Merkel KR 1
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It have been tested in many European magazines, and they find it to be rather good. I have not used one myself, but then again I would choose a Sauer 202 if I wanted a rifle to switch barrels to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WTF? Why do German gunmakers keep increasing the complexity of their rifles every year?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One reason is that over here we are not trusted to own so many rifles or shotguns. Government think we are more dangerous if we own many guns than only a few. And in the horrible case if a gun is stolen it is not the criminal that get big conseqensis but the legal lawabiding gunowner. He will be outquestioned by the authorities, did you have it locked in a safe and so on. And in the end it may very well be sothat the gunowner looses all his gunlicenses, which means that the state will take all guns with no compensation. And all this because of a criminal who broke into one´s house. Sick, isn´t it!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I briefly handled one of these the other day at my gunsmith's, I can't say I left wanting one badly. But then again, as I said, I only handled it briefly.

As to why new models continue to appear on the German market, the answer is that the Blaser R93 almost drove any other mid- to upper-priced maker of bolt action rifles out of the market. If you look at all the new rifles coming out, they are all attempting to take over some or all of the R93 features - e.g. switch barrel option, short build (no receiver), manual cocking action etc etc. That is probably what make them appear complicated to a US customer.

I can think of the following manufacturers who introduced new bolt action rifle models since the appearance of the R93: Steyr, Heym, Mauser, Krico - and I'm sure a bunch more. Almost all of them either went bust or have seen their market share dramatically reduced by the R93.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I will soldier on with my CZ 550 Full Stock.