Find
Notify
Tools

300 black out for as platform
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted
I have a friend that is looking for a hog round in the ar 15 platform. Any one got any ideals?

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Just about anythign that is loaded for the AR15.

I've killed many a hog with the 223. Want larger then the 6.5Grendel (264LBC) 7.62x35, 458 Socon, 50 Beowolf etc.

Just about anything the AR 15 is chambered in will take a hog.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Medium Bore: 6.8 SPC, 30 Rem AR, 6.5 Grendel, 243 WSSM, 25 WSSM, 30 OSSM

Big Bore/Thumpers: 50 Beowulf, 450 bushmaster, 458 Socom

I have a 458 Socom and a 25 WSSM. The 458 is legal for deer in Indiana, and shoots a 300gr Hornady SST at about 2000 fps with a good handload. The 25 WSSM performs about on par with a 25-06. Both are very fun.

Although you can't beat the 223 for cheap fun. I personally don't consider it adequate for hogs, but as with many things, that is simply my opinion.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.8 loaded with an appropriate projectile has been very successful on piggies. I would suggest you check out: http://68forums.com/forums/forum.php

Lots of knowledge there abt the right structure for an SPC II rifle and how to feed it.

There is less experience with the .300 WTF (Whisper, 300/221, BLK) but there is some.

The critical element in making the decision between the two is probably whether or not you want to suppress the rifle.

I have both ... and the suppressor awaits an approved Form 4 for delivery.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
What's an AR15 platform? fishing

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's an AR15 platform?

For 15 meter Olympic Tandem Diving.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The AR-15/M-16 is not looked at by the military as a simple, single configuration rifle. In mils Cool Cool peak the M-16/AR-15 is a "platform" for delivering ordnance (in this case bullets and 40mm grenades) from a large menu depending on the specific need in a given operation.

This is similar to my old, beloved F-16. The F-16 is a highly maneuverable and fast moving airborne "weapons platform" ( Air to Ground Missiles, Air to Air Missiles, rockets, plain gravity bombs - usually 500# or 2,000#, JDAMS, 20mm canon fire, etc.)

Back to the AR-15/M-16 "platform" concept. Do you want to blow off a sentry's head without alerting the whole neighborhood? Use the above mentioned 300 Whisper/300-221/300 AAC BLK. Need to make chest shots at 750 meters with minimal "signatures" to identify you to the enemy? Use a 6.5 Grendel in a longer barrel (24" for a static position, 20" for mobility) with a 6.5/6.8mm suppressor. Need a sniper rifle with moderate legs and one shot splat capability in a dynamic (moving around a lot) environment, and one that may be called on to be a battle rifle as well? Use an accurized and hardened version of the AR-10/KAC-25. Need to blow the door off its hinges and turn the fatal funnel around so it faces 180 degrees from its initial orientation? Get a beefy (milled out receivers with thick walls) AR-15 and use 450 Bushmaster/458 SOCOM/50 Beowulf. Need a relatively lightweight "recce" (recon) rifle for what were formerly called Delta troops who need to cover a large distance and need to save weight for water? Mid-weight 16" M-16 with CTR stock and minimum weight forend filled with M262 MOD1.

Pretty simple concept, milspeak wise Cool .

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
It's still a rifle, rather than a platform.

Flippin' silly "tacktickool speak" gibberish. Cool

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I ask for a recommendation oc cal. for shooting piggs. Not you opinion on todays lingo in the guin world!

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I was a navy diver because my typing sucks

1 shot 1 thrill

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdvjrp93:
I ask for a recommendation oc cal. for shooting piggs. Not you opinion on todays lingo in the guin world!

It's tough out here in the world of free speech isn't it? Roll Eyes