn almost off.
Im not really trying to turn the rifle into anything super charged. I was hoping that with the 28" barrel and lever evolution, i could get enough velocity to expand the ballistic tips reliably but at a safe pressure. In theory according to my hornady book, i should get 2200 fps with a 20" barrel and an increase in velocity with a longer barrel. i have lots of the 165gr ballistic tips and no flat points. My hunting would be done on small deer under 100yds.
The combo is a great walking gun, grouse/deer. But i dont want to destroy it.

Try searching for information on the 7.5 X 54 MAS. Is it a French made gun?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make a chamber cast and slug the bore. 7,5mm can still be .30 bore messured or close to .30.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The rifle shoots factorty 30/30 bullets quite nicely, i sighted it in last year with Federal 150gr bullets. But it does move the shoulder forward on the brass. So... i bought a set of dies and neck sized the brass. I then tried a few 150gr speer flat point bullets with imr 3031, seated to standard col of 2.54". These worked quite well as well. i dont have any of the flat points left, but have lots of the ballstic tips.
Ill have to see if i can figure out how to upload pictures, the loaded bullets look kinda cool. Ive only loaded a couple with imr3031 to try. If they shoot decent ill try the lever evolution next. Ill also have to see if i can get my chronogragh running...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Per Nosler, the Ballistic Tip will expand reliably from 1600-3000fps impact velocity.

http://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1347

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those old doubles and triples with the metric 30-30 and 25-35s usually had rounded shoulders as that's what the loading dies had back yonder..you can shoot them or US 30-30 which will fireform to the chamber although you may have some brass loass..

I would use the 150 or 170 gr. bullets loaded to about 2100 FPS in that gun, and that will keep it on face..Its a good practice..You can shoot spritzers but you will gain nothing by doing so...You cannot make a silk purse out of a pigs ear, besides the 170 gr. bullet at 2100 will kill deer and even larger game very well indeed within its 200 yard range and with that double make it 100 to 150 yards at best. and that's with irons. You got a fun gun to hunt deer with.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41838 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote