New
Find
Notify
Tools

how do you tell the difference?
 Login/Join

<David Boren>
posted
What are the visible differences between milled reciever and stamped recever AK/MAK 90's? My uncle has an Norico MAK 90. Perfect codition. Wood thumbhole stock, no threads on the barrel, and no bayonet lug. I want to know how to disguish the difference between the two types of recievers. Like, does one have a certain number of pins compared to the other, or some shape of the magazine port, or length/angle of the handle screw. I just want some charactoristics that would help tell them apart. Any help would be appreiacted.

<David Boren>
posted
Anyone?

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I think you'll have better luck posting this in the military firearms forum. I've never owened or shot an AK, so can't help you.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<BarryH>
posted
Dave,
I don't know anything about MAK 90s, but as far as AKs go, the old Milled recievers are very rare. When old Avtomat designed his rifle, it was all machined. Shortly after it was adopted by the Soviet military, they realized it would be far to expensive and far too much time too use machined parts. So they re-designed to stampings. This was in the late 40's. I have only seen one machined AK-47 (while in the military), everything else I have seen are stamped AKMs.
If you saw one, it wouldn't be hard to tell the difference. The machined cuts are sharp and precise (for Soviet standards [Wink] ) The stampings.... are just that. Rounded edges and crinkled corners...etc.

I highly doubt anything on the surplus market today is made of all machined parts. But, I could be wrong, (just ask my wife [Big Grin] ) .

Hope this helps.

Barry

[ 10-19-2002, 05:02: Message edited by: BarryH ]

<David Boren>
posted
Its just that they seem popular enough to warrent stock manufactorers and accessories to ask/make a model for each, if you have a milled or stamped reciever. I was guessing that some the of the "new-production" civilian versions came in milled reciever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fellow Montana,

Go to the AR15.com Forums, and click on the link to the AK47 forums, all you will EVER want to know about AK's.

I have no idea either on milled or stamped, not an AK guy. I'm already addicted to Colt's "Black Rifles" and don't need an AK.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote