Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x303
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted
Does anyone have any info or load data for 6.5x303 brit/ackley improved. I have several p14 enfield actions and am thinking on this as a custom series based on 303 blown out and necked to 6.5. I dont realy care for the epps. or 25x303 but the 6.5 looks good. any thoughts or advise apriciated.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, you made me pull out all of my old manuals, did not find a thing
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the 6.5X53R Dutch round.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Crusher,

My advise would be to get that P14 rebarreled to 6.5-06 (It can handle it) and go with that.

If that doesn't suit your taste go with the 6.5-303 and use 25-303 data and 120gr bullets as a start.

Also try Nick Harveys reloading manual as it has just about everything based on the 303 case.

Best bet is go to a 6.5-06 though and I am looking at doing exactly that with a P14 at the local gun shop

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamish:
Gidday Crusher,

My advise would be to get that P14 rebarreled to 6.5-06 (It can handle it) and go with that.
Best bet is go to a 6.5-06 though and I am looking at doing exactly that with a P14 at the local gun shopHamish

Wouldn't it make more sense to start with a P17. or stick with a rimmed cartridge?

Perhaps the 6.5 X 57R, or 6.5 X 54R,6.5x53R (Russian),26BSA (commercial P14),6.5X 53R Mannlicher,6.5mm JDJ#2, or check and see if Ellwood Epps doesn't have the 6.5/303 in his line of wildcats. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
waveGraf& Sons has a set of RCBS 6.5 X 56 Danish Krag dies on sale for $49.99. That's awfully close to 6.5X303. I'm sure someone has a reamer. lolroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crusher I think you will find that PO Ackley experimented with the 3040 krag cartridge not the 303. Elwood Epps used the 303 case. They both played with the 6.5 cal. The only real difference is the slightly longer neck on the Ackley due to the 3040 case being slightly longer. I have a 25-303 Epps and it gives up very little to a 25-06 so you can expect similar results in the 6.5 version. Elwood passed away a few years ago but one of his Grandsons is a gunsmith and chambers all the Epps cartridges. He runs the "Wise Choice Gunsmithing" in Clinton Ont. If you are interested I can find a phone # for you

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
Ackley wrote this one up in one of his books clymer has print for the ackley and so does rcbs I think this would be an easy rebarrel for a p14 anyone else ever try this

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote