New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger MKII
 Login/Join

Picture of boomer453
posted
I saw a MK II for sale the other day in 35 whelen. I've always wanted a whelen but i've have not shot the ruger with that (in my opinion) goofy looking synthetic stock, any opinions on the stock would be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up the exact same gun last year except it had a Bell and Carlson stock on it. I never cared for the Ruger Synthetic stocks so I was happy with my purchase. Love the gun, trying to use it on my spring bear permit here in Washington.

Picture of boomer453
posted Hide Post
I don't really care for the looks either but if it still shoulders and fits well i'll buy it. I was just wondering if the "scalloped" stock affects the way it fits against the cheek/face

One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boomer453:
I don't really care for the looks either but if it still shoulders and fits well i'll buy it. I was just wondering if the "scalloped" stock affects the way it fits against the cheek/face

You won't have any problem with it. It's a good tough stock, ugly but it gets the job done. I wish they still made them.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with that stock, but I do have experience with a Ruger Mark II. I like everything about it except the trigger. It is not adjustable, and you practically have to sit on it before it lets off.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of boomer453
posted Hide Post
Any idea of what twist rate ruger used in that caliber?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jump on it... I would in a heartbeat.

That stock is a five minute swap for the newer style and you can sell the boat paddle version you've got. Some guys like them more than the newer style stocks.

Or you can go with one of the more expensive aftermarket synthetic stocks too.

Ruger triggers vary and can sometimes be tuned up a bit or for around $75 you can put in a Timney and have no worries.

I'm a huge Ruger fan and the MkII's are fantastic working rifles. They're rugged as hell and very reliable.

I prefer that boat paddle stock myself and have swapped the newer stock for the boat paddle on newer Rugers. It's not "hollow sounding" like the newer factory Ruger synthetics. Believe it or not that stock "grows" on you after awhile, give it a try. You can always replace it.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boomer453:
Any idea of what twist rate ruger used in that caliber?

1-16 inches.

I had one of the Ruger M77 MkII rifles in .35 Whelen (Davidson's special run) with the "boat paddle" stock. It was a great shooter. 225 gr Sierra's and 250 gr Hornadys (Spire Point and Round Nose) shot great using RL-15. I decided I wanted a CZ 550 in 9.3x62 so I sold the Ruger. Nothing wrong with the .35 Whelen, though.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only negative comment I have is that the hand on the "boat paddle stock" is a little too small. They do look a little odd, but it's my view that they are a better stock than the newer one.
If the boat paddle is not to your taste they are easily replaced.
A Ruger in 35 Whelen should be a good gun.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as stocks, I like to buy Stainless Rugers with the synthetic stock.... then I take it off and order a JRS Stock from Boyds (http://www.boydboys.com) for $65.00. It takes a couple of leisurely hours to finish the stock...Available in gray or brown laminates...

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Frankly, the new Ruger Synthetic's are a vast improvement over the old boat paddle design in every respect. The new incarnation is the stiffest of the "tupperware" stocks I've seen.

Here's a 350 Rem Mag I just had Dave Gentry Bead Blast. I like it a bit better than the 35 Whelen as it has a 1-12" twist and is a bit lighter even though it has an all-steel (non aluminum) floorplate... no flies on a Whelen tho!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger "canoe paddle" stock is a love it or hate it item. Personally I love them and wish I had one on my M77 30/06 STD rifle. I have one on an All Weather 243 and it is great. If anyone wants to trade a canoe paddle for a very nice walnut stock long action let me know.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1188 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote