Find
Notify
Tools

8mm Rem Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted
Anyone with actual first-hand experience with this cartridge?

I am looking towards one with the idea of using it for an all-round mid to long range (250 -400 yards) rifle for animals ranging in size fron deer and sheep up to moose and elk.

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of recoilpad
posted Hide Post
I have used this cartridge on whitetail deer. Too much cartridge for this animal. Shots were pass-throughs and a lot of meat damage. I was using the Remington factory 185 gr. loads. My rifle is a Rem 700 BDL. I sold my 7400 in .270 when this caliber first came out. I thought I had to have one. All I have left is the 220 gr. Rem ammo. I do not reload so I have to shoot factory ammo. The 220's kick really hard in this light rifle. I have not shot this rifle in 10 or 11 years. For some reason I cannot part with this rifle. This caliber will handle all of the animals that you inquired about.

"Big ears doesn't make you a good listener, but big feet will tell on you." - Mr. Bill Clinton

Posts: 339 | Location: Texas via Louisiana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
JMHO, but that has been the problem with the 8MMRM since its birth, bullets not up to the velocities of the cartridge. It is getting better, and this cartidge is a good candidate for mono's, IMHO. I have been less than overwhelmed with factory ammo in this round. Noslers were the best for me, on deer and elk, and black bear. The lighter bullets do wonders on coyotes and jackrabbits. Smiler I got out of the 8MMRM game still waiting for good bullets for other than varmit shooting.

Sacred cows make the best burgers.

Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
^^With the 325 WSM bullets should become more plentiful no? I understand that there are better calibers, but to be honest I have an itch to buy or build a rifle in this caliber. At this point I'm leaning towards building...

Big Grin

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend has one, and shoots it really well. IMHO, it is about the best round out there for elk-size critters. Bullet choice has been limited, but is getting better with the advent of the .325 WSM. Either the NP 200 grs or the new Barnes TSX 185 grs would be my picks.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I don't see the 325 WSM doing a whole heck of a lot for improving bullet selection for the 8mm Rem Mag.

With 185's and 200's, it's just a 300 Weatherby that doesn't shoot as flat or penetrate as much. Just my humble opinion, mind you.

Now if a bunch of good 230, 250+ bullets started showing up, that would be an improvement.

But nobody will buy those things to stick in the 325 WSM. At least not in the quantities required for bullet makers to start making them for.

So no, I don't think it will help. A shame too, I've always wanted an 8mm Mag.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington makes the 8mm magnum in the safari ammo with swift a-frame bullets dont they in 200Gr,.I would think that would be a nice round for the 8mag.
I like them and thought the recoil was much like the 300wby..Before buying a 8mag i would shoot a 338 mag.,nice round -easy to get ammo,I prefer the 338 best.Not much difference in a 300wby..200gr. & 8mag. 200gr...
The 8mag is a powerful round and lots of fun to shoot.....Good luck!

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had one since 1998 when I picked up a 700 Classic. I've got 2 friends who also have one. I've yet to kill anything with it despite toting it around the mountains on an elk hunt a few years ago and deer hunting a couple times.

I reload for it and have been using 200 gr. Nosler Partitions and H4831 for 3016 fps. I recently tried RL-25 and Hornady 220 gr. bullets (now discontinued) and easily got to 3000 fps. I plan to try some 220 gr. Swift A-Frames with the same powder and a velocity goal of 2950-3000 fps and use them on another elk hunt this fall. Maybe I'll even get to shoot at one this time.

Remington does load the 200 gr. A-Frames as their sole factory load but I've never shot them and can't say what actual velocity is. I'm still shooting up a bunch of 185 gr. factory loads just to have fire-formed brass (and get some shooting in with it). Velocity is ~2960. The 220 gr. bullets at 3000 kick substantially more. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got one in a M700 Classic. I've shot nothing but handloads in it, but what I have shot have shot very well out of it. Nice rifle that shoots great.

I got it on a whim, and currently have it on my "to sell" list, as I'll realistically never find a genuine use for it... Frowner