Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping Rifles......
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
What is the best way for a non-ffl holder to ship a rifle?

What about a non-ffl holder recieving a rifle?

Can a rifle be sent to your door (UPS, USPS, FED-EX)?

I've alway prefered the "Hands-On" Method of buying firearms but, I've often thought about buying some off of the net.

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Legally, no, you can only personaly send & receive a firearm for work or repair. Buying & sending through a common carrier, w/o an FFL, is verbotten. Frowner

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
non-FFL cannot receive a rifle via mail from a difference state.

non-FFL can ship to FFL in another state, but some FFL will (because of their own personal policy) not receive shipments from non-FFL holders, despite the fact that it is BATF legal.

Technically, UPS has a policy against a non-FFL holder shipping for purposes of a transfer. They will ship for gunsmith work (like a barrel job).

USPS will allow a non-FFL holder to ship a long gun, but not a handgun, but it must be packaged in a very particular way.

I've forgotten the FEDEX rules...

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I figured USPS was the best way.

There is a local guy here that just charges $10 to transfer a gun so, If I buy I'll probably just go that route and have em' ship it to him.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
For only $10, I'd go that route. Saves a few potential headaches and is unquestionably legal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
Legally, no, you can only personaly send & receive a firearm for work or repair. Buying & sending through a common carrier, w/o an FFL, is verbotten. Frowner

Incorrect. As long as STATE law does not prohibit private sales (most), you CAN mail a long gun to the buyer as long as he is in the same state you are in.

IF the buyer is in another state, the firearm must go to an FFL at the receiving state, who then makes the transfer to the new owner.\

It's all in the ATF's FAQs.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Go here, read it......yes you can mail a long gun to an FFL out of State.

Shipping Guns Link

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote