one of us
posted

Article

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Excellent article, thanks for posting it.

I've said this before, but I'll write it again. The 270 that I own is without question the finest "off the rack" rifle I've ever owned. It will consistently shoot 3/4" groups with all ammo, except Remington. I changed the trigger, and it wears a 3x9 Leupold. I have thought about installing a 4x Burris that I own, it would fit the rifles lines a bit better.

For a $130.00 a man could buy himself a rifle that today would cost about $1400.00 as I figure. Not to bad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is one tiny error in it as the M51 was a checkered M50 and not a Huskvarna.

Join the NRA

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I understand they were put together by High Standard and not FN either. I can't verify that though.

one of us
Picture of sbhva
posted Hide Post
And the confusion continues. The Model 51-L is the rifle that uses the Husqvarna action with barrels and stockwork done by High Standard. I don't know if the FN guns (models 50 and 51) were done completely by FN or if they were built up by someone else.

Steve

Posts: 120 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Model 50 actions were made by FN. High standard used them to make the J.C. Higgins M50 and 51 for Sears. One of my favorite rifles. Four of them, two made into custom guns.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
of course I am not at home so can't look, what do I look for in the identification to see if it is 50 or 51? one of mine is a very fine custom (that I have only shot 5 times, swear, just never get to scoping it and making ammo) and has no identifiers above the woodline that I can remember. The other is still marked as when left sears, it is the one with the same hole spacing on the front ring and bridge.

any extra info. appreciated.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The M50 and 51's were made by High Standard in New Haven, CT. This would have been about 1950.

My late dad owned a tool and die shop that made tooling for High Standard. I can recall waiting in his car when he went into their building.

He tried to get one for free as he told me but he had to pay. He got one for himself and his brother. Both were M51 30-06's and my uncles had a Sears scope. I think he paid about $50 ea. I still have that rifle.

The bores were said to be chrome lined.

Join the NRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99 your right ,The article is wrong about the model 51 being a Husqavarna. The 51 is a FN Belgium mauser and had a upgrade stock.

I have a like new condition M51 .270. It is marked 51 on the barrel. Has rap around checkering on the forearm , checkered grip ,and a cheek piece stock with a black plastic grip cap and butt plate , No whiteline spacer.

Marked, FN action Made in Belgium, I found it at a gun shop about 5 years ago. Looks like its was never shot or used. Still has the original trigger.

Ive heard about the chrome lined barrel too.

Nice rifle!

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
A number of house-brand rifles in the 1950s including Sears and some Montgomery Wards rifles were made on FN Deluxe and Supreme actions. Today, these rifles and various semi-custom FNs made with Bishop, Fajen or other stocks and Belgium-made FN Deluxe Sporters can often be bought for a fraction of what a similar quality rifle would cost to produce today. The best values on the market by far.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man these rifles better not get anymore press, I jsut pick one up the other day for 150 and I dont want ot have to pay any more than that for them. I have one that is now my 9.3, and I think I'll do this one up to 458wm to complete my safari set. Cool

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine happily wears a Pac-Nor 6.5x55 barrel. They are a really hard to beat value.

I bought mine without knowing what I was getting. All I knew was that it had a Belgian action, and that sounded good. With a little research I concluded it was my lucky day.

Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I've owned 4 , but now only have 2. Both were bought for 275.00 and I feel like I stole them. I shot a 3x4 Blacktail/Muledeer cross at 5000 feet with the 1st 30-06 I purchased. The buck jumped up out of it's bed, I shouldered the rifle and shot so fast that I can hardly remember the shot. I remember clearly seeing the rack, and then bam. The buck stumbled and fell.

To this day it is the best shot on a game animal I've ever made. That rifle fits me like the stock was carved as an extension of my shoulder.

I would also agree that they are the best value for your dollar on the used gun market today.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Husqvarna 270 with the FN action. It is late 1950s production or early 1960s. Accuracy in the rifle is nothing to write home about and the trigger is just horrible.

Is there something that I am missing that everyone talks about how great these rifles are?

I know I need to change the trigger in it, and was thinking of rebarreling it to a 6mm Remington.

Cheers and good shooting
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire , Is yours the JC higgins with the huqvarna action? Thats the later model , Isnt that a push feed? Safety part of the trigger aluminum bottom metal? I dont care for that one.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire triggered something worth commenting on: The triggers on the 50 are dangerous. Cock the firearm, then undo the action screws and lift the receiver out of the stock. The firearm will discharge. The trigger mechanism comes apart in the middle, the top part going with the receiver, and the bottom part staying with the trigger guard. As they separate, the trigger is released. That happened to me once, it got a Timney.

Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not all M50 came with the trigger that is pinned to the trigger guard. I have one with an adjustable trigger that looks much like a timmey(spelling?). Talking with Jack Belk he said those triggers were junk, but mine adjusted to a crispt 2/12lbs. and has stayed there. I recently rebarreled it to 250/3000.

I've also owned a JC Higgens on a Husky. And I have a M57 Sako that came with a Mont. Wards barrel. It is now rebarreled to 25 Souper. This M57 Sako is very smooth and in every way a great action, as is my M50-250/3000. Pedro

Posts: 107 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Marlin also built a few rifles on the FN Deluxe action, with MicroGroove stainless steel barrels, the Model 455. I have two, one with a factory installed Lyman 48, both with semi-fancy walnut stocks, neat rifles.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I think Herters built a few on the FN action to. They were called J9's if I'm not mistaken.

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
My dad's first deer rifle was a 270 that had the FN action, my dad talks as if the rifle was magic and refers to it as that "belgium rifle" cause of what I would call a string of lucky shots. one of the early problems he had with it was it discharging accidently, it did it a couple times once putting a hole in the roof of his truck. I guess this saftey problem prolly effected his gun too.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Add Colt to the list of Gunmakers that used FN actions. Remember the Colteer, It was alway advertised on the inside cover of Out Door Life. They came in 30/06, 270/ & 243. I despertly wanted one in 243 but as a kid didn't have anything close to enough money. I believe an outfit named Klines alway ran an ad on that inside page. Anyway, on my 14th. birthday my dad surprised me with an L579 Sako barreled action in 243Win. and helped me with an old Hutchison stock. I think dad paid $87 for that Sako. Those were the days.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sbhva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Seafire , Is yours the JC higgins with the huqvarna action? Thats the later model , Isnt that a push feed? Safety part of the trigger aluminum bottom metal? I dont care for that one.

Sounds like you are confusing at least 3 different rifles here GSP7. Seafire is referring to the post WWII thru mid 1950's Husqvarna rifles that were based on the FN commercial 98 action.

This thread has morphed into a discussion of rifles made with FN actions with other maker's names on them.

Steve

Posts: 120 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage99: There is now a pretty evident popularity of these Model 50 Rifles. I have shared tables at Gunshows throughout the west with a real Model 50 advocate. He buys and sells them and scours sportshops and pawnshops for these to resell! He has outfitted his sons and daughter and in-laws and now grandkids with these dependable and good shooting Rifles!
I have personally seen and examined two of these Model 50's that have the dovetail for the rear sight cut into the barrel up very near the action! Like one inch from it! Then they have installed a long open sight like is shown in your picture but the sight is "backwards" with the leaf part being nearer the muzzle than the dovetail! These use a standard elevator piece. These two Rifles were checked very carefully and there was no way it was a redo or a fill in of the "normal" dovetail location and recut it situation.
I am certain my friend has bought and resold at least 40 of these Rifles over the years. And like I said he has about 10 for himself and his relatives. Never heard of one having a problem as yet. $350.00 is going price at Gunshows for really nice examples of these - as I recall.
Long live the Model 50!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sbhva. Yes, Thats why I asked if he was referring to the JC higgins Husky. JC higgins had a rifle with a push feed Husky action also.

one of us
Picture of sbhva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
sbhva. Yes, Thats why I asked if he was referring to the JC higgins Husky. JC higgins had a rifle with a push feed Husky action also.

I have never heard of a JC Higgins that used the Husqvarna push-feed (factory term=1900) action. Are you thinking of the Smith & Wesson rifles made by Husqvarna?

Steve

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
A few years back I picked up a Wards Western Field mod. EJN-757 Belgen Made Mauser in 30-06.
The Monte Carlo stock had deep cut checkering and the 22" barrel was super light.The floor plate magazine release was ovolure and protruded about 3/16". There was no aluminum on this rifle. It wore a 4 power Bushnell scope and except for a slight crack in the stock behind the tang it was almost mint. In passing I offered the seller $200.00 as I wasn't in love with the rifle and I really didn't need it. He said no but that night called me at home and accepted.

For a light hunting rifle the repeatabilty is exceptional. The 170 gr. 30-30 bullets driven at 2500 to 2600 fps. are almost one holers at 50 yds.

I don't know who did what and when on the creation of this Western Field but I'd wager that with litlle else being different except for the stamping on the barrels it's the twin of some J.C.Higgins. sleeproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote