Find
Notify
Tools

Needs and wants
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted
Guys, In an earlier thread I posted my 4 choices that I use most often.

220 Swift
270 Win
30-06
375 H&H

But I keep having this feeling of NEED for something to fill it all in. Like a 257 Roberts/25-06 and a 7x57. What's your opinions?
A lot of duplication?

Thanks
Aaron

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau

Posts: 135 | Location: Hurricane Alley North Carolina | Registered: 26 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
With the 25-06 & the 30'06, you do not need the 270.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carolina Man:

220 Swift
270 Win
30-06
375 H&H

But I keep having this feeling of NEED for something to fill it all in. Like a 257 Roberts/25-06 and a 7x57. What's your opinions?
A lot of duplication?

Thanks
Aaron

Chances are you have more than one set of black socks,or more than one white tee shirt, a lot of duplication? jumping

I currently have reloading dies for 59 different chamberings in my posession, from 17 ackley hornet to 458 Lott, and have/have had center fire rifles and pistols to match at one time or another, so I'm probably not the one to ask about need. However it is constantly my contention that I'm just one rifle away from being happy.

With that being said, I don't think you can go wrong with buying rifles in most any chambering as long as you buy them right.
A 250 Savage is a mild round that your kids or your wife, or even yourself can enjoy. Load it up with 100 gr. partitions and you've got a deer and hog killer. A 257 bob, 110 gr accubonds kills said game DRT. A 25-06 is flat shooting but has a little more recoil. A 257 roy with a 100 gr. partition at 3,650 fps kills like the hammer of Thor, but can tend toward blood shot meat. A 7 x 57 or a 7-08 with 140 gr accubonds at 2700 to 2800 fps also kills deer and hogs DRT. At 100 yds plus, very little blood shot meat, mild recoil.
I'd say get at least one of each. Don't try to get 257 roy velocities out of your 250 Savage, or 7 mag velocities out of your 7 x 57. Enjoy them for what they are. Buy em right and blow them out for a profit when the time comes. Better than buying depreciating assets on time. Also you can convert a rifle into cash in about 15 minutes
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need a 257 Roberts!

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Yep! 257 Roberts!

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YOu need a 257 roberts preferably the improved version.

Get a 7x57 as well they are nifty little guns and I love mine.

I am like Gbud above I roload 44 different calibers so I am not really tyeh one to ask either.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1057 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Yes a .257 Roberts is more than a want you need one.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Need and wants should never be confused. We use "needs" to justify "wants". Get what you want!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
6.5 X 55

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I "need" to buy another gun safe because I "want" to buy more guns and the one I have now is full.

Smiler

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
For your “needs” I say .260 rem or 6.5x55. It’s easier to find a good rifle in these calibres than a 257 Rob. plus there are a lot of good bullets available in 6.5mm ranging from varmint to big game not to mention the vast collection of match bullets.

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say a 257 Weatherby would fit in well as a long-distance round, but I see you're in NC, so maybe don't need the LR capabilities. I just picked up a 250 Savage just for a light, fun Deer rifle, but 260 Rem and 6.5x55 are great rounds as well.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
Suprising enough there is a lot of Long Range shooting down here. We call them "Bean Rifles" made for shootin across the Soybean fields down this way.

Aaron

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau

Posts: 135 | Location: Hurricane Alley North Carolina | Registered: 26 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

With the 270, you don't need the 25-06 or 30-06

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clem:
I "need" to buy another gun safe because I "want" to buy more guns and the one I have now is full.

Smiler

Clem
Very nicely said.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Biebs,
Suprising enough there is a lot of Long Range shooting down here.

The 257 Wby gets my vote. Easy to shoot, accurate in the right rifle, and with 110gr Accubonds, plenty of energy WAY out there.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thought is to go in another direction...big, slow, and handy. You folks get some big Black Bears down your way. How about a Guide gun in 45-70, or a Wild West version in 457 WW Mag or 50 Alaskan?

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I think I must be related somehow to the late O.F. Winchester's late wife....she of the San Jose, Calif. Winchester Mystery House fame.

Apparently she was convinced that as long as she kept building (adding on to) her home, she wouldn't die.

I feel the same way in respect of adding to my number of guns. So far it is working...... old

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted Hide Post
AC,
A great idea. I believe I may have to try that.

Aaron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need a .257 Roberts and a 6.5 of some sorts.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Nelson:
You need a .257 Roberts and a 6.5 of some sorts.

tu2

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sactoller
posted Hide Post
My wants are turning into my needs...funny how that is! Big Grin

.350 Rigby Rimless Magnum - 1909
275 Rigby - 1909
6.5x57 - 1909
8x57 - 1908

It is a sickness...damn, I love it!

Jason Z Alberts

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you." – Samuel Adams

Posts: 347 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

220 Swift
270 Win
30-06
375 H&H

A lot of duplication?

Thanks
Aaron

All pretty common, why don't you go for something exotic? How about the 7X61 Sharpe & Heart? Here is what P.O. Ackley has to say about it:

This is another short 7mm Magnum made by necking down and shortening .300 H&H Magnum brass. Recently factory cases and loaded ammunition has been made available. This ammunition is manufactured by Norma and is loaded with a 160 gr. bullet to about 3100 fs. Long experience has proven that it is difficult to drive a 160 gr. bullet in 7mrn faster than 3100 fs despite the claims of advocates or originators of various versions of the 7mm Magnum. This also applies to the.270Magnum family of cartridges. The 7x61 S&H is very similar to the original .275 H&H Magnum which is still manufactured in England. Because of the availability of formed cases and loaded ammunition the 7x61 could be said to be more practical than most of the other 7mm Magnums. Other than this, there is nothing to recommend it over similar versions some of which are probably better designed.

- P.O. Ackley's Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders, 1962

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted Hide Post
Ron,
I think if I wanted one of the 7 Mag's I'd go with a 7MM STW or the wildcat 7MM Super Mashburn or such. Or I could go back too one of my favorities, a 300 H&H. Put that one together with my 375 H&H and do it all with those two.
Thanks for suggestion though. Haven't seen much of the Sharpe & Hart in a long time.
The perfect 4 gun battery.
22lr
300 H&H
375 H&H
12 ga.

No NEED for anymore. But takes all the fun out of it.

Anyone need a 458 Win or a 458 Lott?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ron,
I think if I wanted one of the 7 Mag's I'd go with a 7MM STW or the wildcat 7MM Super Mashburn or such. Or I could go back too one of my favorities, a 300 H&H. Put that one together with my 375 H&H and do it all with those two.
Thanks for suggestion though. Haven't seen much of the Sharpe & Hart in a long time.
The perfect 4 gun battery.
22lr
300 H&H
375 H&H
12 ga.

No NEED for anymore. But takes all the fun out of it.

Anyone need a 458 Win or a 458 Lott?

With those 4 I would add a .54 Hawken but otherwise you are pretty well covered. tu2

When I lived in NC I had a 7mm Weatherby that I wish I still had, if I got another 7mm I would go that route.

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd say the opposite. That with a 270 you absolutely don't need the 25-06. There is NOTHING that the 25-06 can do at any velocity or bullet weight that the 270 cannot do.

If there is any "gap" I'd say that a 6mm Remington will fill it in. It will make a good all-around rifle that will perform the roles of your Swift and 25-06.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With those 4 chamberings these is nothing more that you "need". But if you bills are paid, retirement is funded, and it's not going on the plastic, well, then go buy the new gun you want. Heck, buy two. You didn't mention a shotgun or pistol.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Aaron, looking at your current line-up, I'd say needs and wants have little to do with it - your situation is DIRE! You've got some serious gaps that HAVE to be filled.

17 Fireball
221 Fireball
204 Ruger

6mm Rem
250 Sav
257 Rob
6.5X55

7X57

338-06
35 Whelen
9.3X62

416 Rigby
404 Jeffery
458 Lott

Get busy, time's a wastin'...

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote