New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 x 64 Opinions
 Login/Join

<Gunner>
posted
I've got a line on a very competitively prices CZ 550 full stock rifle (which I've been slobbering over for a while). The problem is the one I'm looking at is chambered in 7 x 64; a cartridge I'm completely unfamiliar with. Anyone with any experience with this cartridge, I'd GREATLY appreciate your opinions.

I'm guessing ballistics are similar to the 280 Remington - which means I'm probably going to loose performance from the short (20.5") barrel - down around 7x57 levels I'm guessing. Or, is this one of those "efficient" cartridges that will work well in a short tube.

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions...

Regards,

Kevin

<Don Martin29>
posted
A rifle like that is gold to some and not of interest to others. So if you like it and the price is right then get it. Of course the velocity from a carbine bbl. will be a little less but it will still be a high velocity round.

I just glanced at a loading manual for the 7X64 and this cartridge is the orginal dating back to the 191X's. It would be best for to reload for it as European ammo must be expensive.

It should be able to stay with any .280 or .270 with the same bbl length.

Make sure that the rifle fits you. If there is no scope on it now check and recheck that the cheekpiece is for a scoped rifle if that's how you intend to sight it. Also some of that type have unusual pistol grips or double set triggers that are hard to reach.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the 7x64. I don�t like it, as everybody and his brother has one.

It really burns on slow powders, so a short barrel is not recommended. Otherwise check shell lenght by the cleaning rod method, seat the bullets far out and try 4831, 160, 560 or Norma MRP ( Rel 22 ?? ).

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I'd grab it!! I had two 20" barrelled ,270's and these shot OK. 2850 with 150 mgrain Nosler Partitions, 2950 with 130's. Your 7X64 would do better!! I'd bet you could get 2700 with a 175-grain, 2800+ with 160's, 3000 or so with 140's!!

<JOHAN>
posted
7X64 is a European 280. Cases has been made by Remington before, I'm not sure on todays line. NORMA, RWS and S&B makes cases and ammo for this caliber. I think federal still makes ammo. I think I t will be a perfect caliber for you.

Personally I would like to get a few extra inches of barrel [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Good luck with your new rifle

/ JOHAN

<peregrinus>
posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gunner:
[QB]I'm guessing ballistics are similar to the 280 Remington - which means I'm probably going to loose performance from the short (20.5") barrel - down around 7x57 levels I'm guessing.

Hi Gunner,
the 7x64 was designed by Brenneke for use in the 98 Mauser in 1917 with a maximum pressure of 3600 bar (52.200 psi) with the then usual long throat for heavy near-cylindrical bullets.
The shoulder starts farther forward than in the .270 Win. (which came in 1925) and it can be seen as kind of a "super".270 Win with a slightly larger bullet diameter optimized for heavier bullets up to 175 grs - or midway between the .270 and the .30-06.
The .280 Remington (which came half a century later)was designed for use in a Remington self-loader and initially kept down in pressure and performance (as compared to the 7x64mm), otherwise the case is very similar.
The 7x64 was and still is extremely popular in most parts of Europe as a hunting cartrige since its introduction, being to the Europeans what the .30-06 is for the Americans - despite it was never a government number. Any thin-skinned game animal in the world has been hunted successfully with it.

Personally I have used it occassionally for anything from Roe deer to Red Stag and Wild Boar, the load I use and load for my friends is a Barnes "X" 150 grs over a stiff dose of Kemira 160, using CCI 250 primers. The load gives 3.050 fps out of a 24" barrel and never let us down.

The cartridge is - due to its lower expansion ratio - a little less suitable for short barrels than the .30-06, but more so than the .270 Win. Nevertheless, lots of people use the Mannlicher styled rifles over here and can live with the increased recoil and muzzle blast, changing some fps for increased handling qualities. You would be still ahead of the 7x57 in its best loadings from normal-length barrels, and CZ makes fine rifles. If you like them otherwise, you will not go wrong with the chambering!

Peregrinus

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of these rifles. I bought about 23 boxes of Remington ammo during a closeout sale. Part is 140 grain and the other is 175 grain. I have only shot the 175 grain, and also cronographed it. It averaged about 2550 fps. It is the full stock 20.5" barrel. I have not really rung it out yet. I also have three boxes of federal 160 grain.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used a 7X64 for nigh on 16 years. An excellent cartridge for hunting medium sized big game up to Kudu size. Works with 100gr up to 175gr bullets. Way more versatile than the 270 Win.

A pity it won't clean up to 280 Rem chamber specs, this could be done but I think you might have to cut the chamber end of the barrel and that will screw around with the full length stock.

The ballistics are identical to 280 Rem, and I don't think it is as powder efficient as the 280 - this from my smith who advised me to do the 280 If I was prepared to hunt for brass or ammo. I wasn't.

If you lusting after a carbine and you are into close brush hunting then go with 160/175gr bullets. The performance will always beat out a 7X57 and in the lighter weights, all other things being equal (specifically barrel length, you can push 7mm mag levels.

But as I always say to Americans the 280 Rem makes more sense in America.

Cheers

pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Nick_S>
posted
Gunner

I use this in a Sako for deer here in the UK. It's a fine caliber - very effective and inherently accurate. I use 139 or 162gr bullets.
Most manuals say you can use .280 rem data for 7x64, but the Vitavuorhi manual and website has 7x64 data as such.

I'd go for it - I think you'd find it an enjoyable caliber to own.

Nick

one of us
posted Hide Post
All US ammo for th 7x64 is heavily underloaded! Win Euro line ( Norma ) perhaps not, but Rem and Fed for sure.

I have excellent success and groups lately ( in �06 ) with S & B ammo. I use 180 grs RNSP. I understand its not so flat shooting, but its so deadly and accurate, I would recommend to try it in 7x64. The price is so cheap, reloading doesn�t pay off. Look for a heavyweight bullet > 160 grs.

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
I have a few 7x64's and hsve been very happy with them. I believe that Remington, Federal ans S&B all sell ammunition in the US. I noted in the Graf&Son's catalog that the Federal Ammunition was $18--160 grain Nosler Partition.

The CZ is a nice rifle and mine is accurate.

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Red Rhino>
posted
I've got a cz550 in this caliber and its an excellent rifle. Shot 1/2 inch groups with 150 gr NBT's. Bought like 300 remington cases from OWS, all they had. So they said.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Nick_S I use a 7x64 for deer species in UK. Mine is a Blaser, and works well with Federal ammo (Nosler 160gr) I had planned to take it to Africa in May for plains game, but got a bore snake stuck in the barrel the morning I was to travel!
Regards
Robert

Posts: 94 | Location: Hampshire, UK | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Mannlicher 7X64 that I've had for 20 years. I used it for mule deer, antelope, and also for blacktail deer here in Alaska. I haven't used it in several years; hubby thinks it's just too darn cute to wreck it by dragging it around in the bush, and I've been on kind of a "big gun" fetish for awhile. We used Norma brass, but I don't remember the specifics and hubby's asleep.
I really like mine; it was accurate and plenty powerful for the critters I hunted with it(I just felt a little undergunned with it in brown bear country). I'll never get rid of it, it was my first gun all of my own.

Posts: 37 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 11 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Mid-South has the 7x64 brass on clearnace $5.88 for 20. http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0090305627012B

Sotck # 903-05627012B

-M

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
The 7x64's been one of my staples since decades and it's indeed a ballistic twin (or rather the other way around) of the .280 Rem. It's commonly used in short barrels (st�tzen rifles). However, I believe a not too slow powder would be best for shorties.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A few of guys in our huning club have them and speak very highly of them too. We were actually discussing this issue over the weekend, and one merit everybody who has shot one mentioned was that it seemed to have very good recoil characteristics. Most of the guys who had shot them said the felt recoil was less than most .270's they had shot. There was some speculation whether this could be down to the shoulder shape/ angle of the case...

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
Gunner,
I have a CZ in 7x64, a 550 American originally in 57 now rechambered to 64. I have a little more bbl so am probably getting some decent velocity. Not chrono'd as of yet. Without looking at the case head, I can't tell the 64 from a .280. Bob