New
Find
Notify
Tools

8MM Mag and RE-25
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have a load for Reloader 25 under a 220 grain bullet? I have started doing some work with the 8mm Mag and the 220 Swift A-Frame and am looking for a little confirmation.

Thanks, Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe, I'm just trying out this particular combo myself, and haven't got it to the range yet. (Still winter here) Once I get some more info, I'll post it. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dan. Maybe I'll be a little farther along by then as well.

Initial tests look promising though.

Trying to get any range work done in winter is frustrating. Here it can't decide if it's spring, summer or winter.

Joe.

<Matt77>
posted
Tried it, got alright results. I chronogpraphed them and seem to remember 2900 average, but can't remember the charge. Also, a man I know who shoots 1000 yard matches says the reloader 25 is too slow to burn in any small barrel. Hence, the 24 inch barrel is too short for all the powder to burn. You can probably get the same accuracy with a faster burning powder. Also, I tried the Noslers in 180 grain using IMR-4831. Excellent accuracy, and they flew outta the barrel with an average in the upper 3000's. I'd have to find the records, etc...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Matt. Keep us posted. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some quick data...
Hornady 220...84.0 grns RE-25...3001fps

Swift 220...82.0 grns RE-25...3020fps

Both those loads were warm (probably too warm for hot weather) but accurate enough to be promising. The wind was nearly calm, temps in the 60s with horrible mirage.

Rifle is a mostly stock 700 Classic with the 24 inch barrel. Overall length was 3.660"-ish for both loads.

Just as a reference, my old load that accounted for an elk and a couple of whitetails, was 80.0 grains of H-4831 and a Sierra 220 at 2890fps.

Thanks, Joe

[This message has been edited by JMac (edited 03-28-2002).]

<Matt77>
posted
did you experience any pressure signs with those velocities? Thanks, Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing like hard bolt lift or hard extraction but when I went up one more grain in each of these loads you could start to see the ejector hole print on the back of the brass. So they are definitely getting warm.

Actually it looks like 80.0 under the Swift may be the best load. About 2930fps and about one inch groups.

The 8mm Mag certainly would be happier with a 26 inch barrel. So would the STW/STA offspring and the 300 Weatherby. I have considered putting a 26 inch tube on another 700 action I have just to see what would happen.

Joe.

<Matt77>
posted
a 26 inch tube would be cool. possibly then we'd see more difference with the slower burning powders?
One thing is I'd like to see data on an 8mm RUM.. full size not baby sized shorties. It'd have to have a 26 inch tube.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 8mm Rem Mag has a 26" barrel, and it really helps out. With RL22 and 220 gr Hornadies, 3100 fps with no pressure signs at all. I agree, an 8mm RUM sounds very interesting. - Dan