THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    270 win. Barnes TSX or Berger for elk
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 win. Barnes TSX or Berger for elk
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings all,
New to the site. As you can see in the heading. I am looking for advice from folks that have used these. I have a good load with the Bergers but not sure I trust that kind of bullet on the big one.
Thanks,
Shane

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only use barnes in my hunting loads. This year I shot a nice 58" bull moose at 256 yards with my 338-06. One went right though and the only one I found on the oppsite hide. Perfect half inch mushroom and a very dead moose. this is the only barnes I have recover. I have shot black bear, dall sheep, and caribou with this load.

Posts: 89 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might use the Bergers for Elk in a .338 Win Mag, but with a .270, I'd stick with the 150gr Partition.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken 12 animals in Africa and numerous in Canada with the 150 grain Nosler Partition. It has always been excellent.

Hugh

Posts: 106 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 27 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a fair amount of elk with my 270 and a Barnes bullet, since I started using Barnes in 1992. The TSX or TTSX is very deadly and very accurate. The 130gr Barnes is more than enough for elk.

I used to use the 150gr Partition, without a failure of any kind, but the Barnes just kills them faster.

I've no on-game experience with a Berger.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Barnes. The 270 is sufficient for elk, but not by much. You need the performance of a Barnes or Nosler to use this caliber on big bulls. I've shot several with both Noslers and Barnes, and prefer the Barnes in the 270. Bergers may shoot well, but they are really not designed to perform on big game.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
try a few loads and pick the most accurate.

Barnes 140 grain TSX has a good BC
Barnes 130 grain TTSX has almost as good a BC
Nosler 130 E-tip has the best BC of the lot.

Again, test all three and go with the most accurate, if 1/4" or better than the rest.
Go with the best BC if accuracy is similar.

Enjoy the hunt.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
I don't know how the berger will do on elk, but you won't have to wonder with the TSX. It comes down to a matter of risk. The TSX is tried and true. The Berger will probably work most of the time. Your call.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:

I used to use the 150gr Partition, without a failure of any kind, but the Barnes just kills them faster.

I doubt it. IME, and I've used Barnes for 20 years, the Partition has consistently dropped stuff faster, particularly with a lung shot. The Partition has the Shrapnel Effect, the Barnes does not.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 270 is sufficient for elk, but not by much.

Nonsense.

posted Hide Post
I am leaning toward the Barnes. I have to do some load development though. I have a great 1/4 in load with the 150 gr Berger and have great confidence in the accuracy out to about 600 yds, which is pushing the limits of the 270 though.
Shane

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
quote:
The 270 is sufficient for elk, but not by much.

Nonsense.

Remember now Brad.....elk are .270 proof

Now add .008 and call it a 7 and it's like magic

I know better

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
New Nosler .277 150g Accubond Long Range looks like my new elk bullet ... I've used the 150g Partitions for a long time with great success, but I'm just going to have to try these ...

http://www.nosler.com/bullets/accubond.aspx

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4733 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Barnes bullets for a few years now, hunting here in the U.S., exotics in Texas and African plains game. I have been more than happy with their performance and reach for the Barnes bullets before anything else. I was a Partition guy but have switched due to the penetration offered by the Barnes.

If I were you, I would select the Tipped TSX version over the TSX to ensure bullet expansion at nominal 270 velocities, especially when distance is involved.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes without a doubt, TSX or TTSX. Whichever suits your fancy.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Though the OP didn't ask, I'd use a Partition, Accubond, or Ballistic Tip over either bullets asked about.

I've used all three, including both the Partition and Ballistic Tip in the 270 Win on elk.

Have had a TTSX not open on elk... I'm not a fan. Have seen the Berger used, though not enough to form a strong opinion, but I'd not use them with the tried and true Noslers available.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have had a TTSX not open on elk... I'm not a fan. Have seen the Berger used, though not enough to form a strong opinion, but I'd not use them with the tried and true Noslers available.

Hey, I've had a .416 TSX 350 grain keyhole on a sight-in target. Bad bullet (undersize or long), too-slow twist? No. "Invisible" twig in the African bush.

A question that I do have concerns the recent foray of Nosler into monolithic land. Their E-tips are sleek and show higher BC's than the Barnes TTSX's with cut grooves. But will the Nosler bullets produced extra fouling? The Barnes bullets came out over twenty years ago sleek and smooth, but complaints about pressures and fouling eventually led to the cut band design. Is Nosler doing something different? Does their alloy resist fouling? Or will we see some kind of driving-band/cut-band "innovation" in five years?

Meanwhile, I'm testing the 130 gn E-tip in 270 and 90 gn E-tip in a new 243. I'll have Barnes copper solvent at the bench during break-in of the 243.

Right now in the 270, both the 130 TSX and 140 TSX have some decent accuracy standards for the E-Tip to challenge.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been killing game with the 168 Berger out of my 7RM for 4 years. I've killed plenty of deer, a couple of moose and an assortment of African PG animals. Almost all died with one shot, including a running eland bull that was shot at 100 yards quartering away.

While some consider only the Barnes and not the Berger a premium bullet, I don't. Although I have no firsthand experience with the Barnes, I've heard numerous stories of failed expansion. No doubt some of it true, some of it BS. I've heard stories of Bergers 'blowing up' and not penetrating. Based on my personal experience of killing maybe 50 animals with the Berger, I'd say those stories are pure BS.

From my personal experience, the Berger kills as well, or better, than any other bullets I've tried.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I'm a Partition fan... this year's bull, 150 NP from my 270 Win:

One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
Nice bull elk.....CONGRATS!

I like the performance of 140gr Accubonds reloads in my 270WSM on elk, moose, deer and bears here in Alberta. I think this would be just fine for your 270Win. I had 140 TSX's to try but traded them for more AB's.

We have one guy in our moose campp group that shoots 140gr AB's in his 270Win....works for him.

The 140 TSX would be no slouch either.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDhunter:
Barnes without a doubt, TSX or TTSX. Whichever suits your fancy.

Amen, my vote too.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I doubt it. IME, and I've used Barnes for 20 years

No need to doubt it, Brad. That Barnes kills them quicker has been my experience since 1992 when I started using Barnes X, and, as mentioned, I used the 150gr Partition since my 1st big game hunt in 1970.

Nice bull, by the way. Can you elaborate on the shot placement, distance, etc.?

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nice looking animal. I bet those backstraps taste pretty good.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hogsjl:
Nice looking animal. I bet those backstraps taste pretty good.

That's about the only thing tasty on him... 8.5+ year old bull... he's kinda tough!

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Use the TSX or the NP's ar a premium bullet. Use the bergers for steel or targets.

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by POP:
Use the TSX or the NP's ar a premium bullet. Use the bergers for steel or targets.

My experience with the NP's is they're more consistent than the Barnes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've never used any barnes or berger bullets, but i have used 150gr partitions out of a 270 win for years, and never had any problems. while i assume the barnes would do fine, i know the partitions are more than adequate for the task. if you believe you must use the barnes or bergers, so be it, but you might also consider the partitions. they have been at the top for a long time, for very good reason. whichever you select, good luck on your elk hunt.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of elkslayer4x5
posted Hide Post
The Hornady 140 gr SST kind of stands out in its exclusion from this discussion. Was it just forgotten, or is it not 'in the running'? I'm shooting 140 gr Interlocks in my .270 win now and really like its performance, and am thinking of trying the SSTs. Any input on this bullet?

skin that one out, and I'll get ya another

Posts: 44 | Location: Lane county, Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
and am thinking of trying the SSTs. Any input on this bullet?

SSTs are considerably more fragile, especially at a higher velocity and should be used with caution on bigger animals.
I use the 140 gr Accubonds and Ballistic Tips and on mid-sized antelope (whitetail sized) and notice that the BTs are more fragile.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
How do the North Fork bullets compare to the TSX and Partition/Accubond? I am looking to work up a load for a 22" .270WCF and want something that can handle elk. Does everyone stick with the 150's or use the premium 130?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Everything I've heard and seen on North Fork has been excellent.

Nevertheless, as a lead-core bullet, one would probably elect for the 150gn in North Fork,
while the Barnes can drop down a step in weight and probably equal the penetration.

If I were going to hunt elk with a 270 I would probably choose the 129gn LRX. It is essentially a 130grain, allowing better velocity, and with an excellent BC and ogive.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby B.:
I've been killing game with the 168 Berger out of my 7RM for 4 years. I've killed plenty of deer, a couple of moose and an assortment of African PG animals. Almost all died with one shot, including a running eland bull that was shot at 100 yards quartering away.

While some consider only the Barnes and not the Berger a premium bullet, I don't. Although I have no firsthand experience with the Barnes, I've heard numerous stories of failed expansion. No doubt some of it true, some of it BS. I've heard stories of Bergers 'blowing up' and not penetrating. Based on my personal experience of killing maybe 50 animals with the Berger, I'd say those stories are pure BS.

From my personal experience, the Berger kills as well, or better, than any other bullets I've tried.

Bobby B.

Me too Bobby. That 168 Berger at 2950 has killed everything from a 14' croc to 30 lb javelinas.

They are about the most accurate non custom bullet you can buy. The most important thing is the bullet hitting a vital spot. And once the Bergers get in the chest cavity the destruction is just awesome.

I love Barnes in .375 and up, but smaller stuff especially when distance can be a factor, burgers are my go to.

The last elk I killed was at 540 yards, quartering to, the heart and lungs where pulp and the bull never took a step.

Smaller animals like deer and such, you can lose a bunch of meat on shoulder shots, so I either tuck in behind the shoulder or shoot them in the neck.

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If extreme ranges are on the docket....I may (repeat - MAY)consider the Berger. For all other hunting on big game (especially elk sized game)...the 140 TSX.
Most hunters are not capable, or due to circumstances, able place the “surgically precise” shot! At extreme ranges, many things can happen between the time the brain tells the finger to “pull” the trigger, and the bullets arrival at the target....most are not good!
So....I guess the Berger is out of the equation! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most hunters are not capable, or due to circumstances, able place the “surgically precise” shot! At extreme ranges, many things can happen between the time the brain tells the finger to “pull” the trigger, and the bullets arrival at the target....most are not good!

One has to know what extreme range is.

I am taking a big woods deer hunter to Montana this fall. I don't think he has shot past a 100 yards even in practice.

That is until I finely got him out on the range he always sighted in is 06 dead on that 50 yards. He is a good shot but just never had the need to shoot out past a 100 yards.

So we sighted it to be dead on at 200 yards 9 inches low at 300 yards.

He is shooting duplex 3x9 I told him to try the top of the bottom post at 300 yards.

By my calculations with his load it should be really close.

His first shot shooting at a 2 inch bull was about 3 inches high the next two were touching the bottom of the 2 inch dot.

He never fired at 300 yards before. 3 easy kill shots with just a little knowledge.

He looked at the group with just a little amazement.

I then had him fire off the sticks and off his bi-pod from 200 to 100 all his shots hit the 2 inch orange bull.

He told me looking out to 300 that is a long ways.

I said in northern Wis your right, but out in the prairies where one can see for miles its good to be able to shoot and hit at 300.

Or ever farther is needed.

Posts: 19398 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any bullet will kill a elk under the right circumstances, the claims of what works are wild.

I would opt for the Barnes X bullet simply because Berger claims there bullets penetrate
5 inches the come apart like a bomb...That's exactly not what I want in a hunting bullet, and is considered a failed bullet with all others? How can that be!!

The Barnes X is very popular and highly proven by all the experts. its designed to mushroom and penetrate and has a large following world wide...

Actually I prefer Noslers Accubonds and partitions, GS Customs. and Woodleighs. but that's a choice we are allowed in the good old USA..

I have had such perfect results with the Accubonds as to accuracy and perfect kills with the 30-06 and 338 on mostly deer and elk, that Ive used littlel else in the last 4 or 5 years. Its performance is just like a partitions but its a more accurate and flatter shooting bullet or so it seems to me.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have three go to bullets for my 270 WSM’s. 130 grain Northforks at 3450 fps, 140 grain Barnes TSX at 3200 fps, 160 grain Nosler Partitions at 2950 fps. All will do the job on Elk provided the shooter does their part with placement. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
phurley -- have you ever recovered any of these 3 bullets from elk or have they been pass throughs?

The 270 WSM is a wicked round. I owned one in a Winchester Featherweight? That rifle was almost neck and neck with my 300rum CDL in recoil.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Hogsjl as you have seen from your question, even though you specified two brands of bullets, yoiu are going to get suggestions on pretty much everything but the bullets you asked about, up to and including the .270 being "Marginal" on elk.

My personal choice is the Barnes bullets but my advice is to work with both and see which one your rifle shoots best.

After you figure that out, work with the gun and get to where you can place your shots where they need to go to have the most effect.

Good Luck.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only bullet I recovered from my 270 WSM’s was the 160 grain Nosler Partition. It nearly traversed the Bull from front to back, going in between the shoulder and neck and recovered trying to exit a ham. Perfect mushroom and and a bang flop kill. The WSM is the smallest chambering I have taken Elk with. I also have taken Elk with 300 Winny, .340 Wby, .338 Lapua, and .358 STA. I prefer the larger stuff but with good bullet placement many smaller chamberings will do the job. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a number of recovered Nosler most are from close range shots and the bullet expanded widely as expected since the faster the bullet the more resistance at high velocity it meets, all are pretty mushrooms, Out at 300 to 400 yards you get about 50% pass throughs, but again it depends on the angle..Pass throughs or not seems to make little difference with either the partition or the bonded core Accubonds..Great bullets in all the calibers I ve used them in, mostly in my .338 and 30-06, a few in my 7x57 and 9.3x62..All were very acceptable.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote