New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby Vangard Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a chance to pick up a 338 win Vangard for a song. The wood looks nice but the action feels "cheap." I am looking for a platform for a custom barrelled build up--any experience with the Vangards? I could also go with a Savage 110 stainless action for about the same money. Any help would be greattly appreciated.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Vanguard action is made by Howa of Japan. It is the same action once used on the Smith & Wesson and Mossberg rifles, and now marketed as Howa.

Most people regard it as a fairly high-quality action. The alloy floorplate-trigger guard detracts from it, but functionally, it seems okay.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The action is strong and usually yields a very accurate rifle. If you plan to rebarrel the metric thread can be a pain.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The action is an early pre 75 Sako copy and is a slightly modified Mauser. I believe it is one of the best buys in the market today. I had one of the S&W model 1500 in a 270 based on this action and it proved to be one of the most accurate and dependable rifles l have owned.

Good luck with your decision.

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Curious, I have heard others compare the Howa to the Sako. I don't really see much similarity. The stock inletting for one doesn't even come close to fitting the other.

HOWEVER, the same factory many years ago did produce a rifle called the DICKSON-HOWA which was an exact copy of the Sako L-61R, right down to the scope mounting dovetails and the stock contours and finish. I have heard two different stories -- that it was produced under license (doesn't seem likely) or that it was a patent infringement that Sako prosecuted and put a stop to. I've only seen two examples of these guns at gun shows. Both were .30-06 and, unfortunately, neither was in a good enough condition to make a judgement as to the quality of the original gun.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, l had one of the Smith & Wesson 1500 which is basically the Howa action a few years back and the bolt head/body, lugs and firing spring and pin look very similar to the Sako action which was then known as the Finnbear. Other than this l agree that you can not interchange stocks as the inletting is not the same.

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the vangaurd (and all derivatives) are great actions, for an econo sporter. You can get the whole gun for like 300 new, in houston, all day long, if it says howa rather than weatherby.
lots of flex in the action, btw, but it's consistant.

the savage, while no where near as pretty, might be the easier.
jeff

Posts: 38501 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote