THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    350 Rem Mag Idea... Tell Me About Yours!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

350 Rem Mag Idea... Tell Me About Yours!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted
I've always loved the 35's, though I've only had a 35 Rem and 358 Winchester. Both were VERY accurate. Did have a 35 Whelen on order last year, but changed to 338-06 at the last moment... okay, I know, I'm a ".358 heretic!"

Anyway, Here's what's got me thinking about the ole' 350 Rem Mag:

I got to pondering my 300 WSM as a "platform" for something else. The newest version of the Winchester 70 SA has a 1/4" longer ejection port and will allow cartridges of just over 3". Cool. It is (exactly) to the "standard" short action what the 375 H&H, 7STW, 300 Wby & Ultra Mag length action is to the "standard" Long Action.

Sooo, to be more long-winded, I got to thinking a rebarrel to 350 Rem Mag would be right at home in the 300 WSM action. The bolt face is already opened up and the follower ready to go for the little 35 chunkster... with a 20" barrel, and the ability to seat heavy bullets out a bit further, it'd be one dandy little elk-buster.

Whatdya think?

How bout some 350 Rem Mag input?

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad , you sure are one fickle dude . HehHehHeh . So now the poor WSM barrel is going down the road ?

Yeah , I think your idea should work just fine . With the bullets seated out , you should be able to get 2600 fps with 250 s , even out of the short tube . Should make a fair grizzly weapon too , if they ever decide to let you Montanans hunt them .

You might want to make up some dummy rounds to check the feeding before you jump though .I dunno , but there may be some dimentions of the WSM action that might not be compatable with the .350 case ?

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
SD, not fickle so much as bored! I need to get up in the hills!

I agree, loading some rounds up would be wise. I'm not saying I'm ACTUALLY going through with this project, but I do have a soft-spot for carbines!

I got the 300 WSM feeding. Spent an hour on the phone with USRAC's Chief Design Engineer... very nice man, and a genuine rifle looney with a LOT to say... gave a few pointers that were helpful.

Have a great day!

Brad

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Now, why exactly would you not just go with the 350 WSM? Get another bit of speed, and you wouldn't have to change feed rails, and such. Just wondering, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad (sorry I had to get off the phone so quick today)

Do you think it would fit in a M700 short? I have that 284 and have thought about going taht route-believe it or no! A Leo 4 x or 6xand I'd be ready for the "DARK TIMBER".

21" tube and life would be great!!!

Thanks

GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

(you get your bruin tag yet? You have till the 15th-get one so we can go and get you a monster for the wall. Me thinks I know where the next state record might be!!!

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Dutch, even though a 35 WSM would be a simple case-forming proposition, I'm just not a wildcatter of any sort... that round would be mighty appealing though!

Mark, I'll get to work on getting my tag this week... no problem on the phone thing... if I don't understand your business, no one does!

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
BRAD. I HAD A REMINGTON CUSTOM SHOP MODEL 7 IN 350REM MAG ONCE. IT HAD A KEVLAR STOCK AND A 20 INCH BBL. I REALLY LIKED THAT GUN. IT SHOOT GOOD WITH 200GR. AND 250GR. HORNADYS, AND THE 250GR. SPEER. THIS WAS BEFORE THE DAYS OF THE .358 NOSLER PARTITIONS, AT LEAST I NEVER SAW ANY AT THE GUNSTORE. EVEN WITH FULL POWER LOADS THE GUN DID NOT SEEM TO HAVE MUCH RECOIL. I LIKED THE ROUND. I FOUND A SAKO 375 HANDY RIFLE, FIBERGLASS STOCK, 20 INCH BBL. SO MY "BUDDY" TALKED ME OUT OF THE 350MAG, THEN PROMPTLY MOVED OUT OF STATE. IT WAS A VERY NICE CALIBER...

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
<350RM>
posted
Brad I own two 350RM rifles, I can tell you this caliber is a gem, especially if you load it with 200gr barnes. Inside 300 yards, nothing will live very long after being properly hit.
But I would not re-do it again, now that all these new fat cartridges are out. I figure that if Winch released the 375 WSM, i would buy one and forget the 350RM.
The thing should come quickly, so why not wait ?
olivier

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad-

I had a .350 Mag built. I have posted about it elsewhere, so I'll save the longwinded drivel about my gun being the best. All I can say is I really like it. Only bagged a sheep and some 'yotes and several jackrabbits with it. Mine has a 22" Shilen tube. Pack great on a horse as I scabbard mine vertical in front. I get an honest 2700+ with 225 Partitions and I can seat mine right at 3.00". Varget is the best I've tried. If you want more intel, let me know. Most "favorite" gun in the safe.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Guys, sounds like everyone that owns one likes it! That's not always the case.

350, you're probably correct... patience. Perhaps Remington will come out with a 35 SAUM rather than go "head to head" with Olin's 338 WSM... we shall see. I'd rather have the 35. I DO know certain folks at USRAC are pushing for larger bores on the 300 WSM case... up to .375". For those of us who like Short Action cartridges, these are "days of heaven."

JJ... your's sounds like a keeper! Built on a M98?

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad-

Mine was built on a short action Savage (lefty). Since you are so interested in projects, maybe look into a Savage action, buy the wrentch to switch barrels at home, have 3-4 barrels for WSM cartidges; say a 6.5, .300 and a .350, and tell me how it works???

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
<WSJ>
posted
Well, shoot, I don't have a custom rifle. . . just a regular ol' 700 Classic I picked up last year. Shoots MOA or less with 200 gr. Rem./BLC2/CCI 250 at very moderate velocities. I've got several 225 gr. bullets I haven't had time to work up any loads for yet. Hell, I bought two 100-count boxes of new factory brass and a bunch of pistol bullets to fire-form them with and haven't even done that. I need to get on it because I really do want to see how it works with 225 BT's and Partitions and then maybe 250 Partitions or Grand Slams (if I can locate some of the older type GS's). Considering trying IMR 4350 & 4891 based on load data in American Rifleman from a year or two ago. Any other suggestions?

Does anyone have any experience with the Barnes 225 X's in this chambering, particularly with the 700 short action? I ran across some clearanced recently and didn't buy them because I was afraid they'd be too long to shoot well in this rifle (having to be seated too deep to fit the magazine).

This cartridge on, a true short action, seems really to be best suited to a maximum bullet weight of 225 gr., from what I've been able to gather from my readings and given modern trajectory expectations. Any thoughts on this assumption?

Comments on the recent G&A article on the 358 UMT? Might be too much of a good thing. Keep the 35 alive! -WSJ

<WSJ>
posted
Yikes! Correction: Powders I'm considering are 4350 and 4895 (typing isn't my strong suit).

one of us
posted Hide Post
WSJ

I think you will find the .35 cal 225 gr ballistic tip to be awfully long for a short action . The 225 gr Sierra should work well . If you want to try some 250 s , the Speer hot core is not that long of a bullet , quite a bit shorter than the ballistic tip , in fact . Hornaday also has a round nose 250 . I'd bet that either of those would work OK in a short action .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious what do you use for an over all length? I have a 700/short action and am thinkin about the 350 in it?

Thx

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Brad, just get a .300 Win. Mag. or a .338 Win .Mag. built to your specs and be done with it.

The scant few ounces of weight you'll save via the short action will hardly be a barrier to you getting up the mountain one way or the other. Heck, if I can hunt sheep, goats, mule deer, bears, and elk plus carry a backpack, binoculars, and a nine-pound .300 Win. Mag., so can just about anyone else - especially you!

Best Wishes,
Allen

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen,
Yeah,but what fun would that be?

I've always wanted a 350 Remington Magnum.I'll need to suss one out now as this has resparked my interest.I know where there is an absolutley fabulous setup on an early 1970s Model 700 BDL (the old kind with the impressed checkering,which most people hate but I love).I'll have to try to trade the guy out of it,since he wants almost as much as a new Weatherby Mark V Deluxe for it.Never could see shelling out a thousand froggies for a Remington just because it is in a "desireable" chambering.I ought to find a shot out old model 308 and just rebarrel.Now that's an idea!

Man,I need to stop reading these boards-they get expensive!

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
The belted magmums are now off my new rifle buy list. While I designed a wildcat 15 years ago on a belted case to headspace on the shoulder I would not do it today. I would go with the WSM case today.

Suggesting a .300 Win mag in place of a .35 short action does not get the point of a short handy rifle. The expansion ratio alone makes a real difference in .30 vrs .35. For instance a 24" bbl in .30 cal is equaled by a 18" bbl in .35!

<WSJ>
posted
What Don Martin29 says . . . !

Unless a person has a yen for a "desirable" (albeit almost obsolete) chambering like the 350 rem mag, why not just go with the 300 WSM or SAUM necked up to 35 and hope Winchester or Remington standardizes it one day? Same short action/big game concept but with the advantage of no belt and, I believe, slightly more case capacity than the 350 rem mag.

I look at rechambering for one of those options as a possibility for my 350 if and when brass becomes impossible to locate. Although, honestly, I can probably shoot the rest of my life with what I've got on hand.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I for one am quite happy with the 350 Rem Mag. I have two, but the Rem 600 was "borrowed" by a family member and I don't expect to ever see it again. The other is built on a 98 action, skeletonised, with a 20" barrel, Teflon coated. Seat the bullets out to 3.5" and I'm good for 2650 fps with Speer 250 gr bullets. Nice rifle shoots well, great hunting gun. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote