Notify
Tools

TSX's penciling--AHA!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Ben

A hollowpoint bullet made out of copper and shot as 700ft/s faster than the lead/copper bullet will look like those posted. Its suppose to, they cannot look like a lead bullet its impossible Roll Eyes. If it were a lead copper bullet it would be awful as a monolithic its perfect.
The copper petals shear off about 2"-4" into the beast and the 'wadcutter' shoulder stabilises to carry on penetrating in a straight line.
I shoot a lot of deer every year with excellent results every time.
Fortunatly its a free country and you can shoot whatever bullet works for you. Barnes TSX are not however a premium monolithic bullet unlike the GS Custom or KJG you are comparing oranges with apples.
Most critism comes from those who refuse to understand the different internal/external/terminal ballistics of the next generation of bullet.
In response to Gumboot some of us just like mucking around with the ballistics to make life easier for those you dont Smiler

Mark

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MARK, What are you shooting in the UK that requires all that penetration?
Myself, I much prefer a bullet that gives a wide exit hole and maximum destruction. Monos that blow there petals off at impact simply do not so this and the puny entrance and exit holes of the pics you have posted proves this.
I would take a Noz Ballistic Tip any day of the week over mono bullet that turn into wad cutters at impact.

one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
I'm beginning to think that the TSX is great in theory and practical application MOST of the time. But this thread and others like it keep bringing up lack of basic Quality Control in such things as weight consistency, pressure ring spacing, and now hollowpoint construction.

No wonder the TSX are so controversial. Most times they work great when they're made right. When they are off-spec enough they don't work as designed, but they work as built.

Sounds like Barnes has a fairly chronic QA/QC problem.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chronic QC problems is right and this goes back to the original X bullet being built on roached out tooling with inconsistent lots of copper.
There loading data is pretty suspect too from what I have seen.
Its for these reasons that I dont have much faith in the company and am hoping that the E-Tip works out. Its a shame really given they have some fine ideas.

One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Hi Ben

I shoot a lot of fallow deer with a 105gn 7mm bullet @ ranges of 230 yds or 123gn in 30 cal. I can therefore reduce the bullet weight and retain the leathality. I dont need massive amounts of blood shot meat or 3" exit hole as that is against the principal of why I hunt. The animal expires just as quick and if say it runs 50yds (which is rare) into thick bush I have two trained deer dogs.
Most hunting in the UK is for meat and the damage a NBT is frowned apon unless you head/neck shooting. NBT have a reputation of messing up the carcass and the lead core seperating from the jacket. Been there got the medal.
I have used NBT, gamekings,woodleighs,Swift A frames and interbonds/accubonds in the past and for my purposes the monolithics win hands down. Variety is the spice of life Cool
Mark

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If meat damage is a issue shoot them through the ribs, behind the shoulder. Not a ounce of meat damage this way, unless your into deer ribs, which I am not. Your pissing money away using expensive bullets like that on slightly built deer and in situations like yours standard bullets will kill quicker in most cases.

I culled over 100 Fallow deer off a property my dad owned using a 25-06 and .243 using Speer Hot cores and Sierra Game kings. In every case they worked perfectly.

One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Good for you Ben.

Perhaps some of us like to 'piss our money away'. Are you my bank manager or something.Perhaps I like Havana cigars and Islay malt whiskey or do you have a cheaper and better way that I can enjoy myself.

Of course I could use NBT or Sierra gamekings with a 25-06 or 243. I am not making any statements against your way to hunt. I prefer to shoot my 7x64 Brenneke, 375 H+H or 458 Lott because I can. So what, how dead does a deer need to be?

All I am reading from you is a load of critism.Why are you getting so hot under the collar and self rightous about something you have no experience of, if you have some real experience of banded copper hollow-points please share.
This forum is about exchangeing ideas. If none of us experimented with different ideas and do as you prescribe we would have to get rid much of this great forum.

Going back to the thread I'm with Slatts and would conclude that some of the TSX will act like an FMJ and fail to expand due to a failure of quality control on the depth and size of the hollow point. The design however in sound in principle but the hollow-point could be a bit larger and depth consistent.

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A nice Islay scotch like Laphroaig or Lagavulin, is never a waste. A copper bullet that blows its petals off immediately and costs a arm and a leg is. Especially give a standard bullet kills better when used on small deer.
Barnes bullet could be much better if they were more consistent and had a few slight design changes.
I hope the E-Tip works out and then Barnes will be an after thought for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the recovered slugs from this thread.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6321043/m/478106047

Robert

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 342 | Location: Jawja | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My personal take on the TSX is as follows. When the original X hit the scene I was very interested. But no matter what I did I could never get them to shoot accurately in any caliber I tried, Randy Brooks went out of his way to send me box after box but 2" at 100 yards was about all I ever got.By the same token friends of mine had rifles that shot them very, very well. As many found out the barrel fouling was truly a pain in the ass. After a few years I gave up trying them. However with all it's quirks everyone that used them in the field raved about them. You want to break some bones ? use an X.

The TSX came along and I barley raised an eyebrow. Then David Miller told me he was having great luck with accuracy using the TSX in his Marksman's. Based on Davids results I began shooting them as well. To date I can say that the TSX bullet has been as accurate or more accurate than most of the bullets we use for accuracy testing in any given rifle. The barrel fouling issue is no more than any other jacked bullet we shoot.

Over the past three years we have developed allot of loads for clients using the TXS and it's sister the Banded Solid. Getting them to shoot to the same point of impact is no harder than conventional jacked bullets. I still don't like the length issues but there are allot of things in life I don't like. As far as performance in the field all our clients that have used these bullets have been very satisfied. Most of these were larger calibers 338 and up. I have heard some reports about the smaller caliber TSX's doing odd things at times. As 98 said I have a friend that was culling some game in Africa and have some issues with a couple animals and switched to some Swift A-frames to continue the cull without any other issues. What happened ? bad lot ? bad shots ? I wasn't there so I'm not sure. The Rifleman involved is no wannabe and does know sheep shit from cotton seed.

As we know all bullets can fail. I shot a big post rut bull elk this year with a 300 Wtby with a 180gr TSX driven at 3206 fps at the muzzle. I loaded this bullet just to try it out. The bull took the first bullet broadside through the shoulders at 35 yards. He dropped at the shot and then tried to stand back up when # two hit him 2 " away from the first one. Down but not dead I finished him with a third bullet at 4 feet. By the time I quit shaking and took a few pic's it was dark and I had to break the bull down. I admit I was not concerned with following bullet paths only making meat, staying warm and hopefully getting back to camp before midnight. I only found one bullet and I think it was the first shot. It had one peddle left, was bent and weighed 149grs. It was on the offside under the hide as one would expect. I never found other two. I do not know if the stayed in the body or not. Did the bullet or bullets fail ? I'm eating elk and my taxidermist has just named a new Bass boat after me. This is the first TSX that I have used. Normally I would use a 200gr Partition with a muzzle vel. of 3000 fps. I have seen many head of game killed with this combo and have always loved the results up close and beyond the 400 yard line with similar sized animals. Will I try another TSX in this rifle, may be, may be not but I know enough to say that one elk and one load doesn't give you much to go on. I have had more unusual things happen with Plastic Tipped bullets than any other bullet design regardless of the manufacture. I'm not sure I'd like a TSX made with a plastic nose due to the self imposed stigma that I have created with other plastic tipped bullets. Is this fair ? hardly. In the remainder of my hunting career I doubt I'll draw enough tags and shoot enough game to say if a TSX bullet is better or worse than any other bullet. People such as 98 that live in areas that allow the hunter to shoot many many large animals will have a more objective view than the rest of us due to the the amount of game they can shoot. In short we are lucky to have so many good bullets from which to chose from that to debate the pros and cons is fun but mostly mental masturbation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good post D'Arcy!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In regards to my TSX post above I think you're asking an awful lot of any bullet to hold together when driven into an animal the size of a mature elk at velocity of 3200-fps. As I said I have used this caliber quite a bit and 99 % of the time I have use a 200gr bullet driven at 3000-fps. I have shot similar sized animals at 50 to 100 yards with Swifts, Partitions and even the Match kings and never lost an animal, however non I can remember were shot inside of 50 yards that weighed 700 pounds. I've quit using the Match King for anything larger than deer but I still like the Match King for open country hunting and and up to 300 pound animals. Would a 200gr TXS have given me better performance than the 180gr in this latest instance ? probably I'd love to find out. For those interested in these test results please forward your dollars to the "Send D'Arcy back on another Elk hunt fund" and I will gladly keep you updated.

Bullet companies don't have any easy life if their progressive and competitive. They have to make bullets to expand at 1000-fps and at 3400-fps, shoot five shot groups into .250 at 200 yards every time in every rifle make and model or we the public cry foul. These same bullets need to penetrate completely through 4 feet of flesh and bone and then exit. Others feel these wonder bullets need to stop just on the off side of every animal no matter the size or distance to expend all the energy inside the animal or the bullet is junk. For all you folks that feel the TSX, Swift, Partition, North-fork ,Trophy Bonded, etc are to soft, to hard, to this or that I suggest you invest a couple million dollars in time material and effort to make the prefect bullet. I for one feel we already have them and I'm going hunting instead.
Cheers !

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of common sense for these forums, D'Arcy.

Hope you and your family have a wonderful New Year.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way back in 1998 in preperation for a trip to RSA I bought a mess of .375" and .308" Barnes X-Bullets and began working up loads. Accuracy was nonexistent,even in a pair of .375's.

Bought some more as I thought I possibly had not started on a clean barrel and now Barnes was selling the copper out bore cleaner as well. But....Same deal, poor accuracy, in the 3" range.

One day I noticed that the overall length as well as the OGIVE profile varied on ALL of my .375" bullets. Varied quite a lot. No wonder my groups were in the 3" range or worse.

I was at the SCI convention in Reno a few weeks later and brought all my remaining bullets and showed them to Connie . She tells me that there were some initial manufacturing problems with too soft alloy as well as some "die problems" . She asked which weights I was shooting and brought boxes of those weights up onto the counter.

I thought to myself ;"This is nice. She's going to replace the bad bullets with new ones". Then she says; "That will be $105".

And $105 was full list price for those bullets.

THAT was the end of me buying ANYTHING from Barnes. I don't care how great their bullets perform. I'll stick to NP's and a company that stands behind their product.

If anyone wants to Beta test for Barnes go right ahead....I refuse to.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D'arcy, I agree, that's a lot of common sense. I also like your statement that it is fun, if not mostly mental masturbation.

As I stated, despite having a few issues, I still like the TSX's. I'm actually willing to invest a little effort to help the product be it's best--in the same breath, I agree with those who have said that for a 'premium' product, you shouldn't have to be tuning up somebody's bullets...

I know there are issues with this bullet from time to time, accuracy has never been one for me, but I have actually been surprised to learn some of what I posted here.

I reallyreally don't like to hear things like FN posted, that kind of encounter is the sort of thing that can make me ban a company from my business permanantly.....

Fun stuff---I hope you get on your next Elk hunt soon--me too.....

Oh yeah D'arcy, I still think you should have built me a Legend in 270 Win.... Wink

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've skimmed the posts above and maybe someone has brought this up but.....I sort my boxes of bullets when I get them. I use the really open tips for hunting....I try to load the marginally open tips for load development and barrel fouling before the hunt. I'm not worried about any of my hunting bullets opening since I've sorted em.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Before any reader decides to refuse to use the TSX bullet you should wait until I finish my comments. I am going to dinner and have more to say which is good and not-so-good. Don't get too excited and reserve making judgement.

popcorn coffee Roll Eyes sofa

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rd277:
Ok, I am the guy the D'Arcy mentioned in his note as doing some culling in Africa that had some issues with TSX bullets. I will elaborate but first let me tell you about my experience.

I have been fortunate and have hunted in Africa 12 times in the past 11 years. For the last 9 hunts I have used a .270 Win. with various 130 gr. bullets including Bitteroot, Nosler partition, Fail Safe, X, TSX, Swift A-frame and Scirocco, Bear Claw, and Federal Classic Hi-Shock. There may be others but I can't recall at this time. I have taken about 219 animals at ranges of 30 yards to 389 yards. I stopped using a bullet when I became dissatisfied with it for some reason. Those reasons included slow stopping/killing, lack of accuracy, or inconsistency of either performance on game or on the range.

Animals range in size from young warthogs (kitchen hogs for those interested in a very fine meal) to bull eland (which weigh as much as buffalo).

My hunting companions used .300 Win., 300 RUM, .338, .375 H&H, and .416 Rigby. So, I have seen the results of their use as well. My first trips were made with a .280 and a 7mm Rem. Mag. Perhaps I will offer my observations on these "bigger sticks" if anyone is interested.

On my last trip I used, equally, the Barnes TSX and the Swift A-Frame. I fired 12 TSX's and recovered 4. Two the the bullets failed to expand properly. Eight of them full penetrated so I have no evidence of the expansion.

First, lets discuss the "failures". I shot a bull eland, a very large bull, at 145 yards. I place two shots with virtually identical
placement. The bull spun 180 degrees at the first shot which resulted in the opportunity to make the second. The first resulted in a typical sample of a post impact TSX. There was very little weight loss, no loss of petals, and a frontal width of a little less than 2x. The nose of the second was bent over at an angle which resulted in no expansion. Imagine taking a very sharp pencil, which would have a very long point, and then exerting too much pressure when writing.

I also took two on-the-large size wildebeasts. Again, there was a difference in performance. As luck would have it, both were shot quartering towards me a the same angle. I was in thick thorn bush and the ranges were about 40 yards. Again, one bullet was picture perfect but this time the second one showed expansion only for the first 40% of the expanding portion of the nose cavity (that for which expansion is possible). It is interesting that the first beast ran over 300 yards and set a record for distance run following a solid shot and the second beast ran a distance that I have come to expect, that is 35 to 50 yards.

I was unsettled by these occurances so used the Swift A-Frames for the duration of the trip. Also, I just wanted to gather more data on their performance.

Before any reader decides to refuse to use the TSX bullet you should wait until I finish my comments. I am going to dinner and have more to say which is good and not-so-good. Don't get too excited and reserve making judgement.

Back from dinner and a movie( The Bucket List--worthwhile!).

Now for the not-so-good. I have noticed that the spacing of the grooves around the shank of the bullet varies from lot to lot. Initially this bothered me but I was bothered because I thought I had loaded the wrong weight of bullet. I quit being concerned about that issue. Thankfully the profile of the bullet has not been changed. The accuracy of the bullet has been consistent except I have noticed a slight decrease in the most recent lots. It is still acceptable for hunting. Incidently I require my rifle bullet system to be able to hit a grapefruit size target before I will attempt a shot. While the heart lung area is larger than a grapefruit, hits outside the core of the area are, on average, much less effective than those placed in the core of the heart/lung area. Shots which miss the heart/lung area predicably result in bad memories.

I believe the use of the A-Frame and the TSX substantially increase the "power" of the .270 Win. It is fully adequate for use on the entire range of plains game.

I had the best results with the first production run of the Swift Scirocco's. Every animal hit fell where they stood. In addition they were very accurate. Later production runs were never able to reproduce the accuracy of the first. Recent production consistently have at least one flier in each group. The Scirocco II's are just as inconsistent accuracy wise and the "improvement" made to decrease frontal area makes it less of a "quick stopper" than the first editions. The writers wrote that the large frontal area resulted in decreased penetration and concluded that was somehow a bad thing. Writers read their own material so much that they start believing they have some special knowledge and insight. For example you should disregard all the writings of anyone who attempts to determine bullet expansion by reducing the muzzle velocity of test bullets so they can be shot into test media at close range. Rotational velocity, which is a function of muzzle velocity and twist, does not decrease over normal hunting distances and as actual impact velocity decreases, rotational velocity has an increasing influence on expansion.

I believe that the new tipped TSX may be one of the two bullets that I would be satisfied to use. Having a tip results in a larger cavity in the nose which should initiate expansion even more quickly. My experience is that the current TSX's will fully expand on broadside shots on 30 pound warthogs.

I really like the A-Frame's. They are very accurate. Jarrett uses them. They are very well designed. It is a good thing that the rear cavity bulges foreward. That bulge serves to support the leaves of the expanded nose. Rarely, do they break off. It is also a very quick killer. In fact, for ranges inside 325 yards or so, it is my first choice.

I will provide comments on the other bullets if anyone is interested. I will post pictures of the four TSX's if I can figure out how to do so. Likewise I will provide my observations on the "big sticks" if there is interest. Hint, I don't own anything between .300 and .375.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
I've skimmed the posts above and maybe someone has brought this up but.....I sort my boxes of bullets when I get them. I use the really open tips for hunting....I try to load the marginally open tips for load development and barrel fouling before the hunt. I'm not worried about any of my hunting bullets opening since I've sorted em.

Kraky, as usual you have a good, logical process for managing things......but it would be nice if barnes made the bullets consistent enough we didn't have to manage at all wouldn't it!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
rd277,
please continue with your other observations regarding the calibers and various bullets!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that's why we are seeing the ttsx....my bet is the regular one will fall by the wayside soon....and there will be updates to the ttsx....what else would you expect from barnes but new stuff about every10-18 mo's.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote