THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    What are s/h Bell & Carson stocks worth?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are s/h Bell & Carson stocks worth?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted
My buddy has a 10yo B&C Tikka stock from a 9.3x62 he wants to sell. Though it worked well, the finish has gone sticky and he wants to send it back to be refinished. Trouble is, once that's done, exporting it again from the US is a PITA, so he's thinking of selling it over your side.

We have some friends who would do that for us but I wouldn't ask them to ship it out of the country.

Thanks if anyone can suggest a fair price to ask for such a refurbished stock.

Posts: 4968 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is what ebay shows. Somebody bid $175 for one of these. You might watch the one that started with the low minimum bid and is at $54 and see how high it runs up:

https://www.ebay.com/b/Bell-an...rts/73949/bn_5877273

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just refinish it herself?

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1057 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'll pass that info on, esp. Hasher's opinion that sending back a stock for refinishing is unmanly. Though the whole acquisition and history of that stock is a mystery (to one who just oils any scratches on his old wooden stocks), I suppose refinishing at home might not downgrade its value more than the cost of shipping and getting it done in America.

Posts: 4968 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by an s/h stock?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Thanks guys, I'll pass that info on, esp. Hasher's opinion that sending back a stock for refinishing is unmanly. Though the whole acquisition and history of that stock is a mystery (to one who just oils any scratches on his old wooden stocks), I suppose refinishing at home might not downgrade its value more than the cost of shipping and getting it done in America.

I would never suggest that a Digfer is unmanly.

Just considering the cost to get it there and back Ali g with the time I would think sandi f it down himself and doing a home finish job would cost lest and be done in a week or two.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Well, Mike, s/h means second-hand over here.

Hasher, yes, that makes sense to me. I haven't even seen the stock since it went bad. In fact that he had sold the rifle was news to me and a mistake IMHO because the 9.3x62 is a much better sambar rifle than the 300 Win mag he uses now.

I would have thought some sort of solvent might be indicated to get rid of the stickiness before sanding but he says B&C just sand them back...

I'd like to know why their finish is so dodgy in the first place - the varnish on my Sako 338 has remained good over 43 years, though I do rub some oil into any scratches.

PS: what exactly do you mean by a digfer? Is that someone asking for info?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry meant to say Digger and didn’t check my spelling.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to/don't have time to refinish the stock yourself I'd suggest just remove the hardware and take it somewhere that does furniture refinishing. One of my rifles has a B&C stock I put on it 35+ years ago that has held up quite well. Original finish has some scratches as it's been hunted with all over the place but still doesn't look too bad.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hasher,
but he's not been in the army. Might have come to help me with my deer the other day if he had. (Sambar are big critters and need to be taken out of the bush in pieces.) On the other hand, had he been a soldier he might not still be hunter. My father was apparently a great hunter before WWII - not so much afterwards.

Yes, Mark, if it were up to me, I'd never have bought the damned thing. He was worried the wooden stock was getting scratched - you'd think it was a Purdey, not a Tikka.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Acetone/91% isopropyl alcohol + paper towels with chem resistant gloves will remove the sticky. Do it outdoors. Test on an inconspicuous spot first. When done, spray the stock with a good, satin lacquer furniture finish. If it gets scratched, just buff it with a 3M pad and re-coat.

I hope the company that marketed that stuff had good liability insurance.

Posts: 3683 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bobster,
That looks most helpful and I've passed it on to my mate, verbatem.

Cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this rifle for sale and is it a 9.3x62? If so that will add to its value somewhat, that caliber is bringing a premium.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
He'd already sold the rifle, unknown to me, with the original wooden stock. It seems he did all right out of the deal, though, getting $A1700 for it. IIRC, he'd got it new for $1200 about 10 years ago.

I would have hung on to it, as I've said, as I think the 9.3 is much better for sambar in our thick bush than the 300WM he uses now. He had been thinking of getting a 338WM before he got the .300 but I had said it was too close to the 9.3 in performance to be bothered, considering his luke-warm commitment to the sport. My suggestion of the 300WM was based on the assumption he would keep the 9.3 and that he might use the new rifle for longer shots at tahr and red deer, as well as sambar.

He claims he didn't like his small gunsafe being so crowded - I would have got another container.