THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Remington 700 5R Mil spec barrel rifles. Worth it or not?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 5R Mil spec barrel rifles. Worth it or not?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
I've seen a few of these floating around lately. What's the deal with them? better than a regular heavy barrel 700? Worth the cash? what's the skinny on these?

Thanks,
Terry

PS. This is what I'm talking about.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=86939414

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not. Spend your money wisely and get a real custom barrel if that is what you want. There is nothing else like a match grade krieger.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one. sub 1/2" 5 shot. Very little to no fouling. Rem 5r is all it is supposed to be. I did not like the stock it came in. Blot handle skinned knuckle on trigger finger from recoil. Replaced with mcmillan. It is really fun to shoot a super accurate rife at the range.
Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I can sensibly gather is that Boots Obermeyer adopted the 5r principle and taught MikeRock, and the word is 5r barrels in latter rem.5r rifles are inhouse made hammerforgings,and according to some, not as fine as the original5r tubes.
I certainly would not put a Krieger on a pedestal above an Obermeyer5r or Mikerock5r cut rifle barrel.
http://www.rockcreekbarrels.com/prod01.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30378 nailed it cold.
why would you buy into hype when you can buy the real Mcoy?
woodjack, mr Boots Obermeyer taught John Krieger the cut-rifle ropes long before he took Mike Rock under his wing and taught him the same ropes. all 3 of their cut-rifle barrels stand very strong on their own matching winning records.

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Woodjack,
Would be interesting to see just how many Krieger barrels are used by top long range shooters/across the course shooters/custom high end sporting rifle shooters/ versus the other makers mentioned. Krieger is at the top of the game these days and others so far have not even approached them in performance. Sure others are good barrels, but if I were not going to buy a Krieger, would merely select a double buttoned, air gauged Douglas and "favor center!!"

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I did my f class gun I talked to the benchrest guys. I have a Shilen on mine.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Milspec 5R is worth the extra $$$ over the standard PSS, if that's you you mean, especially when you consider the extra it would cost to fit a Kreiger or Rock BBL to a standard PSS.
JMHO.

Best of luck with your choice.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dsiteman,
Interestingly, Mr.Hagn who builds some of the finest most reputable hunting customs ,mentioned to me that he dont have much interest in Krieger anymore, much prefers RKS(RonSmith).
Another perfectionist is Mark Chanlynn(RockyMountainBarrelWorks, Colorado) who I believe also learnt From Mr Obermeyer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Woodjack,
Intersting info, but not sure whether you are a competitor, clasified shooter or not, but most that are usually have a Krieger tube on the rifle. Schneider is highly thought of and so is Obermeyer, but supply limited and not a factor overall. Suggest one shoots whichever barrel that will bring him up in classification.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiteman:
Hello Woodjack,
Intersting info, but not sure whether you are a competitor, clasified shooter or not, but most that are usually have a Krieger tube on the rifle. Schneider is highly thought of and so is Obermeyer, but supply limited and not a factor overall. Suggest one shoots whichever barrel that will bring him up in classification.

actually,..Krieger does not dominate the ranks,..no one barrel does. I see an equal mix of quite a few barrels.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote