Find
Notify
Tools

E-Tips
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
Don't seem to hear much about the Nosler E-tips. Everything seems to be TSX this and TTSX that. Did the E-tips just not catch on? For those of you that use them what are your thoughts?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I've used a lot of ETips. They're fine - just another mono metal. I just used them in Africa to take the three beests, warthog, zebra and Eland. I've also shot a couple of Sitka blacktails.

In short, if you hit the animal right they go down.

I think Barnes penetrate better simply due to having less frontal area. Having said that I've had Barnes lose petals whereas the ETip I did recover in my Zebra was fully intact in spite of shattering a couple ribs and ending up in the off shoulder socket.

ETips do build pressure faster than the Barnes bullets - on average I was getting about 50-75 fps less with the ETIps. On the other hand the ETips proved more accurate than the Barnes in my rifles.

Copper fouling has not been a problem at all for me and I've shot several hundred of them through my 7 SAUM and 7RM.

Just my opinion, use them with confidence. I have no issues with them at all.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 8x68 rifle that just loves the 180 gr E-tips. I just haven't shot much with it to give you any info on its performance on game. They are certainly accurate.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the E-tip' mono-metal leave as much fouling in your barrels as the all copper mono-metals?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Etips like the Hornady GMX are gilding metal rather than copper, so they are a touch harder. This means they need a bit more velocity to open and can build more pressure.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
Does the E-tip' mono-metal leave as much fouling in your barrels as the all copper mono-metals?

ETips are the same gilding metal as any other jacketed bullet.

I've not had a problem at all.

My cleaning regimen is usually nothing more than a couple quick passes with a brush and patch.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stealth
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with E-Tips in 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm WSM, and 30-06. The bullet was consistently accurate in those three rifles and it was easy to get factory equivalent velocity with a variety of powders. The bullet performed as expected of any mono-metal bullet on whitetails. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on elk or African plains game.

"Personal is not the same as important", Corporal Carrot, Men at Arms

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On three Elk and 2 deer they have very impressive . They transfer A lot of energy into the animal and penetrate completely. Accurate and don't load metal in the barrels like the pure copper bullets. The E-tip is A incredible bullet in the 300 wsm, and 257 Weatherby.

Posts: 94 | Location: Hastings, Mn | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Bringing back an old thread...any others with Nosler E-tip experiences or recovered bullets?

I'm unloading some Accubond LR's and thinking of trying the E-tip out.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
part of the problem is I can find the GMX and the TTSX on the shelf in my LGS's.
I seen one box of the E-tips and they were in a caliber I don't use.
about the only caliber I don't use ironically.
if they had been in 22,24,25,26,28,30,31,32,33,34,35,37 or sumthin like that I'd have tried them.
but nope.

Posts: 4986 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote