Find
Notify
Tools

35 WHELEN FANS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine shoots good !
I have heard they are spoty, some good some not so good. I am thinking of building another Whelen, wood,on either a VZ 24 I have or an old JC higgins FN, I just bought.
I will likly go with a Douglas on the next one. But The a&b was chaberd fine and since I had it done in matt it did,nt need to be polished.
I caould be talked into another AB barrel for the new prject fairly easily...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Whelen is on a VZ24 action with an AB stainless barrel and Corlite stock( midway USA package). It is off being bead blasted at the moment but when it comes back I will post a pic. It is a sub MOA rifle with 225 gr Nosler BTs. Too bad nosler has discontinued them... I just got 10 boxes to stock up from Natchez. The rifle is glass bedded.. It wears a Smith and Wesson Performance Optics 3x89x42.

Posts: 109 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very wise choice for all 'heavy' North American game, it doesn't belt one like .338 or .375Mags.
Had a lovely Ruger with on/off safety in the right place like most of my SxS shotguns. Cool
I used Remi Core-Lockts in 225 and 250gr weight, if I remember correctly.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I too have one built on a VZ-24 and A&B bbl, but I went with a Claro walnut stock. One of my favorite rifles and shoots great.. The extra meat on the #34 contor bbl makes recoil a non issue. Fantastic Elk round.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HUNTS
posted Hide Post
My 35 Whelen is a new NEF Handi-rifle. I topped it with a Weaver K4 scope and Burris Zee rings. I've been shooting 200 grain Remington Cor-locts as the local store has been selling them cheap($18). I'll use the brass and RCBS die to reload some 250 grain Speer Hot Cores and Nosler Partitions for my next trip to the range.

Posts: 161 | Location: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
Ahh raybass...what to say of the 35 Whelen (See my user name). Mine is built on an old VZ24 action with a 24" Douglas barrel with a 1-12(or is it 1-14?) twist. Black Parkerized finish and a good Burris 4x scope all set in a composite stock. I built this rig as a no-nonsense, tough, ride-all-day-in-a-saddle-scabbard-use-it in-any-weather rifle.I LOVE mine. I too shoot the 225 gr. TSX with Re-15. I at first shot 225 gr. Nosler Partitions and 225 gr. Sierras both at around 2650 fps. Only killed deer with the Sierras, but got a large bull elk with the Partition. I was disappointed in the performance of the Nosler, so switched to the TSX. With 62 gr. of Re-15,I was able to attain 2723 fps, but due to the VZ's short-ish magazine and the long TSX bullet, it was too much powder (Capacity wise...pressure was OK). So, I backed off to 61 gr. which netted 2665 fps. Accuracy is INCREDIBLE with the TSX with most groups easily going under 1". My Dad shot a nice 6x6 with the rig last year and the bullet performance was textbook.
Here's a pic of the rifle with me and my bull:

Here's a pic of the TSX that came out of Dad's bull after travelling from the anus to the front of the right shoulder:

And whoever said the 35 Whelen in 700 Classic kicks was RIGHT!! Dad has a Classic in the Whelen and it absolutely kicks the PISS out of me. Problem is the light weight of the rifle. I believe this is due in large part to the fact that the barrel appears to be made from the same blank as say a 270, 280 30-06, etc. Of ccourse the .35 caliber bore requires removing more metal which of course makes the barrel significantly lighter.
Regards,
35W

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"- Col. Townsend Whelen

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCSteve
posted Hide Post
Since we're talking Whelen, I'll bring back the bullet test I did a few months ago. I've since settled on the 225 TSX at 2680-2700fps with 1MOA and under for this moose season.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=896106805#896106805

One of Us
posted Hide Post
35 Whelen, Good looking bull. Was wondering what your rifle weights compared to your Dads if you happen to know.
BTW, Great Post and Pics. Karry