Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby .338-378
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Members,

I acquired a Weatherby Accumark in .338-378, would there be any improvement glass bedding the rifle?

My wife give it to me as a gift, she said it will fix my Rotator Cuff problem.

I also would like to know is this an accurate round & setup, don’t know much about that fancy stuff, which ammo is the most accurate?

Any help & info would be most appreciated.
Thank you,
Roland

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roland1:
My wife give it to me as a gift, she said it will fix my Rotator Cuff problem.

animal animal animal

Yep, it will fix that problem Wink...

The Accumark rifles already have an aluminum bedding block and are free floated. I would find out how accurate you find it first before bedding it. Skim bedding is what I've heard is used for these rifles.

Hopefully you are a reloader as you will find that factory ammo for it is quite expensive (about $100 a box). I think Weatherby is the only company selling factory ammo for this cartridge...

I found mine to be quite accurate right out of the box using factory 225g Barnes loads... I am just now beginning to reload for it and I'm sure I will find a load more accurate then the factory ammo (about MOA)...

All I can say is that it is a riot to shoot and has enough power to take anything in North America and most of the world... Even at long ranges by the way...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My two 338-378s shot .25 " groups out of the box.They are a pain to keep clean.I have to totally clean out the barrel every 60 shots or it totally shoots patterns.AS friend UI took hunting borrowed mine and shot two caribou with one shot at 450 yards.I like the Accurmark and the 338-378.I have a Nikon 6.5x20 and a 5.5 x15 power scope on mine.I found myself using these guns 95% of the time.I bought two so I would not hear the wine if its too far to shoot.I would shoot a moose to 700-800 yards with it.I have shot under an inch at 300 yards with mine.My pet load is 109 grs of reloader 25 ,250 gr nosler partition and federal 215 mag primers.I bought 1500 pieces of 416 weatherby brass and necked it down.I got the brass from loaded 416 weatherby that I got for $27 a box.I love these guns they are the best long range rifles made under 10 pounds.I just have to try my hardest not to shoot out the barrel.I stick to 250,275 and 300 gr bullets.I have some 325 gr bonded .338 bullets made just for the 338-378 that I have to try.The 300 gr serria match king is supose to be awesome at lone range but I have only shot it at targets.I have not shot over a 5/8"group at 100 yards or over 1 3/4" at 300 yards with my gun.Its the most accurate gun I have ever shot.Its not for everyone buit its awesome.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
My two 338-378s shot .25 " groups out of the box.They are a pain to keep clean.I have to totally clean out the barrel every 60 shots or it totally shoots patterns.AS friend UI took hunting borrowed mine and shot two caribou with one shot at 450 yards.I like the Accurmark and the 338-378.I have a Nikon 6.5x20 and a 5.5 x15 power scope on mine.I found myself using these guns 95% of the time.I bought two so I would not hear the wine if its too far to shoot.I would shoot a moose to 700-800 yards with it.I have shot under an inch at 300 yards with mine.My pet load is 109 grs of reloader 25 ,250 gr nosler partition and federal 215 mag primers.I bought 1500 pieces of 416 weatherby brass and necked it down.I got the brass from loaded 416 weatherby that I got for $27 a box.I love these guns they are the best long range rifles made under 10 pounds.I just have to try my hardest not to shoot out the barrel.I stick to 250,275 and 300 gr bullets.I have some 325 gr bonded .338 bullets made just for the 338-378 that I have to try.The 300 gr serria match king is supose to be awesome at lone range but I have only shot it at targets.I have not shot over a 5/8"group at 100 yards or over 1 3/4" at 300 yards with my gun.Its the most accurate gun I have ever shot.Its not for everyone buit its awesome.

I wish I had half your recoil absorbing ability and half your testosterone level....
and half of your budget to afford to feed those rifles...

I yield to my betters...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
and half of your budget to afford to feed those rifles...
Yah, I totally agree with that one. I'm pissed my 340 Accumark is so expensive to feed; I can't imagine paying twice as much for brass and loaded ammo!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought my Accumarks for $1000 each and I have reloaded all but one box of ammo.I deloaded the 416 Weatherby that was $27 a box and used the 410 gr woodleigh bullets in my 416 rem mag and the Norma MPR powder in my 338 and 264 win mag.I necked all the cases down in two steps lots of work.I already had a bunch of 250 gr Nosler Partitions that I had for my 338 win mag.To me the 338-378 Weatherby with the brake on kicks like a 270.I could burn the barrel out its so fun to shoot.I usually shoot my 416 Rem mag at least 100 times with reduced loads.I use two past pads standing with a milk crate and a 60 pound bull bag.It will really inprove your shooting.Its alot cheaper to shoot if you reload.I but at least two 8 pound kegs of reloader 25.I load them all on my dillion 550.I almost bought a third 338-378 just to keep in case or an investiment.You can find them on gunbroker or gunsamerica for $1200 alot of times.I sold a bunch of my smaller guns 243,308,30-06,44 mag,45-70,35 whelen and bought the two 338-378 weatherbys and my 6 416 rem mags.Its alot cheaper to stick to the same diameter also.I have 338 win mags also.Its alot cheaper than you think in the long run.As far as recoil goes I learned to roll with the punch from reading elmer Keith.I also usually stick to 338 and larger for game bigger than deer.So if you have a bunch of little guns in the closet doing nothing sell them to a kid or young hunter who needs them.I sold a bunch of rifles I had for my 5 wheel and land in Alaska also.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is moderately accurate with the bullets I want to use in it.

I've just built a 338/300Rum Improved on a M700 action, HS-Precison bottom metal and stock and a Jewell trigger and a nice tight match barrel from Robert Tobler..........looks like it's going to be a tack driver with virtually everything I feed it. thumb

The action is bedded in Devcon Steel and the 27" #5 barrel has been double stress relieved. Nightforce NXS scope in Near rings and on a one piece Near base...................

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an interesting rig Blair... What kind of weight are we talking here??? By the way, no question about the Near rings a base... I've been seriously considering the Near base in 10 MOA as replacements for my rifles....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken,

With the NXS on it; it is close to 11.5 pounds Big Grin

Pull it off and put a Leupold on it and you save 18 ounces................

The Near gear is great...........I'd put them on your MKV's thumb

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
blair,

what load data are you using for your 338/378, currently using 2225 and 225gn pills

Posts: 191 | Location: Australia | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cc,

I haven't tried 2225 in it.......best accuracy was with Re-25....113 grains and a 215M primer.

Re-25 seems to be the powder that works with all bullet weights in it.

Blair.