New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x57mm vs 6.5x55mm Which One?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which is a better round the 6.5x57 or 6.5x55 and please qualify your answer....thanks.

Posts: 224 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldThere really isn't a whole lot of difference in performance between the two. If you reload,however , the 6.5X55 cases are more readily available.
Frowner There's hitch in that rig in that American made 6.5X55 cases are under size.
The euro cases are to spec.
Confused Why ? ;you say. I don't have the foggiest. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6 of 1, half dozen of the other. What's your definition of "better" ? I'd go 6x55, ammo/brass being readily available.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Depends. One nice thing about the 6.5X57 is brass can be made from a lot of different cases that are easy to get. For instance 7X57 or even 06. Not so with the old Sweede. Different head dimensions. Are you buying or building?

Posts: 10145 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
A friend has a Sauer 202 9.3x62, which came with a 6.5x57 barrel. He found the 6.5 ammo so hard to source he got them to exchange it for a 6.5x55 barrel. He's been happy since because so many Swedish military-surplus rifles came here 20 or 30 years ago.

Posts: 4983 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I have to go along with better ammo availabity for the 6.5x55. Even though cases can be made easier for the 6.5x57 with its more common head size you will also more than likely need to do exactly that. I haven't found cases and loaded ammo particularly hard to find for the 6.5x55 that I've had for 20+ years.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2797 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I used factory ammunition, which I don't, as a rule, I would have to go with the 6.5X55, although I consider the 6.5X55 case an aberration. I have several 6.5X57's, which cheerfully accept ammunition made from 7X57 cases, which I have in abundance. The only 6.5X55 I own at the present is a Schulz & Larsen free rifle, which I no longer shoot, since problems with my right eye preclude my shooting from the right shoulder. Ironically, I have several 100 round boxes of 6.5X55 Lapua brass, bought to feed the free rifle, and nothing to shoot them in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 6.5 X 57.
but that's mostly because I also have the 25-6m-7m-30-and 8mm versions.
Hornady has data under the 6.5 X 257 designation.
I used 6.5X55 data to get started and ended up where Hornady was anyway.

if I were forced to have to buy ammo I would go with the X55 version.

Posts: 4985 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a BRNO 21 in 6.5x57mm haven’t shot it yet. Haven’t decided if I’m going to leave it alone or send it to Duane Wiebe for some work......don’t care much for the butter knife bolt handle. And thinking I could have a new barrel put on it too, etc. I have reloading dies and brass for both the 6.5x55 and 6.5x57.

I had actually planned to build a 6.5x55 and then ran across this 6.5x57 and was wondering if one was better than the other.

Is one better from a ballistic standpoint?

Posts: 224 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
This buck from this morning found the ballistics of the 6.5x55 completely adequate. Rifle was one of the Lipsey limited edition Ruger Africans. Ammunition was Norma 156 grain Oryx.

Mike

Posts: 21272 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Holy moly. That is an awesome deer. Well done mike.

Definitely 6.5X55.

If I had a light drilling, I would pick a 6.5X57R paired with a classic German 16 bore I suppose

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I don’t reload, so as has already been mentioned, it’s the 6.5x55 for me. Unlike the ‘55, I don’t think I’ve ever even seen 6.5x57 ammo for sale.

Congrats Mike on a beautiful buck!!

Like Mike, I bought a Ruger African 6.5x55, and plan to use it this year for my next Antelope tag. I also bought a Ruger No. 1 SS/wood I’d like to use some day. I am most excited however, to see my AHR CZ 6.5x55 #3 package from Wayne, which he said will be ready in about a month. My hope is to take a three rifle battery back to Africa in 404 Jeffery, 9.3x62, & 6.5x55.

Zambia is calling again...

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Graf has brass.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/73809

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grafs also sells PPU ammo, although it is only the 139 gr SP.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There have been comments on this forum that a
6.5 140 premium will perform like a 160 standard !

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Guess it sucks not to live in the good old USA Big Grin

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
I have rifles in both calibers and must say unless one has access to very expensive and relatively rare German brass or ammo the 6.5 x 57 is dead in the water for the majority of North American shooters. The 6.5x55 not so much. Even 7x57 brass has become scarce!

That's true, I have to actively LOOK for 7X57 anymore. To me, that begs the question how much longer will 6.5X55 be available? Especially with the onslaught of cartridges like the creedmore. Once 6.5X55 brass becomes unavailable, what can be done to work around it? Confused

Posts: 10145 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
oldThere really isn't a whole lot of difference in performance between the two. If you reload,however , the 6.5X55 cases are more readily available.
Frowner There's hitch in that rig in that American made 6.5X55 cases are under size.
The euro cases are to spec.
Confused Why ? ;you say. I don't have the foggiest. beerroger

In my experience, all American made cases are undersize, including 30-06.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
For the least drama, the 260 Rem.

Posts: 17136 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . the 6.5x55 has only been around for more than 125 years . . . somehow I doubt that the chambering is going to become obsolete any time soon.

Mike

Posts: 21272 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5 creedmoor sofa

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike nice buck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
6.5 creedmoor sofa

Mike

I have a beautiful little 6.5 Creedmoor that Duane Wiebe built on a Kurz action...... just trying to decide what to do with the Brno 21 in 6.5x57. I guess I’ll just leave it alone for the time being.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_TX:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
6.5 creedmoor sofa

Mike

I have a beautiful little 6.5 Creedmoor that Duane Wiebe built on a Kurz action...... just trying to decide what to do with the Brno 21 in 6.5x57. I guess I’ll just leave it alone for the time being.

+1

Good taste in 6.5 and custom gun builders.

I just like the fact the 6.5 creedmoor has made 6.5 ammo available at academy.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Once a 6.5 mm projectile leaves a barrel at a given Mv and rate of spin, what was behind it in the chamber is irrelevant.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
Once a 6.5 mm projectile leaves a barrel at a given Mv and rate of spin, what was behind it in the chamber is irrelevant.

Exactly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ammo availability if you don't reload otherwise if you do reload and have 100 or 200 cases that should last you a long time.

Indeed if you can find 200 loaded cartridges, that should last a while as well.

They both do pretty much the same thing.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ballistically it's splitting hairs. I'd take either in a heartbeat but, I reload in a rather serious manner.

If the Brno is pre or immediately post war the last thing I'd be doing is altering the rifle unless it's been severely altered already. If it's original sell it to someone who will keep it original and buy something else to hack up. Those old rifles are becoming more scarce every day.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Alf,

quote:
also variations seen in wounding effects with close up shots fired from the same weapon using same lot of ammunition.

What is supposedly driving the variance in wounding effects?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:

shame
Nope not so !

There is more to precision than simply velocity and rate of spin !

There is the pesky little overlooked problem of projectile attitude at time of barrel egress and of course projectile disturbance by the ejecting gas mass !

Ballistics 101 !
Projectile egress is stochastic albeit within upper and lower limits within a window of variance.

In precision shooting the object of the exercise is to keep the magnitude of disturbance to a minimum and then also to limit the magnitude of the attitude variance.

Precision shooters go to great lengths to regulate neck tension and intra bore instability and attitude because of the above.

Not only does this have an effect on precision shooting but also variations seen in wounding effects with close up shots fired from the same weapon using same lot of ammunition.

oldIf we're talking precision shooting here you might have a point. If we're talking something else your post is genuine over kill. TMI. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:

shame
Nope not so !

There is more to precision than simply velocity and rate of spin !

There is the pesky little overlooked problem of projectile attitude at time of barrel egress and of course projectile disturbance by the ejecting gas mass !

Ballistics 101 !
Projectile egress is stochastic albeit within upper and lower limits within a window of variance.

In precision shooting the object of the exercise is to keep the magnitude of disturbance to a minimum and then also to limit the magnitude of the attitude variance.

Precision shooters go to great lengths to regulate neck tension and intra bore instability and attitude because of the above.

Not only does this have an effect on precision shooting but also variations seen in wounding effects with close up shots fired from the same weapon using same lot of ammunition.

oldIf we're talking precision shooting here you might have a point. If we're talking something else your post is genuine over kill. TMI. beerroger

ALF,

When you figure out how many angels can dance on the head of pin, please let us know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Owned a very nice USRA model 70 in 6.5x55; shot well. No regrets selling it, although maybe minor-league collectible.

Good round, much more versatile than the 6.5x57.. Why not the 7x57 if you want traditional? Not terribly thrilled by either one though.

The .260rem is the better all-around choice. The 6.5x284 even moreso if velocity is your goal. Wanting to go with the 155-160gr bullets? Can always use a long-action and throat barrel for the load you envision. Not much better than the 142gr matchkings for accuracy.

The 6.5x55AI will just about duplicate the 6.5x284; burning about same load of powder. With one, you're in barrel-burning territory so why not go 6.5x284? The .260AI is appealing, but.... Really the AIs perform best with heavy bullets and all I've opted for were .30-06AI, .308winAI, and .338-06AI.

Still own the .260rem chambering, just don't shoot it...

No rationalizing why you need another rifle, but... The Mauser case is more of the romanticized classic thing. Like choosing the .30-40 Kragg or .30-30win. Both are great cast boolit rounds, but not so much in the contemporary spectrum of ctg choices.

Nice to have the shorter case w/great performance and ease of conversion or acquisition. Neither the Swede or Mauser cases are common.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had several 6.5X55's and they performed perfectly for what I wanted...a great deer round. The '57' would do exactly the same but for some reason I have a SERIOUS WANT of a light, trim german (Austrian?) single shot in 6.5X57R.... THAT would be just plain fun to hunt with. In a bolt I'd just stay with the '55' for me.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote