Find
Notify
Tools

sako mannlicher questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't own one....yet, but I've a couple questions

How difficult is it to pull the barreled action from the stock?
If you have one, what does it weigh? L.O.P.?
Any advice/opinions on this rifle?
What scope/mount height will work with the open sights?
I'm thinking either 30'06 or 308

thanks

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned at least a dozen of them over the years, mostly .375's and 9.3's. It is easy to pull the action. The forend is a seperate piece of wood, held in place by the steel tip and barrel band. You remove the tip and forend, slide the band forward, then remove the 2 action screws.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure by what you mean "remove the tip and "forend"... The forend is mechanicly held to the rest of the stock and you shouldn't try to separate them.

You remove the muzzle cap and the barrel band, then you can remove the entire stock from the barreled action.

I have an older forester. Their neat little rifle's with good egronomics. Mine was a .243 but I rebored to .358.

I just threw it on the scale and with 2x7 Leupold on deck and a leather sling, it weighed in at 7 1/8 pounds. A belly full of .358's would probably bring it up to 7 1/4 or so.

I don't care for the later versions. They have a lot more wood on them and feel bulky to me.

Good luck on your purchase. BT

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, there is no rear sight so scope hight is whatever is practical for the ocular lens and barrel contact.

LOP, is whatever you need to cut it to, to fit you properly... mine is 13" from center of trigger. It see's fall / winter use and heavy clothing.

If you can find a good used .308, I think you would be a very happy camper. BT

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Although I cant help you with your questions I can say that my hunting buddy hunts with one in 308 which is not the lightest rifle but really points well.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I like my 308. And the 243 is going to be a rebore .358 WCF. I had my LOPs adjusted by the time honored method of a saw and grinder. Good luck on the purchase. Packy

One of Us
Picture of Wizard78
posted Hide Post
Excellent choice in rifle! The two calibers you chose have different actions. The original 308 is on the L57 or L579 model and I've seen plenty of the Manlicher version and currently own one. They also made the 243 and 222 in the Manlicher. The early 222 Manlichers had a 1 piece stock without a center barrel band. The 30/06 used the L61R and I have never seen a Manlicher version of this action. (doesn't mean they don't exist) If you are seriously looking for an early version, I could ask the other members of the Sako Collectors Club, if any were ever produced. The later AIII model did have a Manlicher version in various calibers but had heftier wood and a more squarish forend. I own one in 7mm RM and it is a great rifle. It is a great deal different to hold and shoot than the earlier L579 model. The LOP on my AIII is just under 14" and my L579, 308 and 243 are a tad over 13&1/2". Others have told how to take stock off which I try not to do. As mentioned in one of the upper posts, the L579 didn't have a rear sight on the barrel but rather took it's place of the rear scope groove. The AIII has a rear sight and I would recommend a set of high rings so as to not interfere with the sight. Good luck on your purchase and I'm sure you'll be happy which ever one you settle on.

Posts: 1550 | Location: SE Florida | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote