Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 2008 Catalog
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://www.winchesterguns.com/

I wasnt sure if everyone had noticed but I see they now have the 2008 catalog on their website. Mike

Posts: 74 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Until they find a new home in America and get back to their roots, I'm done with 'em. If I'm going to buy a rifle I have to fix, I'll buy it off the used rack...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Until they find a new home in America
?

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So is this the new Kung Pao Winchester or Kamakazi Winchester or Vladimr Winchester? What exactly are we looking at here??

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Until they find a new home in America

They did, at the FN plant in Columbia, South Carolina where FN makes M-16's for the U.S. Military.

That's where the Model 70 is now being made.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckshot:
Until they find a new home in America and get back to their roots, I'm done with 'em. If I'm going to buy a rifle I have to fix, I'll buy it off the used rack...

What are you talking about?

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I realize they're made by FN in the U.S.A., but they aren't the Winchester we all know and love. They are made here solely to keep the FN SPR production line going, not to make the "Rifleman's rifle."

And I also realize 'Winchester" died in 1981, but at least the earlier classic model 70 tried to stay true to its roots. 2008 rifles can't claim that, not with a new trigger anyway.
And another thing -I'd never, never pay $1000- for one of those. What in the hell were they thinking?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've dumped all my Winchesters...and gone to Ruger Hawkeyes...what a fine rifle this is..trim stock and great balance and adjustable trigger finally...finally Ruger maybe has figured things out better...

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't imajine dumping a rifle I have not seen yet. I liked the old trigger real well.
But I am not goona talk the new one down site unseen.
I have high hopes for the new model 70s
But I like the Ruger hawkeys too.
And the restocked CZ 550 is slick.
But after looking at the catalog , I,ll take one of those featherweight .308s and a supergrade in 300 Win.
I am very incouraged that while not exactly a guarente they are mentioning you can expect 1 inch with good ammo and optics.
all looks good to me.
I have an old FN 270 and 2 rifles built on FN recievers.
Top notch.
I have alot of optimisum on the model 70s
Of corse I realize i might get let down.
But If I see a real steel hinged floor plate I might get hurt doing back flips !
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Did they put a picture of someone hunting with a Remington Rifle in it?

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I sorta like the stainless 308 but I won't pay that much for one.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
can you guys help an old man with tri-focals out?
I looked all over and could not find the models they are chambering in 375 Ruger, OR any ammunition or brass for it...

sign me,

Broken-Hearted

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
can you guys help an old man with tri-focals out?

It's just not your age that you need help with . . .

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ISS, Can you help a young man out and get me a new prescription because I don't see any models chambered in 375 H&H either. So what is your point and what does it have to do with Winchester 2008 models? If you want to flame the 375 Ruger some more, why don't you go back to the thread that you started solely for that purpose and leave this thread unmolested.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really don't see the new models being that far out of the realistic price range IF the quality is there. The 338 Win. Supergrade's retail price is only $60 more expensive than the Ruger Model 77 Hawkeye African. I am hoping that they will produce rifles with some good quality in an effort to try and regain some of the market share. If anything, at least the reintroduction of new rifles ,at what is in my opinion a fair price, may bring the premium being charged for the used Model 70's back down out of the stratosphere. I am not some huge Winchester banner waver, but I do hope they succeed in the reintroduction of the Model 70. Competition among the gunmakers is good in my opinion and forces companies to give consumers the best product they can for a given price category.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting lack of the 7mm Rem mag as a caliber choice - one that I thought certainly would be a standard choice option.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
More calibers are certain to be released; I assume. It is intersting to notice that the only 2 chamberings that are not Winchester cartrdges are the 30-06 in all models and the 7-08 Remingtion in the Featherweight only.

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Interesting the 1 MOA "guarantee" on the non-featherweight models.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was suprised at no 7mag too.
The retail price is probably at least 150.00 more than than the off the shelf price will be.
FN knows how to build a rifle. USRC could build a rifle prety well most of the time but could not do so at a proffit.
As with any buisness, if there is no money in it it changes or dies...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess would be $950 for the deluxe and $800 for the others once they hit the stores. Whether or not they're worth it remains to be seen. I'm curious to see them once they come out.

I'm a little dissapointed with the caliber selections. I don't know why gun makers don't chamber more rifles in .338-06 or at least a .35 Whelen. I know the answer: push the WSMs but if you want to sell more rifles, I would think they would offer more caliber selections.

Whatever.....