Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber 84M
 Login/Join

posted
Is here any opinions of the Kimber 84M in .308?
Accuracy? reliability?

What i have seen so far is everything else than good, so it would be interesting to hear other peoples testresults.

Regards Sten gun

Posts: 21 | Location: Europe | Registered: 24 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
There are tons of info here on the Kimber 84m just search Kimber 84m

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I have owned four Kimber 84s. All of them shot MOA with handloads - never shot any factory stuff. I think they're a great gun for the money. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a .243 and a 7mm-08 in the M84s. They are 2 of my favorite rifles. They have had a problem with reliable feeding however because of the follower and spring being improperly designed. This can be fixed with a spacer installed in front of the spring, in the bottom of the magazine channel. I fixed mine and would not trade either one for any thing.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have so far tried 3 .308 rifles.
All of them failed to feed RN bullets, often will the left cartridge in the magazine feed right into the barrel on the right side of the chamber instead of the chamber.
Accuracy have been poor 2-3 MOA.
One stock was cracked.
Bedding on all of them was improperly made.
It feels quite frustrating, as there is a lot of things that really is right on those rifles, but here sure is more faults that I am willing to accept.

Regards Sten gun

Posts: 21 | Location: Europe | Registered: 24 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too bad to. They are great looking rifles. I love mine ( after I fixed the feeding problem) Both mine will group into 1/2" at 100, but then again only with 1 load. Luckly with the Barnes triple shocks I wanted to use from the start. And only with IMR4350. The old fancy wood stocked Kimber .270 I had several years ago would only group with the heavy RN bullets when loaded down somewhat. Sold it! I hope Kimber get's there quality control under control. I'd like another Kevlar and stainless in one of the larger calibers; maybe .338, But won't buy until I start hearing good reports. Good shootin'

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple 84M's, a 7-08 and a 308 SA. The only thing that frustrates me about the 7-08 is that it shoots inexpensive (but good) 140gr Fusions into 1/2-3/4 MOA which is about as good as any of my handloads - I keep thinking my handloads would shoot even better but the Fusions would work for anything I'd hunt with it.
The 308 is about a 3/4 MOA or somewhat better on good days gun with 168gr TSX's which again is good enough for anything I'd hunt with it.
Both are wood guns, one of these days I'd like to try one in a Montana.
The 84M's feel almost dainty too me. The 8400's fit me near perfect and I have several of them.
I'm a big Kimber fan. All that I've had have shot at least MOA (3-shot groups) and some have shot much better. You have to pay close attention to your bench technique with the guns but they handle well in the field - I made my longest shot ever on a whitetail with one last year.
I guess some guys have had problems with them, I only had to do any real work on 1 of my 9 - it needed the floorplate bedded............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi DJ, sounds like you have a winner. Yup, 3 shot groups are all I try for with them a s well, as the light barrels heat up quickly. BUT, I figure if I need more then that for hunting, I need to learn to shoot better the first time. It's good to hear about the 8400s shooting that well. I may have to look into the .338. Most every rifle I've ever owned seemed to need at least a small amount of work before being totally exceptable, so that's mnot bad at all. Last weekend a hunting buddy of mine and myself were out hunting high up in the coast range. He kept trying to get me to give him my M84 to carry, as his Ruger 77 was killing him climbing up the steep skid road. I gladly trade off the added weight for such a light rifle that shots it's first 3 rounds into a 1/2". Good shootin'

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never owned one but have handled several. The latest 8400 is a used .260, and I was pretty interested except for the Magazine follower binding up and having to push it with my fingers. I could leave with the poor bedding, but for $825 felt it best to pass.

I will say that the rifle does fit me about the best I have ever handled! Find a good one and you have a winner in my opinion.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote