THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Real-world difference between a 270 win vs. 270 Weatherby?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real-world difference between a 270 win vs. 270 Weatherby?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
180 grain .308 bullet from a .30-06 or a .300 Weatherby. Centered heart shot at 275 yards from either, is the hunter or the deer going to be able to actual tell any difference?

180 grain .308 bullet from a .30-06 or a 170 from a 30-30. Centered heart shot at 275 yards from either, is the hunter or the deer going to be able to actually tell any difference?

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Pamela center-punched a waterbuck -- straight in frontal chest shot. 140 grain TSX did the job, as with a gemsbok from neck through opposite shoulder. I VERY much doubt she'd have gotten away with it using a 130-grain whatever in .270 Winchester.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both and love both. The Win is a little more pleasant to shoot, but not a lot. What I have found though, is the few 270Wby rifles I have had liked to be pushed to shoot well and the case capacity is perfect for high percentage fill of slow powder. My Wins are a little more finicky as the pressure goes up and I have been fairly limited in bullet selection due to accuracy VS velocity. My current 270 Weatherby is a Winchester 70 Classic Sporter with a fast 26" barrel and it will beat published velocities with sub minute accuracy with 110 TTSX, 130 TSX, Parttion, and Ballistic tip, 140 Sierra HPBT Gameking and 150 Partition (within published load data). It doesn't care for Bergers or 160 Partitions, but those may require a little tinkering. What I like about the Bee is there is less to worry about in a big cross-wind and it is a little bit forgiving if you range isn't exact. Is it a lot? No. Can every little bit help? You bet. I do think the 270 Wby is a jack of all trades and a master of most. It is easy to equal, but hard to beat from coyotes to elk.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rub Line:
Personally, I like the 270 winchester. I would opt for the 270WSM over the WBY if I needed more velocity.

I picked up LH Winchester Featherweight some years back for a very good price, it happened to be chambered in 270WSM. I hand load it with 130 gr bullets at 3000 fps, about like a 270 Win. but I can shoot 150 gr bullets at 3000 fps second if I feel the need for more power. The 270WSM is a versatile round.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a Weatherby, you only have to hit the animal, anywhere, to be assured of a kill

And you can shoot at animals much further away than you would with standard cartridges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biggest difference: Price and availability of factory ammunition. 270 Win easy to find in any podunk town (although may only have one brand or bullet weight, ie Corelokt 130s). 270 Roy? Good luck! You'll also have fewer shells in the magazine, but realistically, if you need the fourth shot without reloading, chances are you probably did something very wrong (poor hit or clean miss on the first three) with the first three, and the fourth likely won't matter that much.

Going to either magnum, maximum point blank range will stretch a little, and the odds of a DRT go up a little from the shock. If you have one, I see little reason to get a second 270 of any flavor.

If you are convinced you need (or just decide you want for the coolness factor or whatever) a 270 magnum, go for the WSM. It's a lot less than the Weatherby price-wise, and much more easier to find. And, I think it's even available in some Weatherby rifle models.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 30 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a rifle loony, I would advise you for the sake of sanity to buy both. Use for several years and you will discover what YOU like and sell the other. In the process you Will buy and experiment with more toys and that has a little utility of satisfaction for all of us.
I have experience with the Win. but none with the WBY.
In all practical experience any centerfire with reasonable ballistics will do the job in the right hands from a true hunter. Many calibers are used that can do it all, but it does not mean it is the best for everything. Each has a little nitch and a sweet spot.
Questioning reason by using heavier than normal bullets to attain heavier killing power which is easily attained by the parent case! Trying to hot load, increase pressure, case stickings especially in the African sun or any sun will delineate any advantages with the hotrod. At what length barrel do you stop to question practicality and rifle balance.
With todays ballistic dots placement on the reticle for less than a hundred bucks renders all velocity arguments towards Kentucky elevation mute. Dead is dead.
Since you have a .300 mag. already you can download to desired levels with a 165grain bullet and it will outdo both .270's. For elk it is a better cartridge than the .270's. It does not mean they are incapable just outclassed.
For deer, sheep, antelope, pigs, wolf, coyote etc.. the .270 Win. with a 130grain, shines in that nitch and is more than enough.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quintus:
I have both and love both. The Win is a little more pleasant to shoot, but not a lot. What I have found though, is the few 270Wby rifles I have had liked to be pushed to shoot well and the case capacity is perfect for high percentage fill of slow powder. My Wins are a little more finicky as the pressure goes up and I have been fairly limited in bullet selection due to accuracy VS velocity. My current 270 Weatherby is a Winchester 70 Classic Sporter with a fast 26" barrel and it will beat published velocities with sub minute accuracy with 110 TTSX, 130 TSX, Parttion, and Ballistic tip, 140 Sierra HPBT Gameking and 150 Partition (within published load data). It doesn't care for Bergers or 160 Partitions, but those may require a little tinkering. What I like about the Bee is there is less to worry about in a big cross-wind and it is a little bit forgiving if you range isn't exact. Is it a lot? No. Can every little bit help? You bet. I do think the 270 Wby is a jack of all trades and a master of most. It is easy to equal, but hard to beat from coyotes to elk.

We have both too. I loved the BDL in 270 I gave to my youngest son. He now loves it too. I'm still getting used to my Weatherby Mark V. It's a bit heavy, the trigger is fine, I'm going to start loading Accubond LR 150s in it and buy some Matrix 165s as well. If I find that it starts to grow on me, I'll probably have it restocked with a lighter composite stock, put a Burris Eliminator iii on it and ring some gongs out to 1000 yards, then maybe take it hunting.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4730 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
... If I find that it starts to grow on me, I'll probably have it restocked with a lighter composite stock,

I put a light Brown Prec. composite stock on my .270-WBY 25 yrs ago, and never looked back.
I think it topped out around 8.25lb with sling and three rounds.
I only ever loaded it 2 down 1 up (with room for more), hence mag. capacity was not an issue.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Nice! You guys have inspired me.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4730 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 270 WBY does have an advantage, up to 250 to even 300 FPS with carefully tailored loads. It requires a 26 inch tube to do this and you have more gun to pack around all day..

Personally I have always believed the 270 WBY was one of the best that WBY had to offer, and its been severely overlooked and underated by most including my self.

That said, I prefer the fwt. .270 for my hunting, I'm not a long range shooter and very rarely take a shot at even 350 to 400 yards. I don't care for packing heavy rifles but if I do then my 300 H&H has served me for many years, and with a proper handload it will perform as well as the .270 WBY for me, and its packing a lot more bullet when it gets there. Mostly it loafs in the gun case.

It just boils down to what blows your skirt up.Smiler I may change my mind tomorrow on about any subject.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote