New
Find
Notify
Tools

the all-around gun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
what gun can be used as a beater rifle, get good groups at distance, use a good round(like 30-06), and not cost alot? any info would be useful

Posts: 121 | Location: Elmira, NY, USA | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think what you described is one of the newer Savage rifles....not much on looks but they shoot and they are inexpensive.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on how fancy you want there are tons of mil surplus out there. Any good used bolt action that hasn't been taken care of. Trouble is I have brought several beaters then I clean and fix them up they are not beaters any more. Just brought another one a 99 jap some converted to 300 sav for 30 dollars thought it well be a great loaner beater rifle. Took it out to 50 yards with open sites put them all in one hole might have to fix this one up also.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Rock,

if you lived here in Sweden, I�d say, go with an old Husky 8x57 or 9,3x57 for some 50 or 75 dollars in a pretty good shape. You can shoot everything you want with them and they are accurate enough. Ammo is easily available at every little iron monger.

Fritz

------------------
...the mark of the hunter is the ability to get close.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<richard10x>
posted
Mausers!!! M-94/98/38 Swededish in 6.5x55mm, M-93/95 Bolivian in 7x57mm, M-98/09 Argentine in 8x57mm. Any of these will take just about all the game you are likley to hunt in North America, and can be the basis for a great sporter as your budget allows.

<David Boren>
posted
A good "all-around" gun. Definently a 300 win mag. Or if you prefer, a 300 WSM. Whatever suits your fancy. Either way, a cheap accurate rifle... that would be a Remington M700 BDL and a 24 inch Lilja barrel. Say 500 for the rifle and about 400 for the barrel and installation cost. Then get a good 4.4-14 or 4-12 or similar power scope for it. That would be a super accurate "all around" rifle. Might not fit into the cheap catagory... but it definently fits into the best catagory.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rock, for sure the best bang for your buck is going to be a Mil Surplus bolt actions.
My first pick would be a 30/06 Springfield or Enfield. And then my other first pick would be one of the fine Mauser rifles in 8X57, 7X57 or the Argentinean...even the smaller 6.5 Mauser is a good cartridge.

All of these are superb, easy to get along with and pleasant to shoot. The /06 is so versatile you can load it down to .22 velocity for hunting small game you might want to eat, or you can crank the thing up all the way to a bear and moose rifle! It will do it all regardless what the new breed of shooters tell you. They think anything that doesn't have a belted case and puke out at least 100 grains of powder each shot can't be any good. But somehow our father's managed to make do with these "obsolete" calibers and bring home everything that walked. Come to think of it, I don't believe any more of our dads got mauled than happens today.

[This message has been edited by Pecos45 (edited 04-23-2002).]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm attempting to do something a little different. I accepted a challenge to make a rifle for less than $100.00 that weighs under 8 pounds and shoots less than 3 inch groups at 100 yards. I chose a Polish M44 carbine in 7.62X54R. I have made the weight limit by removing the swing out bayonnet along with other things. I'm just getting around to accuracy testing/reloading but the initial testing was very positive. Military surplus ammo was running about 2600 FPS which is pretty similar to 30-06/.308 loads. You can buy reloadable factory S&B ammo from cheaper than dirt for $8.00/box.

Total cost so far...... $50.00.

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Consider the Howa distributed by Legacy Sports. sure-shot