.338-06 Guild rifle complete!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 270Model70:
Terry,

What technique did you use to finish out the stock after staining it (to keep from wet sanding thru the stain)?

It turned out very nice. I really like the reddish color for that stock.

Brian

Hey Brian, I put 3 coats of Gun-Sav'R custom oil on in one day. Then I let it dry for about a week and VERY lightly wet sand with 600gr paper. After that I put on one more top coat and let dry. It dries to the touch in a day, but takes about a month to cure. After it cures I rub it down with 4X pumice to even up the finish then polish with rottenstone.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry.

I've been using Pro Custom Oil as well for the last few stocks and have really liked it. I'm refinishing my 9.3x62 and haven't yet decided if I'm going to stain it. Wet sanding with 320, 400, 600 and 1200 has given me great results, but that technique wouldn't work very well with a stained stock.

Did you apply the stain to the bare wood as the first step? Or did you put on a coat of something to seal the wood first?

It's great to learn from other's experiences. I appreciate your help.

Brian

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you apply the stain to the bare wood as the first step? Or did you put on a coat of something to seal the wood first?

The way I did it was fill in the grain and then triple check for any sanding marks. After that I applied the stain and then a few coats of Luarel Mountain permalyn sealer.

Since I did this stock I have come across another product I'm very eager to try. I read a post from Steven Dodd Hughes (SDH) about a stain called Behlen Solor-Lux. He was very happy with the results he got from it and if it's good enough for him, well..... I bought a pint of the stuff in blood red B503-3A285. It's vivid to say the least! I did a stock that turned very close to the color a few years ago. Most thought it was a little over the top but I liked it.

Here is a picture that pretty much approximates the color it'll be. I'll be using it again pretty soon on an old junker I'm fixing up.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote