New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270 WSM bullet question...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm neither a handloader nor much of a ballistician. I see online that the .270 WSM is available in over 40 bullet type/wt combos...Can you reccomend one or two to be used for close shots at small critters (eg: javelina in Tx & honey badgers, civets, etc. in Zimbabwe). I'm looking for minimal pelt damage...Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would just have to point out the obvious (which you must realise and hence your question) which is that this is not the right caliber for what you are hoping to achieve.

As you don't reload there is no good answer.

Your PH may be able to lend you something more appropriate.

As a final alternative shoot two of each from opposite sides and have the taxidermist make one mount.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
If you hope for small exit wounds use mono metals like Barnes X. They do plenty of interior damage and a usually leave a much smaller exit than a copper/lead expanding bullet.
However with the speed of the 270 WSM you are not likely to be able to count on that every time.
African Leadwoods response about a borrowed rifle like a .223 could be good advice.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I shot a Blackbuck Doe 2-3 weeks ago with my .270 WSM and can tell you that it is a very powerful caliber for the sized animals you are speaking of. It was explosive on the Blackbuck and I couldn't imagine what it would do to a small Civet or Badger.

Javelina are very easy to bring down, a .223 would work fine (if you can find ammunition)

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those of you who have lots of experience with the Barnes TSX for example may know. How about using a TSX and taking pliers and squeezing the nose closed? Can you get a Fail Safe in 270WSM?

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They no longer make Failsafes.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
better off with a smaller caliber IMO.

I have a couple 270wsm and love them, but for small game may be alot of pelt damage.

A 130gr TTSX might be a good choice if in a factory round. Me I reload 140gr Accubonbds, and have shot the Winchester Supreme 140gr Accubond CT's.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I just saw on Norma's website that they make FMJ in .270 as well as .270 WSM...I'm a happy varmint shooter now!

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mighty Peace:
better off with a smaller caliber IMO.

I have a couple 270wsm and love them, but for small game may be alot of pelt damage.

A 130gr TTSX might be a good choice if in a factory round. Me I reload 140gr Accubonbds, and have shot the Winchester Supreme 140gr Accubond CT's.

Barnes just came out with a 130 grain LongRangeX .277". It has a significantly increased BC. I just ordered a box but will need to wait until summer to test them.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.