New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes bullets
 Login/Join

<FarRight>
posted
My brother and I were looking into these until a while ago when we began asking around more some input on them from people who had actually shot them. They looked so good on the ads but the responses we got were not good. We heard all sorts of horror stories about bad accuracy, barrel fouling, and increased pressure... which is funny cause I thought the XLCs were supposed to fix that. Anyways, we heeded the words of wisdom and opted for Nosler Partitions instead. So far the Noslers have been fine but I just wanted to know if your guy's experience with the Barnes bullets have been postive or negative, in particular, hows their accuracy?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have rifles that shoot xlc's better than partitions and the xlc's do not foul barrels like the uncoated x's

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matters if you are hunting or shooting paper, in the field the XLCs will usually shoot accuratly enough for most game. The Xs are great for larger game, great expansion and wieght retention.
As for accuracy, they are supbar when it comes to target shooting. The local shop had a box of 6.5mm 140grn Xs that I thought I would try in my 6.5-284. Group sizes doubled at over 500 yards, as you can guess I went back to my Sierra MatchKings.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<6.5 Guy>
posted
I have switched over from Partitions to XLCs for all my heavy duty hunting loads. They shoot just as, if not more, accurately than Partitions in my rifles. Just make sure that ALL copper fouling from jacketed bullets is removed from your bore before you start shooting the Barnes bullets, and you'll be ok.

The 140 grain, 6.5 mm X bullet is too long to stabilize in a rifle with a 1 in 9" twist or slower. It shoots great in a Swede, which has a much quicker twist than that.

<pakrattusnongratus>
posted
I had good results with the uncoated Xs. When I went to the XLC I anticipated no problems and got none. I clean my barrels thoroughly after shooting them. Nothing came up on the fouling subject. The residue out of the first passes of the cleaning rod took some getting used to. On accuracy I dropped all game hit with those X bullets and all guns they were used in, shot minute of game if I shoot properly. My L579 fullstock in .308 Win. is not a benchrest gun. I will continue to buy them until I can readily acquire the GS Custom bullets from a US supplier/distributor. Then I will buy the flat noses for boar and HV for most other game except varmint. We need fewer lawyers and even fewer gun rags! When writers can avoid being influenced by "samples" and other perks then I may subscribe to more mags. The gun scribes of the past have soured people on some good products . .358 Winchester and lever guns are only two of those subjects.

------------------
Member NRA, Life NMLRA, Life NAHC

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been wondering what rate of twist you would need for different X bullets. I look at GS customs recomendations, and i would think that the barns can't be a whole lot different. If a 173 grn 30 cal needs a 1 in 9, i would think that a barnes 200grn would need at least that, and if so, might be the reason for the complaints about accuracy. Most of the complaints I have read about inaccuracy have been with heavy for caliber bullets. Any ideas?

Posts: 61 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My point is that the Barnes are accurate for almost any hunting duty, I use a 1~8.5 twist which should be plenty to stabilize the 140s at 3000fps. I have taken woodchucks at 600yards with the X in the 6.5-284, but when competing at 500+ yards they don't stand a chance against the Sierras. Of course we are talking about a total custom rifle, I think for the average gun and the average game you will find the same results with the Barnes as any premium hunting bullet.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<MFH>
posted
My 300win shoots the xlc's very well,but only after about 10-12 fouling shots. With a clean bore, groups are about 2-2.5". After 10-12 rounds, groups shrink to<1" and stay until the bore is cleaned again.

MFH

<David Boren>
posted
Im planning on spending a rather large sum of money to make my 300 win mag a 1/2 MOA or smaller shooting gun. First step is a 26 inch #6 contour Stainless Fluted Lilja barrel with a 1:10 twist. With this new barrel, and Barnes XBT XLCs, could I expect 1/2 MOA. And I dont like the thought of having to fire 12 shots before my accuracy improves. If I cant get that at least close to that kinda accuracy with Barnes Ill stick with the Nosler Partitions. I clean my guns A LOT, so the whole shooting a couple rounds before it is accurate just dont work for me.

<T/Jazz>
posted
David I once shot a 338 mag (Winchester model 70 pre-64 action) with a stainless barrel. This gun was a factory rifle with nothing done to it other than a Leupold 2.5 x 10 scope mounted on the rifle.

Now with a little help from a friend or two at the gun club, we loaded up some Barnes XLC bullets (225 grain) to be used at the bench with this rifle. I shot one round through the rifle to make sure it was on target at 25 yards.

I later shot 3 shots in a one hole group at 100 yards. I couldn't believe my eyes, so Frank checked things out through the spotting scope as I put another bullet into the same ragged hole.

I will not discard the ability of a factory gun to shoot tight groups. I know that with a little patience and time at the reloading bench and perhaps a minor trigger adjustment, some remarkable things can be achieved.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried Barnes bullets in almost everyone of my rifles and never had one that didn't foul (most with custom barrels) or shoot anywhere close to the rifle's accuracy potential but I have several friends whose rifles, both factory and custom, shoot them very well and without fouling any worse than Noslers etc.....go figure. I've given up on them and use Noslers for almost everything.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
DB Bill,
A friendly suggestion, if I may. Try the molycoating powder from "Midway" and also their associated product called "Bore-Prep" (cheap). Use a dedicated tumbler for half hour sessions. I believe there is a good chance you'll be pleased.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The XLCs have worked great for everyone I have talked to...I loaded some 165 XLCs for my friend in his .308 Warbird in the Sako package...he was getting sub .5" groups at 100yds. I have the 210gr XLCs to load up in my .338 Ultra, and will test them out this summer...A couple others on this site have used the 210gr XLCs in their 338 Ultras with great success. My overall recommendation for the XLC's: Two thumbs up!

------------------
God Bless and Shoot Straight

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote