New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some info on the 300wsm.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking about having Jim Borden build me a 300 wsm in his basic rifle. My plans are to load 180 gr bullets at 2,800- 2850 fps. Do any of you load this way ? My 300 win mag only shoots well at top end loads. Thanks.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the new RL17, I'm shooting 180's at 3080 in my 300WSM. That's just the point it shot best. I could push it up to 3150 with that powder. With RL22, accuracy was at about 2950 with a 180. I think you could pick the right powder and bullet combination to work at that velocity.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the 300WSM will do that, potentially even faster depending on powder/bullet.
I have found the 300 WSM is very easy to load for, unfortunatly Ive gone away from this cartridge now, so I cant rattle off loads like I used to do.
I still load for it for mates, one shoots 168 NBT in his which has proven to be a fantastic bullet, he sent me a pixed of a Red stag he shot at 512 yrds last wednesday evening, "he just dropped on the spot and didnt get up!!"

Not to spin your head but personally I would go for the 7mm WSM myself but thats the long range part of me speaking.

Regards RUNAS

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a mate that guides in New Zealand and loves this calibre but he sticks with 150 grn speer bullets using a sako 85 and having ued it ,its a fantastic set up

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I find the .300 SAUM to be a better choice than the .300 WSM I've had two .300 WSM's. Had one re-barrled to .300 SAUM. Found it to be more accurate. The other is now a .416 WSM. I'm getting the same performance from it as my .416 Rem. Just my .02 cents worth.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote