New
Find
Notify
Tools

270/308?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone heard of this wildcat? Just curious, since I just bought a shilen SS barrel and set of RCBS dies from E-bay, for Savage 110. Hard to go wrong for $50 -- if I don't like it, it will become a 270 WSM. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
That one may have come out before the 7m-08. I fellow target shooter made one up in the 50's as I recall. It should shoot very well if it's made right.

If you want a WSM it's best to buy one as the bolt face and magazine is a lot different.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Todd,

I had a .270/08 a bunch of years ago. I picked it up in a gun show swap. It was a nice rifle, built by Texas gunmaker Cecil Weems. It was essentially identical to the 7mm/08, just as the .270 Win and .280 Rem are basically identical in performance. I kept it a couple years, used it little, and swapped it to something, I can't remember what.

Tom

Posts: 48 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Darn Todd, you got a good deal! I'm sure it will be a nice cartridge.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSF,

This is one of the few good deals of my life with regard to firearms. It's about damn time!

Jeffe has been kind enough to send me some load data, and I will start with RL-15 and the Combined Tech Moly 130 BT's, hoping to find a decent load. I am probably going to need a new stock, as this barrel is heavier than the original 243 on the Savage -- that's ok though, a little something to play with over the winter. A little cumbersome for a switch barrel is all.

I may even take this deer hunting, as there are some spots in the Upper Penninsula where you could have a 200 - 300 yard view overlooking a field.

Thanks to all who responded.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the 270 WSM myself.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote