New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber Bedding Problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an 84M in 338 Federal. When I got it from Kimber it was not bedded correctly, touching in only two small spots.

I pillar bedded and the groups improved some but each time I shoot the groups move..sometimes they are smaller and sometimes they are larger but moved usually 4 to 10 inches.

I've been thinkng about full length bedding. Has anyone done it on the 84M and what were the results?

Posts: 51 | Location: PA | Registered: 17 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my little 260 had a similar problem. it ended up being that the box magazine was just a bit to long and the action was being held up by the magazine. I ground it down a bit and bedded the action - no more problems. you can find out easy by putting a washer under the floorplate when you put the gun together - if that is the problem you can tell it right away by the way the screws tighten up

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll check that out. It has a blind magazine but that could still be a problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your rifle is apparantly moving in the stock..I would glass the complete barreled action tight. try it and if not satisfied, I would free float the barrel and try that. I would also try putting shims under the free floated barrel and see if it improved it at all..

One of the above 3 methods should work, if not then you need to be thinking about a new barrel.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I must say it sure is sad to see guys paying $1,000 for guns that don't shoot.

I wonder why the market tollerates so much from Kimber.

Posts: 21 | Location: Deep South Texas | Registered: 24 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Camp Dog:

It sure is. I know another gentleman who is having the same trouble with another 84 in .338. The rifle has been back to Kimber and it is still not right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your rifle is apparantly moving in the stock..I would glass the complete barreled action tight. try it and if not satisfied, I would free float the barrel and try that. I would also try putting shims under the free floated barrel and see if it improved it at all..

I have tried "O" rings and shims. I get improvement and then the groups move. I will try full length bedding next.

Thanks!!

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogface:
I have an 84M in 338 Federal. When I got it from Kimber it was not bedded correctly, touching in only two small spots.

I pillar bedded and the groups improved some but each time I shoot the groups move..sometimes they are smaller and sometimes they are larger but moved usually 4 to 10 inches.

I've been thinkng about full length bedding. Has anyone done it on the 84M and what were the results?

I know this is a slightly different situation, but I once had a Ruger Mini-30. I was able to develop a couple of loads for it that would always shoot 1" or so groups at 100 yards. But the groups were never in the same place from one day to the next. The groups would always move at least two inches, usually more, from yesterday to today. I finally gave the rifle a complete accurizing job including epoxy steel bedding, of the kind applied to the National Match Garands. The groups still moved! Sold the damn thing!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Camp Dog:

Tell me about it I have a 84m in 7-08 that is a litle "BITCHY" if not treated just right. This gun has been back two times and when I got it back the last time the box had a cute letter in it that to make a long letter short said (DONT SEND THIS GUN BACK AGAIN) Last one I buy!!!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
This gun has been back two times and when I got it back the last time the box had a cute letter in it that to make a long letter short said (DONT SEND THIS GUN BACK AGAIN) Last one I buy!!!

The Kimber horror stories continue! I know there were problems with their 45's but I thought their rifles were a good value.

Since I started asking around on the different forums about this rifle I have to now believe their rifles have serious problems also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dogface, It could be worse, check out the warped Termite Food on this fine rifle. Have you considered going to a home-grown, consistently-stable, rugged and reliable Synthetic?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's in a kevlar stock now!

one of us
posted Hide Post
May be the scope or perhaps it just doesn't like the ammo. Do you have a spare scope you could try? Do you load your own ammo?

If you are using a "Redfield Style" Base and Rings, it could be the Rear Ring is pulling through the two lateral adjustment screws. The Design is such that only the Front Ring actually has a worthwhile grip on the Scope(voice of experience).

Maybe it needs a bit of upward pressure near the end of the stock. You can shim it with Business Cards, tighten it up and see what happens.

Darn shame to put that kind of money in a rifle and have it fighting you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
May be the scope or perhaps it just doesn't like the ammo.

Maybe it needs a bit of upward pressure near the end of the stock. You can shim it with Business Cards, tighten it up and see what happens.

Darn shame to put that kind of money in a rifle and have it fighting you.

I have tried 10 or 12 different hand loads. This is the second scope but the first was only on for a day or two and I wanted to go to a higher power to develope a load. I may try another scope.

I tried an "O" ring and a business card shim.

I just shortend the mag well as butchloc suggested and it was too long. If that don't solve the problem I'll get out the glass and bed the entire barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope that fixes it for you.

Have a buddy who had a very accurate Bull Barrel 25-06 M700 which cost him a nice Buck. He had been experiencing some Group Shifting and couldn't figure it out. Anyway, he shot a Buck and it hit the ground, so he knew it had been hit hard. But it got up and ran away. (Killed 1 hour later by another buddy who was using a Grunt Call.)

The first shot hit just above the Hams and above the Spine. About 2 feet left and 1 foot above where he had been aiming. First buddy decided to sell the rifle. As he was removing the Scope, he found the Bases were slightly loose. Blue Loc-Tite fixed the problem.
-----

I like to run some Sierra MatchKings through any new rifle I get to do the initial Load Development and establish an Accuracy Base Line. If the MatchKings are not available(store out) then I try Nosler Ballistic Tips.

I also use the never improved upon Creighton Audette Load Development Method which gets me to the best Harmonic Nodes in the shortest amount of time. There is about a "14 out of 360" chance that a person can randomly select a Load and it happen to be where there is a good Harmonic Balance.
-----

What is it chambered for?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hot Core.