Find
Notify
Tools

TSX or VLD for 7x57?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all,

I am looking for an all around bullet in my 7x57. What is your favorite bullet in the 7x57? I may have an opportunity to shoot long distance this season and want a quality bullet.

Thanks,

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir,
Not a long range or VLD shooter, but in regards to an all around bullet1

Not one of the two choices, but I am a Nosler fan, Accubonds and ballistic tips shoot well in most of my rifles and in my 7x57 as well. If one believes the ballistic tips are to frangible, the Accubonds should do the trick all the way up to elk.

GWB

here is from a previous post..............

here is a little number chambered in 7 x 57 on a mauser action, handcarved mesquite stock, bedded, douglas barrel, timney trigger and leupold 3 x 9 scope.
Shot these one Sunday morning.
GWB

After a couple more range sessions, my go to load has become 46 gr w-760. It gives the best velocity/accuracy combo IMHO.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Hornaday or Nosler bullet in my 7x57 140 grain.I used to use the regular barnes x when they first came out just to see how they worked,they did the job well.
Now days the deer and other critters that I hunt don't seem to be that bullet resistant so I am keeping them for Elk.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Ruger #1 here. I'm getting sub 1" groups at 100 yards with several loads.

145gr. Speers / 50.0 H4350 give me 2835 fps and are super consistent in my rifle. 3/4" accuracy or better.

160 Partitions / 47.0 H4350 delivered 2650 fps and solid 1" accuracy.

175 gr. Horn IL's / 49.0 of Hunter delivered 2575 fps and 1" accuracy.

All loads printed w/in 2" of each other. I've settled on Partitions (Nosler seconds, to be exact) for my goto load. For California I'll be using a 140gr. Nosler e-Tip. Initial testing was promising - again delivering 1" groups. I didn't chrono that load though. If I can deliver 2750-2825, I'll be more than happy.

All loads were loaded to a 3.06" OAL, CCI LR primers.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trout,

You have suggested bullets that subscribe to two very different aproaches with regard to terminal performance.

The Berger VLD will penetrate a few inches and expand violently, often almost disintegrating and the numerous projectiles cause substantial damage to internal organs killing quickly.

The TSX is a monolithic and will likely remain in one piece (close to 100% weight retention) and will create a wound channel with this single projectile. The bullets are strongly constructed and barely expand at very long range, even more of a problem with a relatively moderate velocity chambering like a 7x57.

That said penetration of the TSX is generally very good and exits are the norm whereas in my experience with VLD's they are the exception.

If you intend using VLD's choose your shot and don't bargain on more than about 4 or 5 inches of penetration.

For long range choose a high BC bullet. Here the VLD wins, but there are others that are more conventional in design that are pretty good too. You can choose bonded bullets like Interbonds, Accubonds or Scirrocos.

I'm not sure what you mean by "long range", but you may find that the 7x57 lacks the legs and the heavier bullets tend to travel really slowly and can result in pencil size wound channels at longer ranges.

I'd recommend a good bonded bullet that's not too tough and will expand, or even a conventional (unbonded) bullet at longer ranges; say 350 yards or further. What is the range and what are you hunting?

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I have two bullets in my 7x57 with both being verry accurate. The 120gn GS Custom at 3235fps and the 160 Gn Woodleigh at 2700fps. The GS is good for distance and with the same scope settings has zero at 250yds and the Woodleigh at 200yds. With the LR retical in my scope I can go from one to the other without doing anything other than Checking the data on my cheat sheets which are an inch x 3 inches and laminated and with my range finder. Havent had to shoot to distance yet as I hunt close but the ability is there when needed. In fact I usually hunt with a softnosed cast boolit (better than the Partition as I get expansion to .557 and 100% weight retention)at 2415 fps that is good to 250yds with my aperture sight.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 140gr and 160gr TSX's out of my 7x57 and love both. I have shot deer out to 400 yards with full expansion, .577 calipered. I have killed hogs, whitetail, elk and nilgai antelope. My load is 43/IMR4350 with the 160 @ 2600fps.

I would steer clear of the VLD. My limited personal experience with them is that they fragment and yaw violently at normal hunting distances. Penetration is questionable at best, non existent if you hit bone. TSX for me. Never had one "fail" with 100's of kills.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Next June my son and I will each be using the 160 gr Accubond and 140 E-Tip, respectively, in our 7x57's on plains game in Africa. We won't be shooting far but I would be confident with either if we were. We are shooting different bullets just to mix it up a bit.

Posts: 1573 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all,

I will be deer hunting in Montana this season and would like to utilize one of my 7x57's. There is a chance at a 400 yard shot but most times I choose to take shots 300 yards and under. I am trying to find a combination of pushing the velocity of a 7x57 and downrange performance. I was thinking of the 120 TSX for velocity and the high BC of the VLD. I know I could just use a 270 or 280 but I have a few rifles that need some use.

Thanks again,

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the 120 NBT. It has .416 BC and a thicker jacket than the larger ones. I'm getting 3,000 fps out of my 7mm-08 with R15.

Here is a link some sectioned bullets for comparison.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4...5916/in/photostream/

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
I'd go with the 120 NBT. It has .416 BC and a thicker jacket than the larger ones. I'm getting 3,000 fps out of my 7mm-08 with R15.

I found the 120gr BT would stay inside a 50lb deer unless a perfect broadside chest shot. Too fragile for me and I really like BTs.

It's hard to get a wrong bullet with a 7x57 if it's between 139gr and 160gr. I like the 140gr sierra prohunter at 2,800fps. With broadside shots and the possibility of 400yd shots your main issue will be ensuring expansion at 400yards not preventing blowup at 50yards (if it's a broadside deer) I'd consider the 140gr gameking, 139gr hornady btsp, 140gr BT or similar.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too fragile for me and I really like BTs.

My experience with NBT's too. Accuracy is superb but terminal perfomance is way too explosive.
quote:
I like the 140gr sierra prohunter at 2,800fps

Again, my sentiments too 'cept I prefer the 140 gr. SPBT GameKings.

I use a 7x57R for about 80% of my hunting and the difference between vanilla-flavored Cup & Core & premium bullets in this cartridge escapes me.

If you feel the need for other - great.

140 grainer Sierras or 139 gr. Hornadys are perfect for this cartridge.

Look at G-W's Chrony readings, 2300-2700 fps, right where the 7x57 does it's best work.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:

Thanks for that cross section picture. I wanted to see a cross section of an Accubond.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
At 7x57 velocity I would use what my 7-08 likes...140 grn Accubonds

I have used Accubonds now for 3 years in all of my hunting from elk to sod poodles and couldn't be happier with them.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To date, I've killed numerous whitetail and mule deer, a kudu, 2 gemsbok, a blue wildebeest, a black wildebeest, 2 warthogs, a zebra, a waterbuck, an eland, 2 moose, a red hartebeest, over 20 springbok and a couple of baboons all with the Berger 168 VLD out of my 7 RM. Almost all were killed with one shot including the eland. In the past, I've also killed a number of game with the 150 BT and the 150 NP shot out of my 7RM. The VLD kills FAR more effectively than ANY other bullet I've used. Hope this helps.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7 mm Mauser is perhaps one of the most under-rated medium sized calibers in the States. Most American hunters base their opinions of the 7 mm Mauser on using a 140 grain bullet, being the sole load ammo-manufacturers offer. Pity though, as the cartridge was actually designed for the longer 173 gr lead-core bullet, and hence its long-throated chamber design. The virtue of the caliber actually lies in shooting heavier bullets - the higher sectional density bullet at moderate velocity will perform much better on impact than lighter bullets at higher velocity.

The 160 gr Barnes TSX bullet is an ideal bullet in the 7 mm Mauser. The bullet is heavy enough to shoot larger game and the bullet does not shatter to cause meat damage as an added benefit. Since it is a Spitzer bullet, it features an excellent BC at 0.508. Copper fouling has been reduced now that the bullet has been grooved to allow room for copper flow and accuracy has been improved as well.

Interesting to just mention how the Barnes-X bullet came about ... In 1985 Randy Brooks conceived the idea of an expanding, solid copper bullet while hunting brown bears in Alaska. On returning home he began designing and testing his idea of a new bullet. A hollow nose cavity causes the revolutionary new bullet to expand into four sharp copper petals on impact, and he named it the X-Bullet after its post-impact shape."

It is perhaps pertinent to highlight another design aspect of the 7 mm Mauser versus other 7 mm cartridges:
(Throat length as per measurement G of the CIP standard)

The 2 main German/European cartridges:

7x57: 19.2 mm
7x64: 34 mm

Clearly these two cartridges have been designed to shoot longer bullets uot to 175 grains.
To stabilize these heavier bullets in the 7 mm bore, these calibers CIP specifies a twist of 8.66".

Some popular cartridges of American origin:

7mm-08: 5.24 mm
280 Rem: 4.75 mm
7mm Rem Mag: 5.11 mm
7mm Wby Mag: 15.04 mm (Part of Roy Weatherby's strategy to curtail pressure)

Clearly these cartridges have been designed to shoot relatively shorter bullets so as not to erode powder capacity, and to achieve higher velocities with lighter bullets, and the various 7 mm Magnums have bigger cases to boot as well.

The first time when the bullet weight was dropped from the original 173 gr bullet to 140 grains was by the British. The Mauser design was to launched a 173 gr roundnose bullet at about 2,300 fps. It served the Boers so well in the Anglo/Boer War that it impressed the English so much that in 1907 John Rigby & Co created their own version of the 7x57 mm Mauser by reducing the bullet weight to 140 grains, increasing the velocity to 2,800 fps, and calling it the .275 Rigby High Velocity. When chambered in Rigby rifles the cartridge was generally referred to as the .275 Rigby, and the English rifles were sighted for the 140 grain bullet. However, hunters could order rifles with two rear sight blades - for the 140 and 173 grain loads respectively.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Warrior, great info!

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting back about some differences that we should be aware of iro the 7 mm Mauser cartridge:

1. Groove Size:

The European 7 mm's, based on CIP standards, have a groove diameter of .285 (7.24 mm),
instead of .284 (7.21 mm) like the American 7 mm's - that is a difference of .003 mm.

2. Maximum Pressure:

- SAAMI - 51,000 Psi ( Source: QuickLoad)
- CIP - 56,565 Psi

This lower specification is in deference to the weaker actions of the older Mauser 93 and 95 rifles, which are still in circulation. Due to the age and metallurgical characteristics of the rifles for which it was originally designed, many of which are still functioning, most U.S. commercially manufactured 7x57 mm is loaded to lower pressures of around 49,000 psi. (Source Wikipedia)

3. Cartridge case capacity:

There is a fair amount of difference between different brands of cases with the smallest being a Federal case at 56.5 grains H2O case capacity, and Winchester being the biggest at 59.5 grains H2O case capacity due to thinner case walls, whilst other brands fall somewhere in between. Remington's case capacity is 57.2 grains.

4. Case Measurements:

Case dimensions are exactly the same for both SAAMI and CIP. The exterior shape of the case was designed to promote reliable case feeding and extraction in bolt action rifles under extreme conditions.

This means that reloaders must be aware that pressures can vary for the very same load based on the brand of case being used as well as the bullet dimensions being an American 7 mm bullet for American derived cartridges (.284") versus those that are .285".

This creates a position that many American made 7x57 rifles (Win, Rem & Ruger) are being used in South Africa and .285" sized ammo might be used in them, and conversely American ammo might be used in CIP spec'ed 7x57 rifles.

So far I have not heard or seen any problems due to cross-use, but suspect flame-cutting with an under-sized bullet over time might rear its head in the form of the lands being burnt away, resulting in shorter barrel life and waning accuracy.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warrior:

So far I have not heard or seen any problems due to cross-use, but suspect flame-cutting with an under-sized bullet over time might rear its head in the form of the lands being burnt away, resulting in shorter barrel life and waning accuracy.Warrior

Confused If the bullet engages the rifling and a large percentage of it is still in the neck wouldn't you be led to believe that the bullet's dia. would swell and fill the grooves prior to the gas reaching the rifling ? We are only looking at .001" here.Of course I can't prove this but I envision it as a real possibility. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I have to ask the question: Why throat a rifle so long? 19.2 mm on the 7x57 vs. 5.24mm of the 7-08?

generally speaking, these things do not happen without reason. Was the 19.2 throat due to the Mauser being a military cartridge and therefore the long throat had something to do with reliability on muddy battlefields? Were the old steel jacketed bullets just that much longer? Perhaps it was designed that way to help maintain accuracy longer by having a portion of the barrel already "worn out"?

Seriously, I'm just curious here. These things generally don't happen in a vacuum, hence the question.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post

This is my 7x57 built by Clayton Nelson basically to shoot 175gr Nosler Partitions which it does with under 1/2" for 3 shots. Starts to climb as the barrel heats as the barrel is rather thin with a pretty steep taper. Had no trouble on Kudu out to 300yds and I don't shoot any further than that with anything. I'm not very good at judging distance and even poorer at judging wind.I was most pleased with it as a plains game rifle in Zimbabwe.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TSX

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Dont discount the 120gn GS Custom. I get 3235fps from my MAB Barrelled 1908 and excellent accuracy. Long bullet and works well in my 1 in 9 twist as doess the 160gn Woodleigh at 2700fps.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a semi custom 7x57 with a medium contour Shillen barrel and it shoots a load out of the Barnes manual with 50gr of Reloder 19 exceptionally well with the 140gr TSX bullets. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
I have to ask the question: Why throat a rifle so long? 19.2 mm on the 7x57 vs. 5.24mm of the 7-08?

generally speaking, these things do not happen without reason. Was the 19.2 throat due to the Mauser being a military cartridge and therefore the long throat had something to do with reliability on muddy battlefields? Were the old steel jacketed bullets just that much longer? Perhaps it was designed that way to help maintain accuracy longer by having a portion of the barrel already "worn out"?

Seriously, I'm just curious here. These things generally don't happen in a vacuum, hence the question.

It's actually quite simple. The original load for the 7x57 used a 173 to 175 grain bullet which kind of stuck way out there, thus the very long throat. Has nothing to do with muddy chambers or cartridges. The long jump to the rifling by a 140 gr. bullet may or may not affect accuracy. My three 7x57 rifles have the standard long throat and two are sub-MOA with 140 and 145 gr. bullets. The Ruger #1A on the other handhas only shot 1.5" at best with the light weight bullets. I haven't tried a 175 gr. bullet in it yet. Just too many projects ahead of it.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote