Find
Notify
Tools

270 for mulie
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted
If you were going to New Mexico to hunt Mule deer what weight of 270 bullet would you use - Im thinking about a 150 grain.

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Palmer, I really don't think 150's are necessary, though they'll certainly work! Personally, I've always used either 130's or 140's in my 270's to take full advantage of its "flat shooting" potential.

2 bits,

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
The classic mule deer cartridge! Use the bullet that shoots best in your rifle - from 130 to 150 they're all fine for mule deer.

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
After shooting various .270 Win. rifles at mule deer and other stuff (off & on) for nearly 25 years, I've long been of the opinion that 130 gr. premium bullets at around 3150 fps. get the most out of this cartridge. My biggest mule deer (196 pts. net B&C) was taken with a .270 Winchester shooting 130 gr. Nosler Partitions. At the shot, he went down as if lightening struck him, and the bellet went clear through. Just one example out of many..........

AD

<JimF>
posted
I've just rebarreled my last 270 to a different caliber but have killed several mulies with various 270s over the years. I always used the 130 Hornady, and a few 130 partitions, with great success. I never got more than about 3000 fps with mine but it was plenty. Not much need for a premium bullet for deer in a 270, but if you are partial to premiums, use the 130 partition.

I agree, "the classic mule deer round"

JimF

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Hi Palmer,

Either bullet is great for those muleys. There is precious little difference in their trajectories over practical hunting distances so shoot the one that shoots best from your rifle. The 140's are also good so you're in a win-win situation! The desert muleys in SE NM aren't quite as big bodied as the rocky mountain muleys found in the central and northern parts of the state, but there are exceptions. I know of a buck killed during the last rifle season in the sandhills of the SE area that weighed 320 lbs field-dressed and another taken in the same general area several years ago that had a 38" inside spread. But it really doesn't matter what size they are if you're shooting a .270 because it is the closest thing to the "perfect" mule deer caliber--my opinion after using .257 Wby up to .300 Win Mag and many in between.
Good Hunting! [Smile]

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
palmer,
Like others have suggested use the 130's or the bullet that shoot's best in your gun.

Posts: 21 | Location: Las Vegas NV | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
While living in Alaska, I used the 150 grain Nosler partition bullet for all hunting with my .270's. When I moved to Colorado, I changed to the 130 grain Nosler partition. It proved plenty adequate for large mule deer and black bear hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 270's favour 59 gr of RL 22 and a 130 gr Barnes X bullet. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 130 gr would be my choice as long as deer was the only animal to be hunted. I prefer Sierras but any decent buller that you unit shoots well will kill a muley from any angle.

Posts: 174 | Location: ,Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted deer and elk for many years with a 270 and I finally settled on the 130 gr. Nosler partition for deer and the 160 for elk...

The 270 is argueably the finest mule deer rifle caliber around...I have no doubt of that. It's not too shabby on all plainsgame in Africa either.

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine likes the 140 Ballistic Tip. The Muleys don"t think much of it, they just fall over.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I like the 130's, the weight its' reputation was built on. A fabulous hunting round.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back when I started shooting the 270 I shot nothing but 130 grain bullets, to make what could be a long story short, in 1993 I shot a very big muley with a 130 grain Nosler Partition @ almost 250 yards. The bullet entered the back of the right rib cage and took the left shoulder and stopped under the hide on the point of the shoulder. The deer rear up like a horse and fell over backward and proceeded to kick himself to the edge of a canyon. His rack hung up in a cedar tree and that kept him from going over the edge about75'. However,when I skinned him he was bruised/bloodshot from his left ear to the back of the rib cage on that side. Alot of energy transfer. Yet, I am a two hole guy and have since used 150 grain Nosler Partitions. For a similar situation last year I shot a big mule deer @308 yards (measured) only facing the other way. Before I get ragged on for the distance My wife a good friend and I had been sitting on a hill glassing-I was NOT winded,we had a laser range finder, I shoot right at 1000 rounds every year on various varmints. I KNEW I could make the shot as I took a steady sitting position. And the shot was nearly identical except this one exited behind the shoulder. The deer staggered about 50' and pitched over on his nose. Very similar to what 12 other deer have done since I have gone to the 150's. They will start out a little slower yet my experience has shown the slightly higher Ballistic coefficient and sectional density make up the difference down range. Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allen day:
My biggest mule deer (196 pts. net B&C) was taken with a .270 Winchester shooting 130 gr. Nosler Partitions. At the shot, he went down as if lightening struck him, and the bellet went clear through.
AD

Just curious.....where were did you hit him?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Orion>
posted
use the 130grain Nosler PARTITION
Weidemannsheil martin

<allen day>
posted
This deer was about eight-five yards away and I hit him in the left shoulder. The bullet exited just behind his right shoulder and was not recovered.

AD

posted Hide Post
If you are expecting to have mostly close range shots I would avoid any Ballistic Tips or Hornady SSTs. My son shot a big buck with a 140gr SST from about 35yds last year, shot was quartering away and the bullet disintegrated inside the chest cavity. Yes, he went down and we got to take pictures but any bullet that can't go clear through on a broadside shot isn't in my plans for any future hunts. I've had similar troubles with Ballistic Tips.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Palmer,
I'm going off this end deep! You NEED a new gun!
If I were you and had a hunt coming in N.M. I'd have to get something else to shoot. [Big Grin]

All kidding aside I think any of the 130 to 150gr. bullets would work. Personally I'd use 130 and no heavier than 140gr. Learn your tradjectories if you plan to shoot past maximum point blank range. Longer shots are more probable than close ones. Have Fun!!! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To read one of the best aticles I have seen on the 270 (270 in Africa) go to http://www.rifleshooter.com/biggame.htm. These guys have too much money and too much fun - but they have acquired alot of experience. Good insignt on different bullet types as well. My wife just gave me a book by Jack O'connor (The Big Game Rifle) - by the way this a priceless gem of a book and is available from Barnes & Noble (no I don't sell books) - who as we all know was the 270's greatest fan - some neat stories in there about the 270 and hunting and rifles in general. Turns out the only two grizzlies he ever saw die instantly were shot with a 270 and 130 gr and a 300 H&H wth a 180 gr. You are going deer hunting - and any of the bullets the other members have suggested are fine. Shoot well and have fun.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For Rifleman1's link, try this: http://www.rifleshooter.com/biggame.htm

There was a period at the end that was holding it up.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Palmer - I don't think anyone has mentioned this point, but it depends on WHERE in New Mexico you plan to hunt mule deer. Some areas long shots rule while other zones it can be almost jungle warfare. I would lean towards the heavier bullets in the thick stuff. Your chance of a long shot in these zones can be slim to none.

Most of the .270 guys I knew in New Mexico always used the 150 gr. and I think I would lean that way myself. I'm kinda new to the .270 fan club, having had most of my first hand experience with other calibers. NM mule deer can get pretty big, although this year they will likely be rather poor due to the drought.

Good luck.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote